Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR David Bowie Society watch

ReputationRep:
    New studio album announced for January 8th, his birthday. The album is called Blackstar, also the name of the lead single.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34638413

:cool:

The track was used for some TV show:

The theme that will be used for The Last Panthers will also be the title track for his upcoming 2016 release Blackstar which is said to take cues from his earlier krautrock influenced work.

According to The Times: “Blackstar may be the oddest work yet from [Bowie],
    Hopefully this is true, his Berlin era is my favourite.

There is already a Bowie scoiety but it's ten years old and not posted in since 2007, so I started a new thread.

ReputationRep:
    HE IS MY BAE. OMG. I am in love with him. I listen to Ziggy Stardust ALL.THE.TIME. It never gets old.

I loved his last album as well.

ReputationRep:
    Video for Blackstar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    HE IS MY BAE. OMG. I am in love with him. I listen to Ziggy Stardust ALL.THE.TIME. It never gets old.

OH MY GOD, SAME HERE. (just look at my FREAKING USERNAME)
    Join the club.
    I ADORE Bowie. The Rise And Fall of ZiggyStarDust is my favourite album of his.
    I love how different his songs are from ZiggyStarDust, to Life On Mars)
    Always will be my favourite artist

ReputationRep:
    Blackstar was a success then. It's the highest rated album in his career on Sputnik other than Ziggy (4.4), and the highest ever user score on Metacritic with 9.3. So many nice references in this album.

I thought people might like these, in this article Tony Visconti gives us some insight into his last months and tells us how five new tracks were written and a sequel to Blackstar was planned which was intended to be the last album - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...onths-20160113

Bowie had already finished Blackstar by November. But even before then, Visconti noticed the tone of some of the lyrics and told him, "You canny *******. You're writing a farewell album." Bowie simply laughed in response.

And I'll just leave this here - http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-bowie-7196837

"Some are straightforward cover versions with Kanye actually singing. On others he is rapping with his own lyrics over Bowie's music."
    "He is determined to carry on David's work as a musical innovator. He says that the torch has been passed to him."
    lol who does Kanye he think he is.

ReputationRep:
    Station to Station has to be my favourite album of his! i remember listening to it for the first time when entering my friends house (her dad was a sacred triangle fanatic, Bowie, Iggy pop and Lou Reed!) * I was that kid who used to have a strange liking to dads who seemed to be stuck in a era! haha

Stay Celestial!

ReputationRep:
    All aboard the Bowie bandwagon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    All aboard the Bowie bandwagon.

Do you have a favourite album?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Do you have a favourite album?
    Oh yeah, that one he did that time. :cool:

ReputationRep:

Still my bae :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Blackstar was a success then. It's the highest rated album in his career on Sputnik other than Ziggy (4.4), and the highest ever user score on Metacritic with 9.3. So many nice references in this album.

I thought people might like these, in this article Tony Visconti gives us some insight into his last months and tells us how five new tracks were written and a sequel to Blackstar was planned which was intended to be the last album - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...onths-20160113

And I'll just leave this here - http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-bowie-7196837

lol who does Kanye he think he is.
    I absolutely love Blackstar! It's better than his last album or anything he released in the 00's. In fact I am listening to it right now

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love Blackstar! It's better than his last album or anything he released in the 00's. In fact I am listening to it right now
    So many clever things about the album. The Blackstar name/reference to Elvis's song Black Star:

Every man has a black star
    A black star over his shoulder
    And when a man sees his black star
    He knows his time, his time has come
    The possible reference to cancer lesions or even the Cancer constellation:

Cancer was often considered the "Dark Sign", quaintly described as black and without eyes.
    Like in the music videos.

What is your favourite track?

ReputationRep:
    So many clever things about the album. The Blackstar name/reference to Elvis's song Black Star:

The possible reference to cancer lesions or even the Cancer constellation:

Like in the music videos.

What is your favourite track?
    He was a genius.

My fav track Is Lazarus. It's beautiful. Yours?

ReputationRep:
    He was a genius.

My fav track Is Lazarus. It's beautiful. Yours?
    I don't think there is a below 8/10 track on here but if I had to pick one, then the title track or the one in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ood-song-is-it

The quote

ReputationRep:
    Rare bit of humour from David (0:40-45)

ReputationRep:
    Lazarus is haunting, sad and amazing......................... ...only he could do a track like that when hes dying

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...villa-of-ormen

Good read for any Bowie fans.

If that Tumblr account is just a fan then it's one hell of a coincidence.

There might also be new music he intended to release posthumously.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen this already Wilfred Little?

Some of them are actually very good!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.