OCR A - Chemistry A Level (2015 new specification)

Watch
MsDanderson
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thought I'd start a subject specific thread for study/homework help, tips and anything related 😊
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
WhyAlwaysMe?!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How far is everyone through the syllabus?
lozzie-xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone think that the grade boundaries for Chemistry and all sciences will go down due to the fact there aren't any January module exams, and we have to sit everything at the end of the 2 years??
Vanilla Poison
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!)
We'll be starting electrons and bonding (2.2) after the holidays, not sure if we're behind or not.
MsDanderson
(Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!)
Tbh, I think we've only just finished all the maths calculations. Not sure how far that is!

(Original post by lozzie-xx)
Does anyone think that the grade boundaries for Chemistry and all sciences will go down due to the fact there aren't any January module exams, and we have to sit everything at the end of the 2 years??
I actually think it won't because people expect it to be hard, so will work harder, if that makes any sense?
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My co-teacher and I will have covered 2.1, 2.2 and section 3.1 by Christmas including some of the PAGs.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My class only start in January.

AND they will be taking the AS paper in June.
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)

How come you start in Jan?

Interesting profile btw. chemistry, astronomy and Latin!
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
International students from south of the equator, so their summer term only finishes in December, then they hot foot it to us.

I am a man of many hats - especially since my degree was in a biological science.
yukicookie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We will be starting module 3 after half term is over. It's alright at the moment I think but my school makes everyone sit the AS exams regardless of continuing to A2.
MsDanderson
(Original post by Pigster)

(Original post by yukicookie)
We will be starting module 3 after half term is over. It's alright at the moment I think but my school makes everyone sit the AS exams regardless of continuing to A2.
My college is doing this as well. They want us to sit the AS exam even it won't be contributed to our final grade in A2. Doesn't hurt u suppose!
amizai13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The way it works is that if you decide you want to drop that subject, you keep the AS grade. But if you continue it, you have to resit that exam (as in those modules) in another paper at the end of the second year. It's like a taster session of the exams.
Oh, and the results we get at the end of the 'practice' exams next year (2016), they'll be used for our UCAS
skylightflower
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MsDanderson)
My college is doing this as well. They want us to sit the AS exam even it won't be contributed to our final grade in A2. Doesn't hurt u suppose!
The AS exams are important as the results are what the uni's base our offers on
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skylightflower)
The AS exams are important as the results are what the uni's base our offers on
Schools do not have to get their students to sit the AS exam. That being the case some uni offers will be made on predicted A2 grades.
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by amizai13)
The way it works is that if you decide you want to drop that subject, you keep the AS grade. But if you continue it, you have to resit that exam (as in those modules) in another paper at the end of the second year. It's like a taster session of the exams.
Oh, and the results we get at the end of the 'practice' exams next year (2016), they'll be used for our UCAS
The AS is a stand alone qualification. Your grade for this is kept whether you drop or continue.
MsDanderson
(Original post by TeachChemistry)
Schools do not have to get their students to sit the AS exam. That being the case some uni offers will be made on predicted A2 grades.
So schools can choose to use your AS exam grade or a predicted grade? Will Uni's be preferential over one than the other?
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MsDanderson)
So schools can choose to use your AS exam grade or a predicted grade? Will Uni's be preferential over one than the other?
If you did AS then you must add the results to your application. Your school will still have to give a predicted grade. It's not a case of either/or

If you don't sit the AS then obviously all the uni has to go on is your predicted grade (and personal statement, reference, GCSEs etc)
Jitesh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeachChemistry)
The AS is a stand alone qualification. Your grade for this is kept whether you drop or continue.
I think the grade is not kept if you continue but Unis still will see it if you took it.
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jitesh)
I think the grade is not kept if you continue but Unis still will see it if you took it.
I'm not convinced you are correct here so I have written to OCR for clarification. I will let you know what they say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads