Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

"Freedom of Speech is the ability to express your beliefs as long as society agrees" watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree or disagree with the statement? Why?

ReputationRep:
    I have never agreed more with a statement in my entire life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Freedom of Speech is the freedom to express your beliefs as long as you're not infringing on other people's freedoms, e.g. the freedom to feel safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D_Fielding)
    True freedom of speech is being able to speak your mind without fear of any legal repercussions - that's the whole point. nowadays we don't really have this anymore, it's been lost in this increasingly ridiculous political correctness. I am completely against racism, sexism, and prejudice against the LGBTQ+ community and i believe that those who encourage those things should be judged by society, not by the law, unless it becomes harassment or begins to manifest itself into violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D_Fielding)
    I wish I can disagree but... yeah, that's basically what freedom of speech is. I'm trying to disagree but, just skimming through youtube comments shows what freedom of speech is really like.

It's not as if people are deliberately doing that but with all this laws and social conducts and stuff, that statement basically states what freedom of speech has to be. I think that the only moment we can truly have freedom of speech is when there's no laws regarding speech, no restrictions, no beliefs or stuff like that restricting what we say, which basically means that some of the stuff that defines our society needs to be abolished or something for freedom of speech to truly happen.

It's like self-defence though and stuff, if you restrict it, it's regarded as horrible but if you allow it, it's still regarded as horrible.

... This is just my opinion btw, I'm not trying to offend anyone.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

ReputationRep:
    Germaine Greer is 100% spot-on.
    We all knew where this thread was going.

ReputationRep:
    Agree.

ReputationRep:
    It really bothers me when people start using the term “freedom of speech” to try to excuse homophobic/racist opinions.

I personally do not believe that saying that you are against gay people is an acceptable opinion, therefore, the term freedom of speech can't be applied in this cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    It really bothers me when people start using the term “freedom of speech” to try to excuse homophobic/racist opinions.

I personally do not believe that saying that you are against gay people is an acceptable opinion, therefore, the term freedom of speech can't be applied in this cases.
    And how will you enforce that? What is the "right" opinion and what is the "wrong"? What are you basing it on? Current social trends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    And how will you enforce that? What is the "right" opinion and what is the "wrong"? What are you basing it on? Current social trends?
    I don't really think that being gay or being black is a “social trend”. I do believe in respect. It's never going to be right if you are discriminating someone for any reason.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think that being gay or being black is a “social trend”. I do believe in respect. It's never going to be right if you are discriminating someone for any reason.
    I didn't say that being gay/black is the social trend, accepting race and sexuality is. Also, you can be respectful to anyone whilst having differing opinions. You do not need to have like-minded opinions to be civil.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that people gay/black is the social trend, accepting race and sexuality is. Also, you can be respectful to anyone whilst having differing opinions. You do not need to have like-minded opinions to be civil.
    Do you think that not accepting someone due to their race or sexuality is right?
    Do you honestly think that trying to reduce their rights for their race or sexuality is right?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with the statement but sadly it is true

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that not accepting someone due to their race or sexuality is right?
    Do you honestly think that trying to reduce their rights for their race or sexuality is right?
    I did not say neither was right or wrong, I think you're assuming here.
    Do you have friends that have different opinions then you? In politics? In football? Do you accept them? Do you reduce their rights?

Having different opinions is not equal to discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I did not say neither was right or wrong, I think you're assuming here.
    Do you have friends that have different opinions then you? In politics? In football? Do you accept them? Do you reduce their rights?

Having different opinions is not equal to discrimination.
    I think that you might not have quite understood my point.
    I am not saying that people can't think for religous (or whatever) reasons differently. I have said that it really bothers me when they try to excuse their dicriminatory acts (If they are discriminating people) with the termin of “freedom of speech”.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree

Freedom of Speech means the government can not infringe on what you say. Anyone else can tell you to shut your face as much as they like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoafanuk)
    True freedom of speech is being able to speak your mind without fear of any legal repercussions - that's the whole point. nowadays we don't really have this anymore, it's been lost in this increasingly ridiculous political correctness. I am completely against racism, sexism, and prejudice against the LGBTQ+ community and i believe that those who encourage those things should be judged by society, not by the law, unless it becomes harassment or begins to manifest itself into violence.
    Name one society in history where free speech has been absolute, and where you can say absolutely anything you want.

Free speech has never been totally unrestricted, though I agree that any restrictions should be minor and only if absolutely necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Free speech is a modern concept. Very few societies in history have allowed their citizens to say anything they want, unpunished.

Free speech should be unrestricted (in a criminal law sense) save for when it advocates harm or affects people's peaceful enjoyment of their day-to-day lives.

ReputationRep:
    I think that you might not have quite understood my point.
    I am not saying that people can't think for religous (or whatever) reasons differently. I have said that it really bothers me when they try to excuse their dicriminatory acts (If they are discriminating people) with the termin of “freedom of speech”.
    Yeah people being violent or ignoring rights for any reason should not be condoned but I do not like it when people say that everyone has free speech yet any unpopular views are silenced/demonised and the people holding them rejected. This leads to resent which leads to crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Disagree

Freedom of Speech means the government can not infringe on what you say. Anyone else can tell you to shut your face as much as they like.
    THIS

Whenever bigots get shouted at (rightfully so) for being bigots, they go on about 'freedom of speech' as if a policeman is going to show up on their doorstep any minute

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.