Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are you studing Further/Additional Maths?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered which people are actually studying Further Maths/Further Additional Maths with the intention of studying it at Uni.
    I'm studying Double Maths, for my passion - but I don't want to study it further (not on its own anyway!), after A-Level that's it!!! I'm off to study something else!

ReputationRep:
    I hope to do a Mathematics and Philosophy course at either Oxford, Warwick or Bristol. U kinda need further maths to get in those universities...

Though that's not technically true. I do it because I can (just), and because it's a very very good subject to have.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not doing F.Maths, but wish I was! I think most people do it because either they need it for their chosen degree or otherwise they're just passionate about the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Because single maths is too easy, and it will be helpful at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetymango)
    I just wondered which people are actually studying Further Maths/Further Additional Maths with the intention of studying it at Uni.
    I'm studying Double Maths, for my passion - but I don't want to study it further (not on its own anyway!), after A-Level that's it!!! I'm off to study something else!
    I'm studying further maths additional, infact I'm only studying further maths additional and economics...and considering I don't like economics too much I doubt and uni would accept me for any course but maths!! lol but thats not the reason I want to study maths at uni, I want to study maths at uni coz I enjoy it!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying it because it's going to be really useful for Computer Science at university. Plus I enjoy the subject and Single Maths is too easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Single Maths is too easy.
    I have a mate who wouldn't agree with that. But then he said he was certain he'd failed MEthods before proceeding to get a high A on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetymango)
    Studying it because I like maths, purely. Not doing maths at uni though.

(Original post by mik1a)
    Because single maths is too easy
    I'd suggest that when you spend less time doing maths (as us single maths people do), it is considerably harder to do well in maths than if you are taught twice as much and spend twice the time doing one subject. I know you do twice the modules but you should be advanced enough in your maths ability to handle that if you do spend twice as long on it surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'd suggest that when you spend less time doing maths (as us single maths people do), it is considerably harder to do well in maths than if you are taught twice as much and spend twice the time doing one subject. I know you do twice the modules but you should be advanced enough in your maths ability to handle that if you do spend twice as long on it surely.
    Mik1a isn't currently studying F.Maths at the moment, so I think he is in the position to talk. He will be taking F.Maths next year in his 2nd year of 6th form and therefore has experienced just doing single maths.

Some people are naturally going to find Maths easy even if they only do single maths, whereas someone who's doing further maths may still find maths v.difficult! It depends where your strengths lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Mik1a isn't currently studying F.Maths at the moment, so I think he is in the position to talk. He will be taking F.Maths next year in his 2nd year of 6th form and therefore has experienced just doing single maths.

Some people are naturally going to find Maths easy even if they only do single maths, whereas someone who's doing further maths may still find maths v.difficult! It depends where your strengths lie.
    Correct.

People often hesitate to take f maths as a full a level because at the start of sixth form they are unsure how hard maths will be.

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    People often hesitate to take f maths as a full a level because at the start of sixth form they are unsure how hard maths will be.
    This is why I didn't do F.Maths (now I wish I had). I still don't like the comments I get from F.Maths students when I mention that I only do single maths, I think they feel superior because they do more of it or something. Still, when we compare results on tests / modules etc... I usually get my revenge.

Does irritate me that some people do F.Maths as an extra A-level and get an A based on combining 6 easy modules and then they decline the F.Maths grade because they got an E or something. It leaves a nasty taste in my mouth to think that I have worked my ass off (this year anyway) and still might not get an A when they are getting it simply because they have done a larger number of modules.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I didn't do F.Maths (now I wish I had). I still don't like the comments I get from F.Maths students when I mention that I only do single maths, I think they feel superior because they do more of it or something. Still, when we compare results on tests / modules etc... I usually get my revenge.
    Really?

Out of interest would you say most of your f maths people will get an A at normal maths a-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mat666)
    I have a mate who wouldn't agree with that.
    Well, it is down to personal experience.

Actually, at our school we're only given about 1.6 times as many lessons for Double Maths as the Single Maths people, so we get less time to cover the same amount of material.

Really?

Out of interest would you say most of your f maths people will get an A at normal maths a-level?
    I have 5 really good friends in one of the F.Maths classes and our of those...1 will get AA, 1 will get AB and the others will get something like BC, CC and AD. In my college they will let you do F.Maths based on you simply asking to do it so many people who want to look clever do it and end up getting poor grades. I would say that the majority of people in the F.Maths classes will get an A or B in normal maths but in sinlge maths there are maybe 3 of us looking at those kind of grades.

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 really good friends in one of the F.Maths classes and our of those...1 will get AA, 1 will get AB and the others will get something like BC, CC and AD. In my college they will let you do F.Maths based on you simply asking to do it so many people who want to look clever do it and end up getting poor grades.
    I don't think it's worth if if you're going to get BC or CC or even AD! might as well concentrate on one

even AD!
    I actually like this guy but he can't do P3 for beans!!!

ReputationRep:
    i do it because i like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i do it because i like it.
    That is why you should do it

ReputationRep:
    I actually like this guy but he can't do P3 for beans!!!
    awww!! but if he does P6, P3 should be piss in comparison...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.