Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    By slut I do not just mean a girl who sleeps around, which some people call a slut, but one who wears revealing clothes, flirts a lot, wears certain makeup like smoky eyes or red lips, posts sexy pictures on Instagram etc.

A lot of guys call these "slutty" and look down on them

But then they reward those women by treating them better whether by choosing them for relationships or even in the workplace (most of my friends who work have older male bosses who favour the girls at work who flirt with them etc.)

Im in my 20s and I am definitely not one haha, but "nice ladylike" girls who are the opposite of "sluts" ALWAYS get bullied in both the work place and real life, and guys don't actually like them for girlfriends. Women cant win

I'm not a feminist but what do you think

ReputationRep:
    from my experience and understanding its not typically guys who slut-shame, but girls

obviously i'm not saying all guys don't; there are some wastemen who do. but it's mainly girls who judge harshly and brand others 'sluts' and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate sluts but I find them annoying because it's just shallow with all that stuff and I see this kind of stuff a lot so it's even more annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    from my experience and understanding its not typically guys who slut-shame, but girls

obviously i'm not saying all guys don't; there are some wastemen who do. but it's mainly girls who judge harshly and brand others 'sluts' and so on.
    In my experience it's more the opposite. I'm in my 20s though :dontknow: but it was the same in school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    I don't hate sluts but I find them annoying because it's just shallow with all that stuff and I see this kind of stuff a lot so it's even more annoying.
    Why is it shallow though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)

Haha, Its been a long time since I've heard that one. Made me giggle.

ReputationRep:
    Guys want something they can stick their **** in without much trouble.

But they don't want them to make an emotional connection with.

So depends what the guy wants. If they are young and want to ****, they're gonna pick a slut who's easy. If they're older and settling down, they're gonna want a nice clean girl who's got her priorities right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Guys want something they can stick their **** in without much trouble.

But they don't want them to make an emotional connection with.

So depends what the guy wants. If they are young and want to ****, they're gonna pick a slut who's easy. If they're older and settling down, they're gonna want a nice clean girl who's got her priorities right.
    A lot of those young guys still criticise "sluts" though.

Also a lot of guys who are older and say they want to settle down still think with their snake haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    A lot of those young guys still criticise "sluts" though.

Also a lot of guys who are older and say they want to settle down still think with their snake haha
    Well they're not gonna respect someone like that are they xD

It's very hypocritical in my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that guys should control their urges instead of wanting every girl to give it up with some sweet talk. That just makes it harder to settle down later in life.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it shallow though?
    Because with the criteria you gave e.g. revealing clothes and using that for attention is just shallow.

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate sluts im just not interested in them for relationships. I have a female friend who is a 'slut' and is a nice person but I like good girls for realtiobships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Well they're not gonna respect someone like that are they xD

It's very hypocritical in my opinion.

I'm of the opinion that guys should control their urges instead of wanting every girl to give it up with some sweet talk. That just makes it harder to settle down later in life.
    I agree it is hypocritical

A guy could probably "sleep around" and get married without partner caring whereas a girl couldn't now.

Also girls get labelled "frigid" if they are more reserved about it too.. I do a lot of the things above but don't sleep around even I have been called frigid lol

ReputationRep:
    Because with the criteria you gave e.g. revealing clothes and using that for attention is just shallow.
    Well people attention seek in different ways. Like TSR users boasting about grades isnt that shallow

ReputationRep:
    By slut I do not just mean a girl who sleeps around, which some people call a slut, but one who wears revealing clothes, flirts a lot, wears certain makeup like smoky eyes or red lips, posts sexy pictures on Instagram etc.

A lot of guys call these "slutty" and look down on them

But then they reward those women by treating them better whether by choosing them for relationships or even in the workplace (most of my friends who work have older male bosses who favour the girls at work who flirt with them etc.)

Im in my 20s and I am definitely not one haha, but "nice ladylike" girls who are the opposite of "sluts" ALWAYS get bullied in both the work place and real life, and guys don't actually like them for girlfriends. Women cant win

I'm not a feminist but what do you think
    Experience tells me that's it rather those that don't stick up for themselves and come across as an easy target that get builled in social settings.

ReputationRep:
    Well people attention seek in different ways. Like TSR users boasting about grades isnt that shallow
    Yes it is. However this isn't a thread on grades it's on sluts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Experience tells me that's it rather those that don't stick up for themselves and come across as an easy target that get builled in social settings.
    Were you bullied?

I wasn't but IMO "girly girls" usually get bullied, because being "girly" or a lady is partly about being quiet etc.

ReputationRep:
    Im in my 20s and I am definitely not one haha, but "nice ladylike" girls who are the opposite of "sluts" ALWAYS get bullied in both the work place and real life, and guys don't actually like them for girlfriends. Women can't win
    I disagree. The girls that sleep around (etc) usually end up with the guys that do the same (and likely have a terrible relationship and cheat on each other, generalisations ftw ).

The "nice" women are more likely be seen as long-term relationship material, and more likely to attract "nice" guys - so it all works out well in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. However this isn't a thread on grades it's on sluts.
    Why does it annoy you if they're not bothering you though

ReputationRep:
    Were you bullied?

I wasn't but IMO "girly girls" usually get bullied, because being "girly" or a lady is partly about being quiet etc.
    I have been when I was younger and I've seen others be on the receiving end of it too, I just notice the patterns in behaviour tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    I disagree. The girls that sleep around (etc) usually end up with the guys that do the same (and likely have a terrible relationship and cheat on each other, generalisations ftw ).

The "nice" women are more likely be seen as long-term relationship material, and more likely to attract "nice" guys - so it all works out well in the end.
    That's what people say but I've often seen that the "nice guys" are just pretending and think with their dicks lol (no offence :teehee:)

For example older guys in workplaces who are married or have longterm gfs, most people think they are respectable but a lot of them chase the 20something secretary even if she's not flirting with him

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.