The Student Room Group

How to use my old iPhone

I've got my old iPhone 5C in my drawer after I upgraded a couple of months ago, so I'm thinking of using it as an iPod. I don't know what happens regarding the sim card, if the woman in the shop switched and threw my old one out or whatever but when I've switched the old phone on it says 'insert sim card'.

Basically, do I have to get it unlocked? Can I just get a new sim card?

And it's been a good 10 years since I was on PAYG, everything I've seen says £10 for 30 days, or £5 a month etc. Don't PAYG sim cards exist anymore where if you put credit on it stays until you use it?

Thanks
Original post by Catherine13
I've got my old iPhone 5C in my drawer after I upgraded a couple of months ago, so I'm thinking of using it as an iPod. I don't know what happens regarding the sim card, if the woman in the shop switched and threw my old one out or whatever but when I've switched the old phone on it says 'insert sim card'.

You don't need to use a sim card if all you want to do is use it as a media player, if it's been factory reset and is asking for a sim card for setting up (and there's no option to skip it) you can just pop in your current sim card to get through the setup process then remove it again. Of course if you want to use it for texts/data regularly then getting its own sim card is obviously the way to go.

Basically, do I have to get it unlocked? Can I just get a new sim card?

If you bought it on contract, then odds are it will be locked to the original network and you would either have to use a sim card made by that network or get it unlocked.

And it's been a good 10 years since I was on PAYG, everything I've seen says £10 for 30 days, or £5 a month etc. Don't PAYG sim cards exist anymore where if you put credit on it stays until you use it?

They do, they're just not nearly as popular as they used to be since a sim-only contract will get you a lot more value for your money. Most places will still offer PAYG sims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending