Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In the middle of family crisis watch

Announcements

Ok so here it is
    My sister, when I was little told my parents she was gay, they freaked out. I don't really know how that was resolved but i think a one point they threatened to kick her out.
    Yesterday it all came up again, My sister was invited to her girlfriends house for Christmas, but she didn't want to miss out on our Christmas so she asked my dad if she could bring her girlfriend and her parents over to our house for Christmas. I found out she has had a girlfriend for around 4 years and Mum and Dad were worried they were planning a big announcement. Mum and Dad refused, saying if she wanted to g somewhere else for Christmas that's fine. I want her here for Christmas, and I want to meet her girlfriend, especially since its clearly serous.

When they were explaining this to me at one point they kept referring to my sisters girlfriend as "Person" . They say its their choice and by allowing this they are consenting to the relationship. They say people can do what they want but their house they would not allow it. Mum said being gay, to her felt unnatural and wrong, and she didn't eat dinner, saying she felt sick.
    But their opinion makes ME feel sick, yes I am angry that my sister didn't tell me and that I couldn't help her, What do I do, My parents say I must make my own decision and they know they are prejudice. I really want my sister to come home for Christmas, I hardly ever see her?
    I am Asexual and that's even less heard of, even today. If they find out am I in a worse place? and what do I do about my sister? I want to help her but I still live with mum and dad (I'm 16) so I don't want to fall out with anyone

ReputationRep:
    continue to maintain a relationship with your sister, sibling bonds are super important because when your parents are gone you guys will only have each other! your parents have a pretty old fashioned view on sexuality (which you already know) but this is pretty normal for their generation. While you're living them you should probably respect that, which may be difficult but hey you only have 2 more years, 2 more christmases.
    Asexuality is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and you should continue to live your life not caring what your parents reactions are if you tell them.
    It basically sounds like this is a bit of a waiting game for you and depending on how you think your parents will react, you can stand up for your sister and the LGBTQ community if you feel they wont do something drastic like kick you out.
    Good luck! x

(Original post by kbhugeloo)
    continue to maintain a relationship with your sister, sibling bonds are super important because when your parents are gone you guys will only have each other! your parents have a pretty old fashioned view on sexuality (which you already know) but this is pretty normal for their generation. While you're living them you should probably respect that, which may be difficult but hey you only have 2 more years, 2 more christmases.
    Asexuality is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and you should continue to live your life not caring what your parents reactions are if you tell them.
    It basically sounds like this is a bit of a waiting game for you and depending on how you think your parents will react, you can stand up for your sister and the LGBTQ community if you feel they wont do something drastic like kick you out.
    Good luck! x
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.