Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I play the violin but it would be useful to play the piano if I want to teach the violin.
    Have you taken up the piano in your late teens and is it hard to in terms of practising, grades etc?

ReputationRep:
    If it is what you want to do and you can afford it, then yes, you should play the piano. As for teachers, can your Violin teacher recommend someone? Grades and exams are not necessary although they are great motivators.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nph)
    I already play the violin and I'm working towards Grade 8.
    All my music friends (from orchestra etc) play the piano and I was wondering whether I should take it up as it would be useful.
    I think I would really enjoy playing it and can play some easy pieces on my piano at home and can read the music, so I don't think it would be too hard to start.
    However I'm not sure whether I'll have time to practise and whether I should get lessons? I want to do Grades but it is hard to find a teacher.
    Why is this a decision that you think you need input from random strangers on the internet to make?

Do you want to play the piano?
    Do you have enough time to dedicate to it?
    Are you confident enough in your violin playing to feel that the decreased practice time won't have a negative effect?

You'll note that the common thread through those three questions is that you are the only person that can answer them.

So go and make your own decision for crying out loud.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.