Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting into paramedic practice with convictions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    similar to the other post relating convictions. I have 3 convictions from when i was a teenager, which consist of ABH and 2 counts of handling stolen goods. I am almost 25 years old now and these things happened when i was a silly 15 year old. I am a member of the st jonhs ambulance, around my day job which i progressed well in but in order to do the training needed to become a paramedic i will need to quit my job. Can anyone give me advice on whether im taking too much of a risk to even start? i would hate for this to be the case, as i am a completely different person to the one i was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanone)
    similar to the other post relating convictions. I have 3 convictions from when i was a teenager, which consist of ABH and 2 counts of handling stolen goods. I am almost 25 years old now and these things happened when i was a silly 15 year old. I am a member of the st jonhs ambulance, around my day job which i progressed well in but in order to do the training needed to become a paramedic i will need to quit my job. Can anyone give me advice on whether im taking too much of a risk to even start? i would hate for this to be the case, as i am a completely different person to the one i was
    Hey
    I used to work in recruitment for a leading ambulance service. In my Trust what would happen is you would complete a DBS disclosure form and it would be reviewed by a risk assessment panel. In my experience, as your convictions are fairly minor and were a long time ago, this would most likely be overlooked as long as you don't have anything else more recent. The Trusts need to strike a balance - they don't want people with recent and/or serious convictions, or ones that would relate to the job such as drink driving, but there is also a huge shortage of paramedics. So if you have a clean record since then and you can demonstrate that you have moved past this teenage behaviour there is a very good chance that it won't affect your application to a Trust.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=infairverona;60199405]Hey
    I used to work in recruitment for a leading ambulance service. In my Trust what would happen is you would complete a DBS disclosure form and it would be reviewed by a risk assessment panel. In my experience, as your convictions are fairly minor and were a long time ago, this would most likely be overlooked as long as you don't have anything else more recent. The Trusts need to strike a balance - they don't want people with recent and/or serious convictions, or ones that would relate to the job such as drink driving, but there is also a huge shortage of paramedics. So if you have a clean record since then and you can demonstrate that you have moved past this teenage behaviour there is a very good chance that it won't affect your application to a Trust.[/Q

Thanks, that has put me a little more as ease. Like i say, iv not had a thing since then, but with having a good job already iv been very nervous about quitting to starting the relevant courses which I will be paying for myself, only to be told at the end that I wouldnt be employable with said convictions. Hopefully they will look at it as you have done! thank you for the info

Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.