Turn on thread page Beta

Asking someone if they're racist watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going out for drinks with a guy in a few days. I had a crush on him, got him on facebook, but now some things I've seen on his facebook are alarming!
    For example, he liked a page called "I'm white." which posts many pictures of beautiful (only white) women.. people comment on these photos about protecting European culture... keeping it white...

In another post, he has shared a video of a non-European migrant who is not enjoying living in Britain. It is pouring with rain in the video, he looks freezing, and comments on the weather here in Europe... so this guy has written as a caption, "Lol, 'racist weather'" even though the man does not mention racism at all.

He doesn't seem racist in person, but his anti-european activity on facebook is alarming me. How can I ask him about this in a non threatening way? I'd like to find out in the getting-to-know-each-other stage of dating rather than ignore this when this could be a problem down the line.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pointless even asking, very few people will say "Yeah, I'm racist" - the reply will normally be "no, I'm not racist, but..."

ReputationRep:
    "So, who do you think would make a good Bond? That Idris Elba is a good choice, don't you think?"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Pointless even asking, very few people will say "Yeah, I'm racist" - the reply will normally be "no, I'm not racist, but..."
    Is it possible to get through to someone? It could be the way he was raised (he's Polish, in his 20s, I'm Scottish with left-wing, open minded parents)

I don't believe he's a bad person. I think it may just be the way he's been raised to think, and if given correct figures and information on immigrants and non-European cultures, this may help him to see the world differently?
    Just looking for help and advice with this, I've never been in a situation like this before. It's difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beherit95)
    Is it possible to get through to someone? It could be the way he was raised (he's Polish, in his 20s, I'm Scottish with left-wing, open minded parents)

I don't believe he's a bad person. I think it may just be the way he's been raised to think, and if given correct figures and information on immigrants and non-European cultures, this may help him to see the world differently?
    Just looking for help and advice with this, I've never been in a situation like this before. It's difficult
    No, racist/anti-immigration people like that are not going to care about your lecture on why they are wrong. He is obviously right wing of the UKIP or further to the far right kind. Forget about him and find someone else. He wouldn't like you if he knew your views anyway. And people like him don't consider themselves racist, they think you can only be racist if you want to keep blacks as your slaves.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.