Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thought I'd start a subject specific thread for study/homework help, tips and anything related 😊
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    How far is everyone through the syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that the grade boundaries for Chemistry and all sciences will go down due to the fact there aren't any January module exams, and we have to sit everything at the end of the 2 years??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!)
    We'll be starting electrons and bonding (2.2) after the holidays, not sure if we're behind or not.

(Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!)
    Tbh, I think we've only just finished all the maths calculations. Not sure how far that is!

(Original post by lozzie-xx)
    Does anyone think that the grade boundaries for Chemistry and all sciences will go down due to the fact there aren't any January module exams, and we have to sit everything at the end of the 2 years??
    I actually think it won't because people expect it to be hard, so will work harder, if that makes any sense?

ReputationRep:
    My co-teacher and I will have covered 2.1, 2.2 and section 3.1 by Christmas including some of the PAGs.

ReputationRep:
    My class only start in January.

AND they will be taking the AS paper in June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)

How come you start in Jan?

Interesting profile btw. chemistry, astronomy and Latin!

ReputationRep:
    International students from south of the equator, so their summer term only finishes in December, then they hot foot it to us.

I am a man of many hats - especially since my degree was in a biological science.

ReputationRep:
    We will be starting module 3 after half term is over. It's alright at the moment I think but my school makes everyone sit the AS exams regardless of continuing to A2.

(Original post by Pigster)

(Original post by yukicookie)
    We will be starting module 3 after half term is over. It's alright at the moment I think but my school makes everyone sit the AS exams regardless of continuing to A2.
    My college is doing this as well. They want us to sit the AS exam even it won't be contributed to our final grade in A2. Doesn't hurt u suppose!

ReputationRep:
    The way it works is that if you decide you want to drop that subject, you keep the AS grade. But if you continue it, you have to resit that exam (as in those modules) in another paper at the end of the second year. It's like a taster session of the exams.
    Oh, and the results we get at the end of the 'practice' exams next year (2016), they'll be used for our UCAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsDanderson)
    My college is doing this as well. They want us to sit the AS exam even it won't be contributed to our final grade in A2. Doesn't hurt u suppose!
    The AS exams are important as the results are what the uni's base our offers on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylightflower)
    The AS exams are important as the results are what the uni's base our offers on
    Schools do not have to get their students to sit the AS exam. That being the case some uni offers will be made on predicted A2 grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amizai13)
    The way it works is that if you decide you want to drop that subject, you keep the AS grade. But if you continue it, you have to resit that exam (as in those modules) in another paper at the end of the second year. It's like a taster session of the exams.
    Oh, and the results we get at the end of the 'practice' exams next year (2016), they'll be used for our UCAS
    The AS is a stand alone qualification. Your grade for this is kept whether you drop or continue.

(Original post by TeachChemistry)
    Schools do not have to get their students to sit the AS exam. That being the case some uni offers will be made on predicted A2 grades.
    So schools can choose to use your AS exam grade or a predicted grade? Will Uni's be preferential over one than the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsDanderson)
    So schools can choose to use your AS exam grade or a predicted grade? Will Uni's be preferential over one than the other?
    If you did AS then you must add the results to your application. Your school will still have to give a predicted grade. It's not a case of either/or

If you don't sit the AS then obviously all the uni has to go on is your predicted grade (and personal statement, reference, GCSEs etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    The AS is a stand alone qualification. Your grade for this is kept whether you drop or continue.
    I think the grade is not kept if you continue but Unis still will see it if you took it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    I think the grade is not kept if you continue but Unis still will see it if you took it.
    I'm not convinced you are correct here so I have written to OCR for clarification. I will let you know what they say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.