Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dilemma with pending maths GCSE but good AS results watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 13 awaiting to sit my maths GCSE re-sit in a weeks time having missing the C grade by a few marks. The rest of my GCSEs are ok (3A* 2A 3B and 1 C) I have just never been able to understand maths, which is so frustrating.

At AS I received BBC for English Lit, History and Art. The B's being one or two UMS off an A and C a few off a B. My school will predict me roughly AAB or ABB. I am also doing the EPQ and providing I get an A some of my unis may offer me BBB. I am doing two AS re-sits alongside my A2 but they are for the 'C' grades I got in one unit of History and same for English. Furthermore, Art shouldn't be a problem as I am working solidly this year and can add to last years coursework (can't re-sit Art exams) to push that grade up.

Issue is I am applying to universities that require AAB-BBB and some of which are in the Russell Group. Some universities haven't stated much in regards to the Maths GCSE but I am worried I will be straight out rejected due to this, despite having A* in the subject(s) I am applying for at GCSE and being a ums off or two at AS for an A. I also have relevant extra-curriculars but I know they look more for the academic aspect? ATM my PS is 75% Academic and 25% extra curric.
    My school comes under the contextual offer too.

I hoping to apply for English Lit/History at the following:
    Southampton English/History (ABB but BBB because of EPQ)
    Leicester Major English/Minor History (ABB)
    Uni of Sussex English/History (AAA-ABB) Maybe too unrealistic...
    Royal Holloway English/History (ABB)
    (Deciding on 5th) English

Do I stand a chance at all? I'm just annoyed that one grade in one subject could just right me off. Hoping to send in my application by next week/following week so any advice is appreciated. Apologies for the long essay here but i'm stuffed as I haven't come across anyone else in my situation.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I forgot to add that I am avoiding a Gap Year at all costs because I seriously can't afford one /:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studen19714)
    I am in Year 13 awaiting to sit my maths GCSE re-sit in a weeks time having missing the C grade by a few marks. The rest of my GCSEs are ok (3A* 2A 3B and 1 C) I have just never been able to understand maths, which is so frustrating.

At AS I received BBC for English Lit, History and Art. The B's being one or two UMS off an A and C a few off a B. My school will predict me roughly AAB or ABB. I am also doing the EPQ and providing I get an A some of my unis may offer me BBB. I am doing two AS re-sits alongside my A2 but they are for the 'C' grades I got in one unit of History and same for English. Furthermore, Art shouldn't be a problem as I am working solidly this year and can add to last years coursework (can't re-sit Art exams) to push that grade up.

Issue is I am applying to universities that require AAB-BBB and some of which are in the Russell Group. Some universities haven't stated much in regards to the Maths GCSE but I am worried I will be straight out rejected due to this, despite having A* in the subject(s) I am applying for at GCSE and being a ums off or two at AS for an A. I also have relevant extra-curriculars but I know they look more for the academic aspect? ATM my PS is 75% Academic and 25% extra curric.
    My school comes under the contextual offer too.

I hoping to apply for English Lit/History at the following:
    Southampton English/History (ABB but BBB because of EPQ)
    Leicester Major English/Minor History (ABB)
    Uni of Sussex English/History (AAA-ABB) Maybe too unrealistic...
    Royal Holloway English/History (ABB)
    (Deciding on 5th) English

Do I stand a chance at all? I'm just annoyed that one grade in one subject could just right me off. Hoping to send in my application by next week/following week so any advice is appreciated. Apologies for the long essay here but i'm stuffed as I haven't come across anyone else in my situation.
    Most universities will not accept you without GCSE Maths. I know of someone who got offers and is currently studying a History degree without GCSE grade C Maths. They were made 5 offers including 2 by Russell Group unis. What you are going to need to is be selective in where you apply. See my PM to you. Finally ignore the RG thing.It is a marketing ploy. There are unis outside RG every bit as good as those within including St Andrews Bath and Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Most universities will not accept you without GCSE Maths. I know of someone who got offers and is currently studying a History degree without GCSE grade C Maths. They were made 5 offers including 2 by Russell Group unis. What you are going to need to is be selective in where you apply. See my PM to you. Finally ignore the RG thing.It is a marketing ploy. There are unis outside RG every bit as good as those within including St Andrews Bath and Lancaster
    Ah thank you so much for the response! I will definitely look into applying more selectively and that's reassuring!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.