Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PGCE; Coleraine, Stranmillis, Liverpool, Newcastle watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying for PGCE's this year 2015-2016 and was wondering if anyone has completed a PGCE that could give me some advice, tips and what to expect in the Interviews and throughout the PGCE year?
    Little bit nervous with the interview process.
    If anyone could help that would be great!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi, The majority of my friends from home have studied at Queens, Liverpool, Newcastle or London.
    I'm doing my PGCE in secondary Drama in London. I'm from Northern Ireland, and to be honest, I consider Stranmillis/Queens to be the safe option for teaching and with the lack of jobs there, you're most likely going to end up teaching in England so you may as well train here too as their system is different from Northern Ireland's, Here in London I am exposed to children and communities that are diverse culturally, teaching in London is challenging, exciting, and will look much better on my C.V than teaching in a small school in Belfast, particularly if you are from the area.
    The education system in Northern Ireland is much more superior than the English curriculum though and Stranmillis, being a college of Queens, has a good reputation. For me, where you get your degree from is not important, we're all assessed by the same criteria, attaining teacher standards etc, but the location of where you trained is valuable to future employers.
    Ulster University is a second best option to Queens, it's further away for one. I applied to both these uni's as I didn't want to leave home again, as I had done for my degree, before withdrawing my applications, because the courses didn't suit me.

I also applied to Edge Hill in Liverpool, but when I went for an interview I lost interest, the campus was remote and I changed my age group from further education to secondary, Liverpool is a decent city but my lecturer in London was a uni lecturer in Liverpool Hope and claimed that students struggled to find placements in schools that had a mix of multicultural children and this is something that you may later be assensed on.
    Newcastle is a great uni city, I did my first degree in the North East, it's cheap, fun, and friendly. Both Newcastle university and Northumbria have good reputations and are competitive to get into.
    What courses are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I too am applying for the pgce in Stranmillis and have applied for Coleraine! Would anyone know when I should expect to hear back, if I have been successful or unsuccessful with my application and if I will get an interview?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.