The Student Room Group

How badly would BBD affect AAB requirements, providing that...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Modern languages are not popular courses, so there is that on your side. On the other hand, St Andrews is hugely popular and you are 4 grades below what they are asking for, and in particular, your weakest subject is the very one you are applying to study. You have to ask yourself why they would choose you above anyone with the right grades or nearer than you are. If you were an admissions tutor, who would you go for? If it is your only high risk, then fine, go ahead. Make sure the rest are within your reach.

Original post by watchingyouwatch
As you have five choices and you know the risks involved you can make this as a risky choice- but I think putting down two course at St Andrews would be very risky as the chances are you would be rejected by both

Your real problem is the fact that you got a D in the subject you want to study and I suspect they would want that to be one of the A'S. However good your personal statement is- unless there is strong evidence that you had specific reasons for this problem and your referee can explain them- this is likely to get you put in the rect pile.

Even with extensuating circumstances - it usually only gives you one grade higher- : i.e. a C

So by all means go for it but be realistic about what your chances are

good luck

Thanks to both for your posts.

My grades in German were really high throughout the year (A/A* grades), I just somehow (well I see how) messed up in both exams, mainly speaking (though I'm not sure that's actually my fault for speaking.)

But yeah, thanks again. :smile:
Original post by XcitingStuart
Thanks to both for your posts.

My grades in German were really high throughout the year (A/A* grades), I just somehow (well I see how) messed up in both exams, mainly speaking (though I'm not sure that's actually my fault for speaking.)

But yeah, thanks again. :smile:

Unless your referee can explain that away in the reference, I'm afraid it won't help. You will have exams at university too. Your alternative is to apply after you have your results.
Original post by Evil Genius
Well for science courses some Uni's are bit more lenient. My Friend didn't get into Birmingham because of his results but somehow Liverpool accepted him which he was happy about because Liverpool is still a very prestigious Uni.

What subjects are you doing at A Level? If you are doing Maths and Science subjects then yeah go for it.

I've studied Maths, Physics & History at A level. I achieved BCC in them respectively and planning on resitting Maths(b->a), Physics(C->B) so I would
average ABC. (bbb equivalent) However, Liverpool is ABB. Is it worth adding university of Liverpool to my UCAS 5 choices or is it just a waste of a choice knowing I might get rejected.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'm applying for German and Arabic (and possibly Russian), and want to get into St Andrews University.
Their language courses all require an AAB.

Biology
BIOL1: A
BIOL2: B
BIOL3X: D (Resitting as well.)
Cash-in: B

Chemistry
CH1: B
CH2: A
CH3: A
Cash-in: B

German
GN1: U (Resitting as well.)
GN2: B
Cash-in: D

I somehow really messed up in the speaking exam (or the examiner did, and no, I don't speak this out of arrogance, but actually have valid reasons for believing that is a possibility.)

I am predicted an A, an A and a B respectively, and an A* for the Welsh Baccalaureate (referral was a distinction.)

I think my personal statement is very good (though I won't post any parts of it. ;p)(I don't want to sound arrogant, but I think I have a way with words, and it looks far better than others I've seen.) I'm immensely proud of it.

I've heard plenty of times that personal statement is also just as important, and can entirely change whether it's accepted or not, but how much of an emphasis is there on AS grades? I know I could've done better (but I doubt that counts for much.)

Are my chances of getting in severely hindered? I know this post might sound snobby, but I'm worrying I'm not going to meet the requirements.

Unless they were very serious mitigating circumstances you struggle to get onto a German degree programme at a top university like St Andrew's with a D in AS German.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I've studied Maths, Physics & History at A level. I achieved BCC in them respectively and planning on resitting Maths(b->a), Physics(C->B) so I would
average ABC. (bbb equivalent) However, Liverpool is ABB. Is it worth adding university of Liverpool to my UCAS 5 choices or is it just a waste of a choice knowing I might get rejected.

No it isn't a waste, they will probably make you a offer anyway so go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending