Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help settle an argument watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is Amanda wrong to post on facebook in this situation?
    Yes she should not post on facebook
    7.69%
    No it is fine if she posts on facebook
    92.31%

ReputationRep:
    Hi hope this is the right place. I got into what turned out to be a far more heated debate than i anticipated about something tonight and want everybodies opinion.

Situation:

Amanda is off work after having surgery two weeks ago on her bladder. She is resting at home and posting on facebook and talking to friends on there.

Is it wrong that Amanda is posting on facebook when she is of work sick in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Hi hope this is the right place. I got into what turned out to be a far more heated debate than i anticipated about something tonight and want everybodies opinion.

Situation:

Amanda is off work after having surgery two weeks ago on her bladder. She is resting at home and posting on facebook and talking to friends on there.

Is it wrong that Amanda is posting on facebook when she is of work sick in this situation?
    Not really, if that's how she relaxes then it's okay, imo. She's resting from a surgery and posting on facebook doesn't require her to do much work. Now, if she was out in a holiday, well, that's a different story.

Although, I am quite curious, what do you think about it?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

ReputationRep:
    She's taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'd be like "**** yes, controversy/argument", but in this case, no...

ReputationRep:

Situation:

I don't see the issue? Is her posting preventing her from doing housework or something?

Oh wait no, the surgery would be prohibiting movement, I can imagine

Now if that's not even the issue then...what is it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's fine.

You can't expect a person to give up all of their interests if they're sick or something. It's still ok for them to do the things that won't come in the way of their recovery.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why this is a problem. Do you just want her to sit in a chair facing the wall and do nothing?

ReputationRep:
    The main reasoning behind the against argument is that if you are off sick from work, you should not be seen to be doing anything. Myself or person B who took this stance are ok with a Amanda playing video games / watching tv etc. Just not engaging or doing anything in the public eye...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howbeit)
    Do you just want her to sit in a chair facing the wall and do nothing?
    Knowing OP...

ReputationRep:
    The main reasoning behind the against argument is that if you are off sick from work, you should not be seen to be doing anything. Myself or person B who took this stance are ok with a Amanda playing video games / watching tv etc. Just not engaging or doing anything in the public eye...
    Okay, that's fine having that opinion, but give me a logical answer why that is. I want to know what your reasoning is.

ReputationRep:
    Amanda can do whatever she wants during her sick leave, as long as she's recovering. To say she can play video games but not post on Facebook is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't she do what she wants, so long as it isn't being dishonest (i.e. doing rock climbing when supposedly recovering).
    If she wants to walk around and go to the cinema with crutches... that is perfectly fine. To suggest otherwise would just be silly - at least i can't think of a reasonable counter in which it isn't completely arbitrary and/or draconian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Amanda can do whatever she wants during her sick leave, as long as she's recovering. To say she can play video games but not post on Facebook is ridiculous.
    Allowed to play video games. But make sure to turn off the online features... or the kitty gets it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howbeit)
    Okay, that's fine having that opinion, but give me a logical answer why that is. I want to know what your reasoning is.
    No further reasoning beyond this. Its not my opinion btw it was the person i was debating it with. I was on the side saying of course she can post on facebook ldo !

ReputationRep:
    No further reasoning beyond this. Its not my opinion btw it was the person i was debating it with. I was on the side saying of course she can post on facebook ldo !
    Oh okay... it doesn't make any sense to me why they would think that.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.