tjb_95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Has anybody done a modern languages course as a mature student without originally having A-Levels in languages! If so how did you do it and what information do you have about it?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Tom
EvilKaynevil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I started to learn French as a part time course at a uni nearby as I didnt feel i was gaining confidence learning off the internet. I didn't gain anything in the way of a qualification; i think it was something like 20 credits.
Ive since decided to complete it as a degree and first opted for the open uni due to work and convenience, but recently starting to think id prefer to be in a brick uni.

What language are you interested in?
tjb_95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey thanks for the reply!

I would be interested in doing Spanish, I already have a good level in Spanish due to my partner be native Spanish speaking just no qualifications which is very annoying!

Thinking I am going to apply for a couple of unis which offer foundation courses with modern languages degrees!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tjb_95)

I would be interested in doing Spanish, I already have a good level in Spanish due to my partner be native Spanish speaking just no qualifications which is very annoying!

Thinking I am going to apply for a couple of unis which offer foundation courses with modern languages degrees!
A lot of universities offer ab initio (beginners) Spanish. You don't need A levels for these. I know someone who went to UCL to study Russian after doing an Access to HE course, for example.

Some universities ask for evidence of language learning ability, e.g. through self-studying a GCSE (in any language, it need not be Spanish), or doing an online MOOC or Open University course. I don't think there are many modern language degrees with foundation years?
EvilKaynevil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tjb_95)

Well if youve got a good grasp of the language already, youve shown youre capable of learning so thats a positive.

I remember being told once as long as i had any language as a qualification i could get onto a course i wanted to do. Even welsh which is so far from french 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (135)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.81%
Not great so far... (273)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.58%

Watched Threads