Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

CDs or Spotify Premium? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently using the free version of Spotify and loving it (apart from the ads ofc), but I want to be able to listen to music without Wifi on my phone on the way to school etc.
    But I don't know if the price of Spotify Premium is worth it, it's quite a lot per month! However I'm using free Spotify basically every day right now.

Or I could buy CDs to put onto my phone/buy music from the store, but my music tastes change quite a lot so I would be constantly buying new songs.

Which do you prefer to do? Spotify Premium or buying songs/albums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nph)
    I'm currently using the free version of Spotify and loving it (apart from the ads ofc), but I want to be able to listen to music without Wifi on my phone on the way to school etc.
    But I don't know if the price of Spotify Premium is worth it, it's quite a lot per month! However I'm using free Spotify basically every day right now.

Or I could buy CDs to put onto my phone/buy music from the store, but my music tastes change quite a lot so I would be constantly buying new songs.

spotify premium by far
    use unidays or an nus card
    i pay 4.99 a month as i have an nus card
    its such a bargain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UNidays discount, works for college too... Can't grumble at £4.99 a month for such an awesome service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nph)

I prefer to buy albums. You can't accidentally delete an entire CD collection.

They can also be played on a hifi at home.

With CDs, you actually own something rather than rent it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spotify Premium because of the student discount! Had it for a good year now and cannot complain

ReputationRep:
    I would go Spotify. Would cost a ton buying all the CD's you want to listen to.
    CD's also degrade, so having tangible CD's though last a very long time don't last forever.
    Probably worth the price for unlimited music if you use it often. You can also let family use it if you wish, though they have to be offline.

ReputationRep:
    Spotify Premium is literally an important part of my life now, and I couldn't do without it. Get that.

ReputationRep:
    What's a CD?

ReputationRep:
    Either wait until xmas for it to be 99p for 3 months or just keep getting the premium trial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    I prefer to buy albums. You can't accidentally delete an entire CD collection.
    You can't accidentally delete Spotify Premium either

Well, you could accidentally delete the program, I guess. But then you just reinstall it.

ReputationRep:
    Just stop thinking about it and become part of the spotify premium master race, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Torrent music, listen, buy what you like in hard format, rip to PC, store CD in rack.

ReputationRep:
    I buy classic CDs but I just download new music and rip to CD for the car.

Never streamed music.

https://vine.co/v/eKBnmOVwjt2
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I had to stop buying CDs because I ran out of room.

At least with Spotify premium, if you find something and don't like it, you've not wasted money. And I've discovered so much via Spotify.

ReputationRep:
    I had to make a decision like you too. I just ended up putting all 250 of my Spotify songs onto my phone by youtube/youtube converter. Took FOREVER!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I had to stop buying CDs because I ran out of room.

At least with Spotify premium, if you find something and don't like it, you've not wasted money. And I've discovered so much via Spotify.
    This. It's the same with downloading stuff too. Until a few months ago I used to download everything, but it gets to a point where you're doing it 5 times a day: finding a link, downloading, adding it to iTunes, and then 2-3 of those 5 you may never listen to. And on top of the extra effort, hard drives end up filling up very quickly that way.

Checking out new artists is so much easier too. You can click a link to a similar artist, or through your recommendations, and listen to their top 5 tracks within seconds, instead of the effort of buying a CD or finding a download and going through that whole process, without even knowing if you're gonna like the artist! So much better.

On average I probably listen to a couple of new albums per day, so streaming is just so much easier. Then there's all those impulse urges you get to listen to some random old tune by Eagle Eye Cherry, or Baby Bash, or whoever. Spotify has that covered too. I don't even use premium cos the ads are so short and infrequent anyway.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    This. It's the same with downloading stuff too. Until a few months ago I used to download everything, but it gets to a point where you're doing it 5 times a day: finding a link, downloading, adding it to iTunes, and then 2-3 of those 5 you may never listen to. And on top of the extra effort, hard drives end up filling up very quickly that way.
    I do remember having to buy a new hard drive too, because I'd run out of room on that too.

Checking out new artists is so much easier too. You can click a link to a similar artist, or through your recommendations, and listen to their top 5 tracks within seconds, instead of the effort of buying a CD or finding a download and going through that whole process, without even knowing if you're gonna like the artist! So much better.
    I love doing this too! It's much easier doing this via Spotify than CDs or Downloading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I do remember having to buy a new hard drive too, because I'd run out of room on that too.

I love doing this too! It's much easier doing this via Spotify than CDs or Downloading.
    Yeah I have a full 512gb external hd that I barely even plug in anymore, except when there's something I want to listen to that Spotify doesn't have.

Even lastfm, a significant branch of which is aimed at encouraging the discovery of new music, is much more work than Spotify.

I like how Spotify's browse feature recommends artists based on both overall taste AND specific artists, and can be narrowed down just to new albums by artists similar to those you've listened to (this is my favourite feature), etc.

Yeah I'm a proper Spotify convert now

ReputationRep:
    I feel so distraught at all the students who get it for £4.99, I went onto £9.99 straight off because I wasn't a student at the time and I'm still not at uni yet so lucky *******s.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.