Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you help me? Opening up to people, university and counselling watch

Hiya

I feel scared. Last week i had a first appointment with the uni counselling which was just a few questions etc but tomorrow I have my first proper session

I decided to go because i am very self conscious around people, and have lots of social anxieties... Never seen the dictor about it

I didnt say soecifically about socioa anxiety or delve too much into it.... I think i should open up but im unsure what to say and do

Any advice? I really dont wanna go (and thats the reason i need to go...)

Please,
    Im really scared what to say to her or what to talk about

hi

ive been to a few sessions but still can feel uncomfortable and difficult to open up

and sometimes i feel embarassed about saying things

can anyone help me with some advice please

ReputationRep:
    I would need to know a bit more, as in, what particular things do you struggle with?

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard with my counsellor, I feel really awkward sitting across from someone watching me speak..... so I told her..... and we don't do that anymore. Sometimes she brings a ball and we play catch while we talk, sometimes we sit on the floor and draw or colour while we talk. It helps. Maybe you could also try and write things down for her.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    I would need to know a bit more, as in, what particular things do you struggle with?

Mainly anxieties related to social situations
    Avoiding situations
    Feeling uncomfortable around people
    Resentful towards my parents

One of the biggest things is my sexuality.... But ive only ever told one person
    I would feel really really really uncomortable telling her this

(Original post by Jenx301)
    I find it hard with my counsellor, I feel really awkward sitting across from someone watching me speak..... so I told her..... and we don't do that anymore. Sometimes she brings a ball and we play catch while we talk, sometimes we sit on the floor and draw or colour while we talk. It helps. Maybe you could also try and write things down for her.
    Yeh that seems like a good idea
    I mean... She must know i feel uncomfortable, i think its quite visible in my behaviour

Although i have opened up a lot more than i thought i would

I feel a bit worried because my university only offers a limited amount of sessions for students... So i think i only have a couple left but im not sure....

I know its kind of sad but i want it to continue because i have noone else to talk to

ReputationRep:
    Hey

If you need more counselling after then you can see your gp and ask to be referred. Some places work through self referrel. You could Google free counselling services in your area as well as some charities provide that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Jenx301)
    Hey

If you need more counselling after then you can see your gp and ask to be referred. Some places work through self referrel. You could Google free counselling services in your area as well as some charities provide that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would do that... but im scared if i go through a doctor i will be diagnosed as having soicla anxiety

i know myself that having counselling alongside my everyday life would be fine for me...

so would i need to be diagnosed to be able to get counseling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would do that... but im scared if i go through a doctor i will be diagnosed as having soicla anxiety

i know myself that having counselling alongside my everyday life would be fine for me...

so would i need to be diagnosed to be able to get counseling?
    I don't think you need a diagnosis to get counselling but it does sound like you are having some difficulties. What's wrong with having a diagnosis? I know it sounds scary but it's not so bad. It's just a word that doctors use to work out what treatment will help you best.... that's how I think of it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry, only just seen this thread. A few things:

- You could write out what you want to say to your counsellor and read it out, looking at the piece of paper? I've done that to doctors in the past and no one's ever minded.

- A diagnosis is just a label, it does not need to be a death sentence or define you. I am personally of the belief that you can only really begin to tackle whatever is going on, once you actually KNOW what is going on, if that makes sense?

- A good counsellor won't judge you for anything that you say, so you should feel free and able to talk to them about whatever you need to

- Ask how many sessions you have left, so that you can make the best possible use of them.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.