Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    μk=0.200
    A 2.0 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 30 ∘ angle. The block's initial speed is 8.0 m/s . The coefficient of kinetic friction of wood on wood is μk=0.200. What vertical height does the block reach above its starting point?

I'm a bit confused about how to approach this problem. I know that you split the problem into x and y directions, and that Fgy and the normal force cancel out, so you focus on Fgx and the kinetic frictional force.

How do you proceed from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatchworkTeapot)
    μk=0.200
    A 2.0 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 30 ∘ angle. The block's initial speed is 8.0 m/s . The coefficient of kinetic friction of wood on wood is μk=0.200. What vertical height does the block reach above its starting point?

I'm a bit confused about how to approach this problem. I know that you split the problem into x and y directions, and that Fgy and the normal force cancel out, so you focus on Fgx and the kinetic frictional force.

Have you started by drawing a free body diagram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    Have you started by drawing a free body diagram?
    Yeah, that is how I found the Ff and Fgx will be acting in the same direction (in the x direction) and the forces in the y direction cancel.

FN= mgcos(30)
    Ff=0.2FN=0.2mgcos(30)

Fgx=mgsin(30)
    If this is correct, how can I continue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatchworkTeapot)
    μk=0.200

Think about the problem and what you're trying to find out: yo're going to push the block up a slope, and find the point at which it stops.

So you can try finding the height at which it's velocity is instantaneously zero (forces approach)

or

You can find the height at which another quantity is zero (easier, this is probably enough of a hint).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.