Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently, my target is 10 A* and 1 A(A because I messed up my Malay Language oral and only got an A.) I take: Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science, Economics, ICT, English&Lit, Malay and Chinese.
    I already have A* for Mandarin, so that's out of the way. For maths, I'm pretty confident since I was able to go for Olympiad Maths to represent my country when I was in primary school, but just currently doing maths challenges like the ICAS and Kangaroo(which I both got gold). So my Maths revision is just practicing before the exam. I think ICT should be moderately simple just knowing common sense and remembering HTML.

Problem is, my English is hovering around the B-A* level depending on the questions, and my Lit is around B-A. I really find English&Lit impossible to study, no matter how much I read, and feel the only way to study for those are to memorize stock answers from websites. Can someone help me on this?

Secondly, my Triple Sciences.
    Chemistry and Physics, I'm fine. I just do slight revision and I can understand them(even with a teacher I feel I can't learn from in Chemistry). But biology? I'm basically screwed. I do not even understand most things, and the memorising involved is literally, over 9000.
    Economics is just plain understanding and memorising key terms for me, so that's fine.

So can anyone help me with my targets? Because honestly, I'd like to enter Cambridge, or another top 10 Uni, because I feel that I have a non-zero chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanDaMan)
    Currently, my target is 10 A* and 1 A(A because I messed up my Malay Language oral and only got an A.) I take: Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science, Economics, ICT, English&Lit, Malay and Chinese.
    I already have A* for Mandarin, so that's out of the way. For maths, I'm pretty confident since I was able to go for Olympiad Maths to represent my country when I was in primary school, but just currently doing maths challenges like the ICAS and Kangaroo(which I both got gold). So my Maths revision is just practicing before the exam. I think ICT should be moderately simple just knowing common sense and remembering HTML.

Problem is, my English is hovering around the B-A* level depending on the questions, and my Lit is around B-A. I really find English&Lit impossible to study, no matter how much I read, and feel the only way to study for those are to memorize stock answers from websites. Can someone help me on this?

Secondly, my Triple Sciences.
    Chemistry and Physics, I'm fine. I just do slight revision and I can understand them(even with a teacher I feel I can't learn from in Chemistry). But biology? I'm basically screwed. I do not even understand most things, and the memorising involved is literally, over 9000.
    Economics is just plain understanding and memorising key terms for me, so that's fine.

So can anyone help me with my targets? Because honestly, I'd like to enter Cambridge, or another top 10 Uni, because I feel that I have a non-zero chance of getting in.
    Your targets are very high which might be a little daunting although they are only high because people believe you are able to achieve them. If you understand physics, chemistry etc. then all you need to do is keep working at the same level. As for biology and English, just dedicate a little more of your revision time towards these subjects. Your teacher should be willing to help with anything you don't understand. You should practice past papers for English and biology and the ask you teachers to grade them for you (I have done this for English before). The more practice you do, the more aware you are of the areas you really need to focus on. For English literature, if you have a point which you may not think is exactly what the board is looking for then stop thinking this! As long as you back up a point you have with quotes and show you have the ability to be perceptive, you should get marks! If you feel that none of this works or is possible, perhaps consider getting a tutor?
    As with your ambition for Cambridge, I would disagree that you have zero chance. Of course it is difficult, although when at A level, you will probably take the subjects you enjoy and are better at so maths etc. Even if you don't actually reach the targets (which is unlikely) the worst scenario for you will not be bad! Generally, Russell Group universities look more at A levels and might want to see English and Maths GCSE. But they will most likely ask for B or maybe A. If your targets are this high, then your school believe you have a high intelligence, so you have a good chance of getting in to top universities as long as you don't get distracted or give up!

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanDaMan)
    thanks so much for the advice.
    No problem I hope everything goes well

ReputationRep:
    Just study hard and revise, you look like you are doing good with your targets, carry on and you'll get there

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.