Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So for part of my first year I have to learn how to reference using APA correctly, we have been given a list of about 10 incorrect reference to correct, there's these two below where I can't see anything wrong with...Might be better with a few pairs of eye Any help is welcome thanks

Reference 1: Cottler, L. B. (1993). Comparing DSM-III-R and ICD-10 substance misuse disorders. Addiction, 88, 689-696

Reference 2: Bandura, A. (1977). Social Learning Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    2 - you don't use italics for the title, it doesn't have the journal name (also should be in italics), should be a full stop after Englewood Cliffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    2 - you don't use italics for the title, it doesn't have the journal name (also should be in italics), should be a full stop after Englewood Cliffs
    Thanks!!
    What is wrong with number 1??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok, going from an APA reference: Melatonin and Temperature as Circadian Phase Markers and Their Relation to Sleep Times in Humans". Journal of Biological Rhythms 20 (2): 178–188.

I would say how the last part of journal volume is written is wrong

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly how I would write reference 1 (your example, not Noodlzzz's), therefore the only thing I can see wrong with it is that there is not full stop after the page number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Sinnie_)
    That is exactly how I would write reference 1 (your example, not Noodlzzz's), therefore the only thing I can see wrong with it is that there is not full stop after the page number.
    Thanks

I was wondering if you knew anything about citations?

Would Farabee, Pendergast & Anglin, 1998 get shortened to Farabee et al or left as it is?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure, with three authors, you cite the names every time in the text.

The rules change if there are more authors (with 4-6 I think you cite all the names the first time then use et al. subsequently), with over 6 you use et al. straight away and in the references section name the first 6 and use et al. for the rest. Or something like that. You'll have to check the APA guide, I haven't read it in over 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annagaga)

Reference 1: Cottler, L. B. (1993). Comparing DSM-III-R and ICD-10 substance misuse disorders. Addiction, 88, 689-696
    The format for a journal article is:
    AuthorLastName, Initials. (Year). Title of article. Title of Journal, Volume(Issue), Page Number(s).

So there is no issue number and no dot at the end. The correct version would be:
    Cottler, L. B. (1993). Comparing DSM-III-R and ICD-10 substance misuse disorders. Addiction, 88(issueNumber), 689-696.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Isnt the second reference a book, though?

ReputationRep:
    Also 88 shouldn't be in italics for ref 1.

BTW, if you download Mendeley or EndNote you can simply paste your pdf papers into that and it will automatically do your references. Realistically, nobody types references by hand anymore this is a pointless skill to learn.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.