Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Before I ask this question I'd like to get a few things out there:
    1: Yes i know I haven't been here that long
    2: Yes i know I should try to stick it out

So, I've been at uni for around 5 weeks now. I enjoy it sometimes but most the time i'm quite indifferent about it. My course used to excite me at A Level but now does not at degree (CompSci). It isn't that its too hard it just isn't fun anymore.

My flat mates are all really nice people and we have all tried to help each other settle in however I'm not that happy at uni. I do miss home as everyone does and I go home every 3 weeks or so.

I just don't feel university is for me? It just seems wrong and I'm not sure I like 1 hour lectures were nothing actually gets taught and I still have to learn it all by myself anyway?

I have contacted my personal tutor and she wants me to wait till christmas to make my decision but i'm not sure I can.

Any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    r u dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanvir98)
    r u dumb

sorry wrong one

ReputationRep:
    r u dumb
    No, you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Smithson)
    x
    Your tutor knows you best and I would be inclined to stick with her advice, wait till Christmas to decide.

ReputationRep:
    I would say to think about it VERY carefully, and you'll probably get that advice a million times over. I have personal experience of it myself because at one point (only up until about 3 weeks ago), I hated my course and I wasn't enjoying the whole Uni thing for various reasons. But I can tell you now that I am now loving my course and feel a lot more settled in with a few friends that I have really clicked with. For some people it may take more time, and its true that your course really may not be for you, but please think so so carefully.

There may be a mixture of reasons as to why you don't feel 'right' about it, is what I'm saying. As for the flatmates situation, yes many flats are all very close at this point in the year but I have already seen in my own flat that we are all starting to disintegrate to form our own groups within it. I am not properly 'friends' with everyone I live with, neither would I necessarily expect to be. You cannot please everyone, and there are other people out there besides flatmates who you probably have a lot more in common with anyway.

Think about why you decided to take the course and leave home for uni in the first place, and then reassess the situation from there. On the jobs front, from what I understand that "a degree is a degree" unless you have a very particular career in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Your tutor knows you best and I would be inclined to stick with her advice, wait till Christmas to decide.
    Thanks I probably will do that, just wanted to get some advice from people who are not at the uni

ReputationRep:
    I would say to think about it VERY carefully, and you'll probably get that advice a million times over. I have personal experience of it myself because at one point (only up until about 3 weeks ago), I hated my course and I wasn't enjoying the whole Uni thing for various reasons. But I can tell you now that I am now loving my course and feel a lot more settled in with a few friends that I have really clicked with. For some people it may take more time, and its true that your course really may not be for you, but please think so so carefully.

There may be a mixture of reasons as to why you don't feel 'right' about it, is what I'm saying. As for the flatmates situation, yes many flats are all very close at this point in the year but I have already seen in my own flat that we are all starting to disintegrate to form our own groups within it. I am not properly 'friends' with everyone I live with, neither would I necessarily expect to be. You cannot please everyone, and there are other people out there besides flatmates who you probably have a lot more in common with anyway.

Think about why you decided to take the course and leave home for uni in the first place, and then reassess the situation from there. On the jobs front, from what I understand that "a degree is a degree" unless you have a very particular career in mind.
    Yeah I suppose I need to think about it really hard. I hope it is that I just need more time for it all to click into place.

I agree, there are some people who I get on better with in the flat than others and I wouldn't try to be everyones friend as it isn't possible .

I honestly didn't want to go to uni for many reasons but changed my mind when applying, I had this long term goal of getting a good job in Computing which would require a degree. Although I am now not sure whether I want that.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in the same situation as you, I'm going to give it till Christmas and I'd recommend maybe trying to stay at uni without going home as often? I've been going every 3 weeks too and when I go home it kinda makes me feel worse about uni because I realise what comforts I'm missing when I go home and come back to uni, I'm going to try and stay at uni without any visits home till Christmas and see how it goes, but yeah just make the most of it for now and see how you feel.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.