Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UK growth slows more than expected watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.sky.com/story/1576834/uk...-third-quarter

Ah well, i'm sure it's all part of the 'long term economic plan'.

ReputationRep:
    0.5% is still around trend. Nothing to see here.

Not overly shocking if you follow my thread every month in the news section.

ReputationRep:
    So the economy is still growing (as pointed out by the chief economist of the ONS in the article you posted), just slightly less than it was previously and slightly less than forecasted?

I thought we were due a double/triple dip recession?

I don't think it really matters that much though. The bubble is being artificially pumped up and when it bursts again a fraction of a percent here or there in various sectors won't be the headline anymore
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Concerning that you are gleeful at the thought of the economy slowing...

Still at least there is still growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Concerning that you are gleeful at the thought of the economy slowing...

Still at least there is still growth.
    No, i'm gleeful at Tory bs being shown up for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    A Labour win at the election would have made it far worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    So please tell me in specific detail how a Labour win would have slowed down growth by more. No general comments please.

ReputationRep:
    So please tell me in specific detail how a Labour win would have slowed down growth by more. No general comments please.
    Two words: market confidence.

Now you explain to me how the Tories have messed up their economic plan.

ReputationRep:
    Two words: market confidence.

Now you explain to me how the Tories have messed up their economic plan.
    I said a specific explanation. That's just unsubstantiated rhetoric with no basis.
    In other words you have no clue.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's pretty clear your happy at the prospect of an economic slowdown if it justifies your political beliefs. You can't blame a slowdown solely on the government in power. The article you posted makes that fairly clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I said a specific explanation. That's just unsubstantiated rhetoric with no basis.
    In other words you have no clue.
    It isn't rhetoric; perhaps you could google it - and don't read only the Guardian articles.

Or you can continue covering your ears and singing, that may help.

And please answer my question - I don't require a specific explanation

ReputationRep:
    Economy is heading for a recession/depression, life has not improved for the average joe either way. Too much money in over inflated "assets", natural prices will occur once again. BOE best hurry up and bring up IR as they won't have many tools to counter it.

Enjoy.

P.S they will blame it on China but it's not a supply side issue it's a demand side issue. Consumers in the west are BROKE - Over leveraged and very little to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    It's pretty clear your happy at the prospect of an economic slowdown if it justifies your political beliefs. You can't blame a slowdown solely on the government in power. The article you posted makes that fairly clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just like how Tories love NHS crises....
    Never said otherwise.
    I don't believe growth reaches anyone except those at the top, so a slow down is meaningless for the huge majority.

ReputationRep:
    So you're specific explanation is 'Google it'. Pretty much shows your level of debate and intellect. Don't bother replying.
    Oh the petty name-calling leftist retort! How excruciating!

PS: You have yet to answer my question, which is highly impolite, considering that I answered yours (no matter how disatisfactory it was to you, someone who has a much higher level of intellect)

ReputationRep:
    The Tories, the Murdoch Media and all the FTSE100 Ceo's would have you believe that the problem is welfare. The reason why the bang on about welfare 247 is because less public spending means less taxes for big business. Corporation Tax has been reduced from 28% in 2010 to 18% as of George Osborne's Budget 2015.

Every Tax Year FTSE100 companies make 47.6 billion collectively together in profit. If you want to know where low earners Tax Credits money went then you only need to do a minor math calculation.

47.6 / 100 * 10. = 4.76 billion. That is the 10% of tax revenue which George Osborne handed back to FTSE 100 corporations in tax cuts. The Tax Credit cuts are worth 4.4 billion.

Here is my source:
    http://www.portfolio-adviser.com/new...rkets-struggle

"FTSE 100 companies saw pre tax profits fall by 36.7% to a five year low of £11.9 billion last quarter".

So these CEO's are going to whine to the Tories & Murdoch. After Tax Credits have been cut they'll move onto making more cuts to other parts of social security benefits.

Nothing like a cry baby capitalist.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know? You seem to be suggesting that politicians are somehow able to affect the economy. Of course, when everything is good, it is down to the politicians. When things are bad, it is down to external influences. My personal feeling is that politicians play and almost insignificant part in affecting the economic output of the country. They tinker at the edges but never have much real impact.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the petty name-calling leftist retort! How excruciating!

PS: You have yet to answer my question, which is highly impolite, considering that I answered yours (no matter how disatisfactory it was to you, someone who is a much higher level of intellect)
    Ignore this guy. He is asking you for a long essay but even if you produce it he will ignore all the points in it.

His delusion is so high he doesn't seem to want to admit than 0.5% growth under the Tories is great compared to actual recession under Labour.

He asks you for an essay so long you could never possibly produce it on why Labour are worse for the economy (well the electorate seem to think so on the whole) yet doesn't do the same for why the Tories economic plan isn't working.

Hypocrite on the left. Who would have thought it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    How do you know? You seem to be suggesting that politicians are somehow able to affect the economy. Of course, when everything is good, it is down to the politicians. When things are bad, it is down to external influences. My personal feeling is that politicians play and almost insignificant part in affecting the economic output of the country. They tinker at the edges but never have much real impact.
    That may very well true. But wasn't OP the first one who first made the claim that politicians are able to influence the economy (for better or for worse?)

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean sustained growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    The Tories, the Murdoch Media and all the FTSE100 Ceo's would have you believe that the problem is welfare. The reason why the bang on about welfare 247 is because less public spending means less taxes for big business. Corporation Tax has been reduced from 28% in 2010 to 18% as of George Osborne's Budget 2015.

Every Tax Year FTSE100 companies make 47.6 billion collectively together in profit. If you want to know where low earners Tax Credits money went then you only need to do a minor math calculation.

47.6 / 100 * 10. = 4.76 billion. That is the 10% of tax revenue which George Osborne handed back to FTSE 100 corporations in tax cuts. The Tax Credit cuts are worth 4.4 billion.

Here is my source:
    http://www.portfolio-adviser.com/new...rkets-struggle

"FTSE 100 companies saw pre tax profits fall by 36.7% to a five year low of £11.9 billion last quarter".

So these CEO's are going to whine to the Tories & Murdoch. After Tax Credits have been cut they'll move onto making more cuts to other parts of social security benefits.

Nothing like a cry baby capitalist.
    There's a host of reasons for the economy. Welfare isn't really one. Continued borrowing of money with no ability to pay it back is one however.

Low productivity is one which I believe is being addressed.

Increased trade is another one.

So's job creation.

Why do people such as yourself and bornblue relish bad news? Does people
    In misery make you feel good?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.