Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Modern Languages watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody done a modern languages course as a mature student without originally having A-Levels in languages! If so how did you do it and what information do you have about it?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
    Tom

ReputationRep:
    I started to learn French as a part time course at a uni nearby as I didnt feel i was gaining confidence learning off the internet. I didn't gain anything in the way of a qualification; i think it was something like 20 credits.
    Ive since decided to complete it as a degree and first opted for the open uni due to work and convenience, but recently starting to think id prefer to be in a brick uni.

What language are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the reply!

I would be interested in doing Spanish, I already have a good level in Spanish due to my partner be native Spanish speaking just no qualifications which is very annoying!

Thinking I am going to apply for a couple of unis which offer foundation courses with modern languages degrees!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tjb_95)

I would be interested in doing Spanish, I already have a good level in Spanish due to my partner be native Spanish speaking just no qualifications which is very annoying!

Thinking I am going to apply for a couple of unis which offer foundation courses with modern languages degrees!
    A lot of universities offer ab initio (beginners) Spanish. You don't need A levels for these. I know someone who went to UCL to study Russian after doing an Access to HE course, for example.

Some universities ask for evidence of language learning ability, e.g. through self-studying a GCSE (in any language, it need not be Spanish), or doing an online MOOC or Open University course. I don't think there are many modern language degrees with foundation years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjb_95)

Well if youve got a good grasp of the language already, youve shown youre capable of learning so thats a positive.

I remember being told once as long as i had any language as a qualification i could get onto a course i wanted to do. Even welsh which is so far from french 😂

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.