The Student Room Group

Need help regarding those No Win No Fee solicitors

My partner was involved in an accident while he was on his way to work, he then decided to sign up for legal assistance based on the advice he got from his family. A solicitor came many months ago, asking questions and they got him to sign a contract.
Now after many, many months, my partner received a bill of over £600 and they said if he did not want them to continue with the case then they will add another £7000.

His injuries have long healed, he did not even know that the case is still ongoing seeing that they did not get in touch with him with any updates. I believe the case was opened some time last year. The company that caused the injuries did not even bother cooperating with the solicitors.Is there anything my partner can do?

Any help id greatly appreciated.
Original post by Demi90
My partner was involved in an accident while he was on his way to work, he then decided to sign up for legal assistance based on the advice he got from his family. A solicitor came many months ago, asking questions and they got him to sign a contract.
Now after many, many months, my partner received a bill of over £600 and they said if he did not want them to continue with the case then they will add another £7000.

His injuries have long healed, he did not even know that the case is still ongoing seeing that they did not get in touch with him with any updates. I believe the case was opened some time last year. The company that caused the injuries did not even bother cooperating with the solicitors.Is there anything my partner can do?

Any help id greatly appreciated.

He needs to speak with the law firm to start with. There is something he is misunderstanding, but I can't work out what.

The £7000 is perfectly correct. If you engage a firm on a no win no fee basis , the firm covers the costs of doing the work and takes the risk of your partner losing. If he pulls out after they have done £7000 of work so thy have no chance of getting the defendant to pay, it is only fair he should pay.

What doesn't make sense is the £600 bill if the case is ongoing. I think, but do not know, that this is money payable out of his winnings but only if he wins. As I say speak to thee firm first. If the answer still doesn't make sense write to the senior partner with a complaint. There are ways of taking it further but that gets the ball rolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
He needs to speak with the law firm to start with. There is something he is misunderstanding, but I can't work out what.

The £7000 is perfectly correct. If you engage a firm on a no win no fee basis , the firm covers the costs of doing the work and takes the risk of your partner losing. If he pulls out after they have done £7000 of work so thy have no chance of getting the defendant to pay, it is only fair he should pay.

What doesn't make sense is the £600 bill if the case is ongoing. I think, but do not know, that this is money payable out of his winnings but only if he wins. As I say speak to thee firm first. If the answer still doesn't make sense write to the senior partner with a complaint. There are ways of taking it further but that gets the ball rolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you very much, he found out that there was a misunderstanding and that they will only take 25% of whatever he may win.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending