Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

should I buy my friend's iphone 4? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    he's selling me it for £40, the back is cracked and the wifi don't work. but i have no phone, i assume this'll be fine for those long train travels to listen to music with. (especially when I get a bus n two trains to college 3 times a week lmao)

also, how much would you reckon it'd cost to fix the wifi? (it's faded, doesn't let you touch the button)

just generally curious on what your thoughts are from your standpoints. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    Can it hold a lot of music?

ReputationRep:
    go for it #yolo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    Can it hold a lot of music?
    Probably, idk how you'd tell lol. Wait, iPhones are actually known to not hold a lot of music???????????? or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camacho)
    Probably, idk how you'd tell lol. Wait, iPhones are actually known to not hold a lot of music???????????? or?
    If you want something to listen to music your better of with an Ipod, as long as you have access to the internet then you'll be able to access your itunes account though. An iphone won't likely hold a large amount of songs with it's memory.

I don't actually know a lot about this stuff but I figured I be the only person to reply to this thread due to the time of night and I'm just saying the little bit that I do know.

ReputationRep:
    he's selling me it for £40, the back is cracked and the wifi don't work. but i have no phone, i assume this'll be fine for those long train travels to listen to music with. (especially when I get a bus n two trains to college 3 times a week lmao)

also, how much would you reckon it'd cost to fix the wifi? (it's faded, doesn't let you touch the button)

just generally curious on what your thoughts are from your standpoints. thank you!
    unless you have a sim card in the phone, the iphone won't work. Something I learned. It's easier to buy a ipod for £80 and be done with it.

With you spending money to fix the phone etc. you're better off buying a phone in better condition.

ReputationRep:
    £40 is way to much for such OLD technology, especially in that condition. Go to one of the web sites which buys that stuff or look on ebay. I would offer them a tenner

ReputationRep:

The battery might be terrible since it's an iPhone. The older they are the worse the battery gets. I'd just get a normal cheap phone with wifi or an iPod.

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't recommend buying it. The iPhone 4 came out in 2010, so it's extremely slow, and modern apps may not support it (if they require higher than iOS 8 or 9 - the highest the iPhone 4 can run is iOS 7). If it's been used for the full 5 years since the phone launched in mid-2010, the battery life will be terrible, and you may not be able to get the WiFi to work at all. It's not worth anything close to £40.

If you want something purely for music, get a dedicated MP3 player; it'll work better and be more stable than an ancient iPhone for that one task. If you want a smartphone, look on eBay and be open minded - there will be plenty of cheap but very functional Android phones, or, if you really want an iPhone, you'll be able to find a 4S for probably around £100. It's obviously a lot more expensive, but it would be far more functional, and last a lot longer, than what your friend is offering.

Edit - I'd forgotten about the iPod Touch! I recommend that if you don't desperately need cellular connectivity and you have the budget for it. Apple recently updated it with the A8 processor (same one as the iPhone 6 - so roughly as powerful), and it's £159 for the base model, brand new. It is expensive, but it will last you years.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all! I'm contemplating an iPod touch but that probably won't be in the picture unless I was asked what I wanted for Christmas and said that, lol. I uh, should probably rephrase: iPhone 4S, not iPhone 4. He's selling me an iPhone 4S for £40, the wifi doesn't work and the back is cracked.

I'm not really familiar with good Android phones.. at this point I just want something sleek and simple with capabilities of listening to music, and making calls. The iPhone 4s he's selling came right into this category. I'll probably get another phone by Christmas time.. although, anyone here know of any cheap Android phones that're worth the hassle?

Or any other sort of advice as a follow up to what I said just now? xD
    Thank you! C:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.