Turn on thread page Beta

Sinister sausage - will you still eat processed meat? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Will you still eat processed/red meat?
    I'll still eat it
    29.47%
    I'll cut down the amount of meat I eat
    25.19%
    I'm going vegetarian/vegan
    11.50%
    Don't care. Everything gives you cancer these days
    33.84%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....-need-to-know/

What is red meat?

Pork, beef and lamb.

What is processed meat?

Meat that has been cured, salted, smoked - like pepperoni, hot dogs, sausages and bacon.

Will your eating habits change? Or will you choose to eat different meat?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    No.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare...m-a-to-z.html/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I've been cutting down on red & processed meat for a while, as my family has an extensive history of bowel cancer

Like everything, moderation is key - lots of fibre and veggies and the occasional steak :dumbells:

It's from the WHO: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621

Not just another crazy Daily Mail scare

ReputationRep:
    This information has been around for so long, how has it only been published in the news now?

I'm definitely going to take steps to reduce the amount of red meat I eat (might even go vegetarian because I rarely eat chicken and fish)

I don't really eat processed meat so that has very little effect on me either way.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I seem to have made a health choice for once. I've cut out red meat around the time I became a teenager, so have only eaten chicken and fish etc for the last 20 years.

What I'd like to know is the which of the groups (2B, 3 or 4) do chicken and fish fall in to.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever eat processed meat, I only eat meat that my mum buys from the butchers and cooks tbh.

Though this news isn't gonna make people change their minds...

Now if you say red meats and processed foods will reduce penis length then THAT would be another story entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Chicken is safe :dance:
    Even though I know it's white meat

Though I just knew pork was dangerous,
    Not beef and mutton too :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    I've been cutting down on red & processed meat for a while, as my family has an extensive history of bowel cancer

Like everything, moderation is key - lots of fibre and veggies and the occasional steak :dumbells:

It's from the WHO: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621

Not just another crazy Daily Mail scare
    It is another scare story. 18% more likely is such a vague statistic. I don't eat heavily processed meat, like hotdogs. Sausages are barely processed it is just pork mince and seasoning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Everything gives you cancer these days"

No it doesn't. What a stupid poll that refuses to take seriously the very real implications of meat consumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    It is another scare story. 18% more likely is such a vague statistic. I don't eat heavily processed meat, like hotdogs. Sausages are barely processed it is just pork mince and seasoning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not only that, but it just increases the risk of cancer. People tend to overlook this.

Say your risk of getting cancer is 5% (just making figures up for the sake of argument) - an 18% increase isn't much to worry about. Lots of things increase that risk, singling out things like red meat is misleading.

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to stay away from processed meats and have good quality red meats in moderation. Fish (except when there are annoying small bones) and chicken are great so not end of the world haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I seem to have made a health choice for once. I've cut out red meat around the time I became a teenager, so have only eaten chicken and fish etc for the last 20 years.

What I'd like to know is the which of the groups (2B, 3 or 4) do chicken and fish fall in to.
    I'd ASSUME chicken would be lower down than fish, purely because you've got a much higher likelihood of environmental toxins entering the marine food chain, such as the warnings on mercury and other heavy metals from fish high up in the food chain like tuna. So I'd guess to be extra careful you'd be well to limit amounts of the larger predatory fish and focus on smaller oily fish (which have their own health benefits).

Anyway back on track, I will still eat it, though I don't eat much anyway. I don't eat bacon as it is, but I'll still have sausages with my English Breakfast, will still have sausage and mash etc, but I only eat that type of thing once a week. I tend to eat chicken much of the time.

Though I wonder where processed white meat products come in? Things like frozen chicken dippers, turkey dinosaurs, kids/party food type stuff?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "processed meat"? You do realize that any meat that has been cooked or just seasoned is technically "processed", don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowWallpaper)
    "Everything gives you cancer these days"

No it doesn't. What a stupid poll that refuses to take seriously the very real implications of meat consumption.
    I don't think you understood his point. The media are always releasing stories about how so many foods and other things cause cancer. However this processed meat example certainly isn't tabloid nonsense.

However the implications aren't as serious as you may think. What were the figures? 18% more likely to contract bowel cancer if you eat processed meat? 18% of what? In America I believe the chances of getting bowel cancer for the average person is 5%. Therefore eating processed meat (not sure why you simply just said 'meat') would only raise your chances of getting cancer from 5% to 5.09%. Kind of negligible don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting fed up of these sort of reports. They say things that sound really bad but that actually aren't. So this one suggested that the risk of getting bowel cancer by eating processed meat was increased by a 1/5th. However, my chance of getting bowel cancer is only about 5 in 100 so that goes up to 6% chance of getting bowel cancer and of those people who do get it, 9 out of 10 are over the age of 60. So eating processed meat is not going to make be drop down dead tomorrow. Reports like this simply scare people and add little useful information. People have been eating bacon and sausages for centuries. Some die early. Some day old. Life goes on.

ReputationRep:
    A new thing that "WILL GIVE YOU CANCER!" is popping up every 3 or 4 months now. I just genuinely dont care anymore.

ReputationRep:
    ffs. People have been eating red meat since the dawn of the human race.

I ain't gonna stop now.

ReputationRep:
    The responses to this report are entirely predictable, and in line with research into human cognitive biases. If something comes along and challenges people's cherished beliefs (or indeed food products), they start coming up with appallingly bad arguments.

"It'll be something new in 5 years/months/weeks" - if new evidence comes along suggesting that something we had not previously considered to cause cancer actually does, then yes, it will be. That's how science works. The notion that something new is said to cause cancer every few months or years is doubtful, especially considering that the peer-reviewed scientific literature has indicated for some time that processed meat and, to a lesser extent, unprocessed red meat, increases one's risk of cancer (and overall mortality and cardiovascular disease, as well as Type 2 diabetes).

"This is social engineering by fascists" - no, it's not. Nobody's saying that you should completely cut out red and processed meat. If you want to, it is simply recommended to just look at how much you're eating and replace it, on occasion, with healthier options such as whole grains, legumes and nuts.

"We're all going to die eventually" - this is almost certainly true. But, by this logic, we should just close down all the hospitals and stop saving lives because "we're all going to die eventually". That was the point of this report - to increase public awareness to help save lives, particularly as surveys suggest that 40% of men eat more than 90g of red and processed meat a day.

"Everything in moderation" - everything? Mercury, cyanide and tobacco in moderation? The term "moderation" could also be very self-serving: someone who eats 100g of red and processed meat a day will probably have a very different idea of what moderation is than somebody eats red and processed meat once a week or so.

"These health experts want to suck all the joy out of life" - if the only sources of joy people have are tobacco, alcohol and red and processed meat, then some people's lives are more glum than I had previously thought.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What's the point of telling people to stop eating red meat? We have been eating it for years. Too much of anything is bad for you, ever heard of that saying? Even too much water can kill you. The problem is, as our life expectancy increases so does the risk of cancer. So even if we do stop eating red meat, yes it increases our life span but so does the cancer risk. Therefore, a diet without red meat will not prevent you from getting cancer.
    https://youtu.be/xbTR6LhD5co

EDIT: Looking at the number of cases in young people, it has been increasing... so it may not be due to aging, there is another factor in place here.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.