Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Been at uni only 5 weeks and workload already affecting my health. watch

I'm studying English Lit at a top 5 uni. I have a long term illness and studying at uni has been my dream for years. However, now I'm here I'm finding the workload overwhelming.

Obviously I expected a lot of reading with studying English Lit, but the amount they expect us to read on top of essays/seminar prep etc. is impossible. I'm already having to cut corners wherever I can and am still behind! I feel like I barely have any free time and am often up on Mondays and Tuesday's till 3 am and then up again at 8. I'm constantly exhausted and am already struggling with how relentless it feels.

My flatmates tell me I'm overworking myself, but I don't see how I can do any less without falling seriously behind. Most people on my course are behind with the reading list - some don't worry about it, but I'm a natural worrier. Is there anything I can do to make the workload a bit more manageable for myself? I take lots of notes from the books I read, so I think that slows me down and I also spend around 20 hours on each essay.

Is there anywhere else I could cut corners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm studying English Lit at a top 5 uni. I have a long term illness and studying at uni has been my dream for years. However, now I'm here I'm finding the workload overwhelming.

Obviously I expected a lot of reading with studying English Lit, but the amount they expect us to read on top of essays/seminar prep etc. is impossible. I'm already having to cut corners wherever I can and am still behind! I feel like I barely have any free time and am often up on Mondays and Tuesday's till 3 am and then up again at 8. I'm constantly exhausted and am already struggling with how relentless it feels.

My flatmates tell me I'm overworking myself, but I don't see how I can do any less without falling seriously behind. Most people on my course are behind with the reading list - some don't worry about it, but I'm a natural worrier. Is there anything I can do to make the workload a bit more manageable for myself? I take lots of notes from the books I read, so I think that slows me down and I also spend around 20 hours on each essay.

Is there anywhere else I could cut corners?
    I'm not Eng Lit expert but maybe you're just generally overworking yourself. I see this a lot even among my Dentistry year, people spending their whole lives studying non stop when you need not do that much. I think you're overthinking how hard it is to do well. I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    You really dont need to read the whole reading list

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get some advise from student support services before you burn out. There is a way through this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.