Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I beg you help me- losing the will to live watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Basically I failed AS and got ACCD. I am soooooooo stressed out. My university course requires ABB.

I got a D in geography and was wondering if i just should not revise for it because I only need three qualifications.

Can I bring my ACCD up to a A B B D/C. my predicted grades are still ACCD do you think I can convince my teachers to bring the 2 Cs up to a B as I was close in both subjects... 7 marks away from a B. Btw I am retaking and I have 11 AS and A2 exams in the summer Will I cope?

Or shall I just not retake geography? But I am scared if I go well in A2 and then it is brought down my my AS grade. I am worried my retakes will effect my A2 performance. It all messed up.. PLEASE HELP I am the most stresses out person ever. I am in a horrible position after my great gcse results I feel like I have let everyone including my self down. I cant enjoy life any more as getting into the university I want and getting ABB is taking over my mind.

ReputationRep:
    You will figure it out just calm down

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many see it as uni or you're a failure?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure you need to retake in the subjects you got c's in, your better of just working hard for your A2 exams especially since you were close in both subjects, taking 11 exams, you'll most likely get worse results.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the the same position as you ... got ACC and my course requires ABB.
    I'm re-taking one module each from my two C grades, and on top of that doing EPQ.
    My only problem is that I'm really struggling with A2, so far been getting plenty of Cs and Ds and all of my teachers are saying that it's okay because it's only the start of the year, no one is willing to help me and this is why I'm so frustrated. All of my teachers are saying that I'm over reacting when in reality I don't understand anything. I know that last year my grades got messed up as teachers constantly kept leaving and being replaced so we missed out on material, but this year I'm just a failure. Personally for me, getting Ds is unacceptable no matter what time of the year it is. I'm not the only person struggling, many people are constantly getting Es and Us and no one is willing to help them either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    I'm re-taking one module each from my two C grades, and on top of that doing EPQ.
    My only problem is that I'm really struggling with A2, so far been getting plenty of Cs and Ds and all of my teachers are saying that it's okay because it's only the start of the year, no one is willing to help me and this is why I'm so frustrated. All of my teachers are saying that I'm over reacting when in reality I don't understand anything. I know that last year my grades got messed up as teachers constantly kept leaving and being replaced so we missed out on material, but this year I'm just a failure. Personally for me, getting Ds is unacceptable no matter what time of the year it is. I'm not the only person struggling, many people are constantly getting Es and Us and no one is willing to help them either.
    (Original post by stressedstudentx)
    Hi,
    Basically I failed AS and got ACCD. I am soooooooo stressed out. My university course requires ABB.

I got a D in geography and was wondering if i just should not revise for it because I only need three qualifications.

Can I bring my ACCD up to a A B B D/C. my predicted grades are still ACCD do you think I can convince my teachers to bring the 2 Cs up to a B as I was close in both subjects... 7 marks away from a B. Btw I am retaking and I have 11 AS and A2 exams in the summer Will I cope?

Or shall I just not retake geography? But I am scared if I go well in A2 and then it is brought down my my AS grade. I am worried my retakes will effect my A2 performance. It all messed up.. PLEASE HELP I am the most stresses out person ever. I am in a horrible position after my great gcse results I feel like I have let everyone including my self down. I cant enjoy life any more as getting into the university I want and getting ABB is taking over my mind.
    What subjects did both of you do?

I got BBD in my subjects.
    I got the D in German, despite me wanting to apply for that (somehow really messed up in my speaking, or the examiner did.)

@stressedstudentx is it necessary to resit all the modules, considering you got an A in one? Also can't you drop one? Many say it won't really be viewed as beneficial, and they'd prefer e.g. AAA instead of AABC or something like that. Take this with a pinch of salt befoore you confer w/ someone else first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    What subjects did both of you do?

I got BBD in my subjects.
    I got the D in German, despite me wanting to apply for that (somehow really messed up in my speaking, or the examiner did.)

@stressedstudentx is it necessary to resit all the modules, considering you got an A in one? Also can't you drop one? Many say it won't really be viewed as beneficial, and they'd prefer e.g. AAA instead of AABC or something like that. Take this with a pinch of salt befoore you confer w/ someone else first.
    I do Psychology, History and Media. Got an A in Psychology and then Cs in History and Media. I've applied for History and Russian as History is my ultimate passion (got an A* at GCSE and since my teacher left history teachers kept coming and leaving which had a really negative effect on my grades).

ReputationRep:
    I do Psychology, History and Media. Got an A in Psychology and then Cs in History and Media. I've applied for History and Russian as History is my ultimate passion (got an A* at GCSE and since my teacher left history teachers kept coming and leaving which had a really negative effect on my grades).
    That's a shame.

Do you reckon you can get an A predicted grade/grade overall if you tackle revision correctly this year? (Considering there is a system, wherein it's like you get an A* grade overall if you get this amount of points, so long as you get this amount of points in AS.) Like my teacher knew someone who could only get a B or an A* but not an A because of that system.

Though do remember, you're naturally going to do far worse at the beginning of the year, less practice, less breadth of knowledge etc.

I still remember getting a U in the January mock in chemistry last year, but got a B grade overall. Also it's very unlikely for me to get a massively high grade in a synoptic essay in biology right now, because we haven't even covered all the topics for the content to write about.

So no, it isn't the end of the world, although it's still annoying to get those C or D grades etc. (I've been getting C and D grades in biology tests so far, but I think I'll be far better later in the year, after doing all the practice questions and finishing revising for each topic.)

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame.

Do you reckon you can get an A predicted grade/grade overall if you tackle revision correctly this year? (Considering there is a system, wherein it's like you get an A* grade overall if you get this amount of points, so long as you get this amount of points in AS.) Like my teacher knew someone who could only get a B or an A* but not an A because of that system.

Though do remember, you're naturally going to do far worse at the beginning of the year, less practice, less breadth of knowledge etc.

I still remember getting a U in the January mock in chemistry last year, but got a B grade overall. Also it's very unlikely for me to get a massively high grade in a synoptic essay in biology right now, because we haven't even covered all the topics for the content to write about.

So no, it isn't the end of the world, although it's still annoying to get those C or D grades etc. (I've been getting C and D grades in biology tests so far, but I think I'll be far better later in the year, after doing all the practice questions and finishing revising for each topic.)
    I think my predicted grades are AAB, I mean so far I managed to get an offer from Manchester who want ABB with an A in history ... So getting the offers isn't the problem (hopefully), it's getting the grades.

In both history and media I got 1C and 1D making it a C overall. In my AS history mock I got an A and a C (making a B overall), and as soon as my teacher left I never managed to recover to once again get that A.

With media, my coursework got marked down from an A/high B to a C which messed everything up. I was also really ill in the exam, I was taking antibiotics and everything was killing me so no wonder I did badly, based on my practice exams for Media I should've gotten a B ...

Since I'm deciding to just retake the modules in which I got Ds, I'll need As/high Bs to get a B overall (I think). I don't think I'll manage at my current rate.

The thing is, everyone in my classes got horrible grades for these subjects. So is it really our fault? I've been asking my teachers for help, I've told them that what everyone would find beneficial is revision classes (we had loads during our GCSEs) but they keep saying that we're in year 13 and it's independent study?!

I'm so stressed out over everything, especially knowing that I won't get any help, which is just distracting me from revision, as I can't concentrate

ReputationRep:
    I think my predicted grades are AAB, I mean so far I managed to get an offer from Manchester who want ABB with an A in history ... So getting the offers isn't the problem (hopefully), it's getting the grades.

In both history and media I got 1C and 1D making it a C overall. In my AS history mock I got an A and a C (making a B overall), and as soon as my teacher left I never managed to recover to once again get that A.

With media, my coursework got marked down from an A/high B to a C which messed everything up. I was also really ill in the exam, I was taking antibiotics and everything was killing me so no wonder I did badly, based on my practice exams for Media I should've gotten a B ...

Since I'm deciding to just retake the modules in which I got Ds, I'll need As/high Bs to get a B overall (I think). I don't think I'll manage at my current rate.

The thing is, everyone in my classes got horrible grades for these subjects. So is it really our fault? I've been asking my teachers for help, I've told them that what everyone would find beneficial is revision classes (we had loads during our GCSEs) but they keep saying that we're in year 13 and it's independent study?!

I'm so stressed out over everything, especially knowing that I won't get any help, which is just distracting me from revision, as I can't concentrate
    Curious, if I submit my application now to be checked, but get better predicted grades later, can I change it, and/or resubmit it again?

Also tell them to **** off in their reasoning when they say it's "independent study". From my time on TSR, I've come to realise that whenever a teacher says that as a substitute to reasonable advice, they're (generally) bad teachers.

(On the premise that it's good advice, but I trust you on that.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Basically I failed AS and got ACCD.

It's really not that bad if you think about it - I got EEUU the first time I did year 12!! ACC(D) is FAR from a fail. But I'd concentrate on your best 3 grades, and possibly see about dropping the last one?

ReputationRep:
    Curious, if I submit my application now to be checked, but get better predicted grades later, can I change it, and/or resubmit it again?

Also tell them to **** off in their reasoning when they say it's "independent study". From my time on TSR, I've come to realise that whenever a teacher says that as a substitute to reasonable advice, they're (generally) bad teachers.

(On the premise that it's good advice, but I trust you on that.)
    As far as I know, nothing on you application can be changed. Also, it is your referee who sends off your predicted grades along with your reference, so you don't get to see what they actually wrote ...

I know, I know. I remember how at GCSEs we had to come in to school over the Easter break for revision like everyday for different subjects, and my old history teacher used to do revision every friday at 7.30 am before school (he would get a full class turning up as well) and I could go and ask him for help whenever I wanted really. Even in year 12 I could come to him in free periods if I didn't understand something. Since he left I can't do that anymore

ReputationRep:

Do you get the offer straight away after you reply? So if I send my application today when do I get the offer? Plus by when should I truly send my application
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    mate if you want to turn the C to a B work your socks off this year and get a high B it should balance out to a B overall (if you got a high C you can get a B overall if you get a Mid range B at A2)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Why are you taking 4 subjects for A2? Drop one of them.

ReputationRep:
    That's BS. Getting a D at the beginning of the year VS the end is a huge difference in terms of how well you are likely to do in your real exam. What you need to ask yourself is why you are getting D grades, is it exam technique, not having memorised enough content, trouble with applying theory (maths, for example)? You have plenty of time to start sorting this out.

ReputationRep:
    Do you get the offer straight away after you reply? So if I send my application today when do I get the offer? Plus by when should I truly send my application
    Thanks

When you get the offers depends purely on the uni. I've sent mine off on the 13th of October and so far I only have one offer which came on the 20th of October. Some people at my sixth form sent their applications later than me and already have 3 offers.
    The deadline is the 15th January, so as long as you send your application by then, it will be equally considered as an application that has been sent off in (for example) September. Universities give out more offers than they have spaces as that particular uni might not end up being someone's firm choice. The official deadline for universities to give you offers is the 5th of May, from what I've heard some universities wait for all of their applications to arrive and then make decisions. Some universities have an estimated waiting time on their website, it's usually around a month. Universities that ask for points instead of grades usually give out offers much quicker (this is what has been happening at my sixth form).

(Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    That's BS. Getting a D at the beginning of the year VS the end is a huge difference in terms of how well you are likely to do in your real exam. What you need to ask yourself is why you are getting D grades, is it exam technique, not having memorised enough content, trouble with applying theory (maths, for example)? You have plenty of time to start sorting this out.
    I know. This has not been the case at AS .. I ended up getting straight As and Bs throughout the year, until all of my teachers kept getting replaced and then I ended up with ACC. I do feel as if some teachers were marking my work incorrectly though, especially since my media coursework got marked down from an A/high B to an average C ...

I feel as if the answer structure is my problem, hence why I'm really annoyed at my teachers refusing to help me, because it's something that I can't learn from books.That's their reasoning for me getting bad grades, they say I simply need to learn the correct answer structure, yet they're not willing to teach me, or anyone. The majority of people are getting bad grades, many people getting Us already. From my point of view it's unacceptable.

The only thing that's giving me hope is that the answer structure was also my problem at GCSEs, I got Cs and Ds in my mocks and then ended up with plenty of As. I managed to turn my C in history to an A* and my D in English to an A. However A levels are nothing like GCSEs, I know that if I'm struggling now I will struggle in the real exam. At AS I was really struggling with one of my history exams (it was a source paper). I constantly told my teacher that the only reason I'm getting good grades is because we would go through the sources before the exam, and that I will not be able to do that in the real exam. I was told that I'm simply over reacting. I ended up getting a C even though I was getting plenty of As in class, and then I got told that getting a C at AS is good. How is it good when it won't get me into uni? I also find it very annoying that it isn't just me who's struggling, everyone is struggling. I mean, last year everyone who took sciences failed, so I felt as if me dropping Biology right at the beginning of the year after every single person in class got a U in their first practice exam was the best decision I've ever made. It's clearly not our fault.

ReputationRep:
    People am I fine if I still have not finished my personal statement and sent in my application?

ReputationRep:
    When you get the offers depends purely on the uni. I've sent mine off on the 13th of October and so far I only have one offer which came on the 20th of October. Some people at my sixth form sent their applications later than me and already have 3 offers.
    The deadline is the 15th January, so as long as you send your application by then, it will be equally considered as an application that has been sent off in (for example) September. Universities give out more offers than they have spaces as that particular uni might not end up being someone's firm choice. The official deadline for universities to give you offers is the 5th of May, from what I've heard some universities wait for all of their applications to arrive and then make decisions. Some universities have an estimated waiting time on their website, it's usually around a month. Universities that ask for points instead of grades usually give out offers much quicker (this is what has been happening at my sixth form).

I know. This has not been the case at AS .. I ended up getting straight As and Bs throughout the year, until all of my teachers kept getting replaced and then I ended up with ACC. I do feel as if some teachers were marking my work incorrectly though, especially since my media coursework got marked down from an A/high B to an average C ...

I feel as if the answer structure is my problem, hence why I'm really annoyed at my teachers refusing to help me, because it's something that I can't learn from books.That's their reasoning for me getting bad grades, they say I simply need to learn the correct answer structure, yet they're not willing to teach me, or anyone. The majority of people are getting bad grades, many people getting Us already. From my point of view it's unacceptable.

The only thing that's giving me hope is that the answer structure was also my problem at GCSEs, I got Cs and Ds in my mocks and then ended up with plenty of As. I managed to turn my C in history to an A* and my D in English to an A. However A levels are nothing like GCSEs, I know that if I'm struggling now I will struggle in the real exam. At AS I was really struggling with one of my history exams (it was a source paper). I constantly told my teacher that the only reason I'm getting good grades is because we would go through the sources before the exam, and that I will not be able to do that in the real exam. I was told that I'm simply over reacting. I ended up getting a C even though I was getting plenty of As in class, and then I got told that getting a C at AS is good. How is it good when it won't get me into uni? I also find it very annoying that it isn't just me who's struggling, everyone is struggling. I mean, last year everyone who took sciences failed, so I felt as if me dropping Biology right at the beginning of the year after every single person in class got a U in their first practice exam was the best decision I've ever made. It's clearly not our fault.
    Oh that's fair enough then. I don't know if it would be too expensive, but have you though of getting a tutor maybe? Sounds like your school really doesn't care too much about the success of its students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    Oh that's fair enough then. I don't know if it would be too expensive, but have you though of getting a tutor maybe? Sounds like your school really doesn't care too much about the success of its students.
    I have thought about that, but it would be hard to find someone who specializes in my modules. For example, in history we're not even learning about history. It's more of a case of linking historian views about the Holocaust to different theories and approaches. It's something I can't find on the internet, nor in books.

No they don't. I remember once finding a post here on TSR which linked a website showing league tables for sixth forms. When I found mine it said only 1% of students manage to get AAB at the end of year 13. I'm not surprised.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.