Turn on thread page Beta

How do I become a research engineer in Biomedical Engineering? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I want to conduct research in the future in areas such as tissue engineering, drug delivery (Especially in cancer treatments), artificial limbs and organs etc...

    I've been told that I should do either a Chemical or Mechanical Engineering degree as studying Biomedical Engineering is too specific.

    Which degree would get me into this career?

    And if I chose Chemical or Mechanical Engineering where should I carry out my year placement? That would increase my prospects in becoming a researcher within biomedical engineering

    I even looked on university websites to see what research they conduct and at the University of Bath they carry out all of these areas of research and more. I then looked at the people who conduct this research where some of them had a degree in Chemical Engineering.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you already know you want to do biomed engineering then do that. Otherwise I'd imagine chemical would be closest. You will have to do a PhD later and can probably switch fields depending on your skills so I'd just pick what you're most interested in at this stage.
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.