Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Considering dropping out to change course. Would student finance fund me? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last year I started studying Law at university. A few weeks in I made the decision to defer until this year. I have started again this year and I really cannot stand my course. I dread going into university and the large work load is horrible when you're not interested in the field. It has also confirmed to me I do not want a job in Law at all. Before anyone criticises me for choosing a subject I now hate all I can say is the course sounded good on paper and I enjoyed my work experience at a solicitors so thought it would be a good fit for me, evidently I was wrong.

I would like to change courses but obviously it is too late in the year to start now so I would have to start next year. Would student finance fund me for the full 3 years if i started a new course? I only received one payment last year and paid it all back in full the minute I left university. This year I of course cannot pay it all back so would they still fund my new course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DariusDaryis)
    Last year I started studying Law at university. A few weeks in I made the decision to defer until this year. I have started again this year and I really cannot stand my course. I dread going into university and the large work load is horrible when you're not interested in the field. It has also confirmed to me I do not want a job in Law at all. Before anyone criticises me for choosing a subject I now hate all I can say is the course sounded good on paper and I enjoyed my work experience at a solicitors so thought it would be a good fit for me, evidently I was wrong.

I would like to change courses but obviously it is too late in the year to start now so I would have to start next year. Would student finance fund me for the full 3 years if i started a new course? I only received one payment last year and paid it all back in full the minute I left university. This year I of course cannot pay it all back so would they still fund my new course?
    When you say you started last year, then deferred and started again this year, what did you receive from student finance last year? If they made any payments to either you or your University last year then in their eyes it counts as a full year studied, regardless of whether you were there for 1 day or the entire year.

Student finance will fund you for the length of your degree plus one year.

So essentially if you drop out of your first degree during your first year then your second degree will be fully funded. If however you do more than one year of your first degree then for every extra year you're done, you will lose one year of funding on your next degree.

So assuming that SFE did make a payment of some kind to you last year you have used up two years of your funding. As a result if you go back to do another degree you will not qualify for a tuition fee loan or any means tested support in your first year. All you will be able to claim from SFE is the minimum maintenance loan, which is approximately £3,600, and you will have to pay the tuition fees out of your own pocket. They will however fully fund your degree from year 2 through to the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    When you say you started last year, then deferred and started again this year, what did you receive from student finance last year?
    I recieved the first loan and grant payment. When I left the university they sent me a letter with an amount they wanted me to pay back classed as an overpayment. I paid this and all was well. This payment is listed under my ''your payments'' section on the student finance website although they paid no tuition to the university last year.

Are you saying I would have to fund the first year of a new course myself? As in tuition and living cost?

ReputationRep:
    I recieved the first loan and grant payment. When I left the university they sent me a letter with an amount they wanted me to pay back classed as an overpayment. I paid this and all was well. This payment is listed under my ''your payments'' section on the student finance website although they paid no tuition to the university last year.

Are you saying I would have to fund the first year of a new course myself? As in tuition and living cost?
    So you made a payment to SFE after you dropped out, but was this for the exact total that they had paid you? If you have received money for the first two years of your degree, which unless you paid back every penny of maintenance loan that SFE paid you in your first year, you have, then yes you will have to pay for your own tuition fees and any living costs over the £3,600 maintenance loan in the first year of your new degree.

ReputationRep:
    So you made a payment to SFE after you dropped out, but was this for the exact total that they had paid you? If you have received money for the first two years of your degree, which unless you paid back every penny of maintenance loan that SFE paid you in your first year, you have, then yes you will have to pay for your own tuition fees and any living costs over the £3,600 maintenance loan in the first year of your new degree.
    Yes the payment was the exact total that was paid to me. They wanted the full loan back and a portion of the grant back as overpayment but I was still eligible for some of the grant due to the amount of time I was there. I simply filled out the cheque they sent me and that was it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the payment was the exact total that was paid to me. They wanted the full loan back and a portion of the grant back as overpayment but I was still eligible for some of the grant due to the amount of time I was there. I simply filled out the cheque they sent me and that was it.
    So you haven't paid back everything you received as you didn't pay back the full amount that was given to you as a grant.

Therefore in the eyes of student finance you have claimed 2 years of funding and are not eligible for funding in year 1 of your new degree.

ReputationRep:
    So you haven't paid back everything you received as you didn't pay back the full amount that was given to you as a grant.

Therefore in the eyes of student finance you have claimed 2 years of funding and are not eligible for funding in year 1 of your new degree.
    Fair enough, thank you for all the replies.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same issue near enough, can anyone help?
    I completed the first year of my fashion degree and dropped out before the end of first semester in my second year due to illness.
    After a year out I've majority changed my mind on my career path and want to change onto a whole new course, will they fund three more years under any circumstances? with dropping out for health issues and not even completing the first semester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alixq:))
    I have the exact same issue near enough, can anyone help?
    I completed the first year of my fashion degree and dropped out before the end of first semester in my second year due to illness.
    After a year out I've majority changed my mind on my career path and want to change onto a whole new course, will they fund three more years under any circumstances? with dropping out for health issues and not even completing the first semester?
    Best thing to do would be to contact and ask them yourself. In my case they said it wasnt possible to get full funding because they paid a tuition instalment to the university (even though it was refunded to them it still counted). There may be special circumstances seeing as you dropped out due to health issues.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do would be to contact and ask them yourself. In my case they said it wasnt possible to get full funding because they paid a tuition instalment to the university (even though it was refunded to them it still counted). There may be special circumstances seeing as you dropped out due to health issues.
    i really hope so! thank you hope you get everything sorted

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.