Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I Sue My University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I finished my course in May 2015.

I launched an appeal, because in one of my modules the lecturer had changed the coursework specification less than 2 weeks before the deadline (where we had several other deadlines and did not notify anyone), and this appeal was successful.

My University then suggested after this successful appeal, that I return there to complete the module again, at which point I argued that this would make me unable to work a full time job, would cost me in accommodation costs etc, and that it would not be a fair solution.

At this point, it was agreed that the person in-charge of appeals and my course director, would then attempt to use a module grade from my 2nd year instead of my 3rd year module grade, to avoid the extra costs etc, and at that point I could be considered for a 2:1.

Although after 2 months, I have had no correspondence from either member of staff, and I am considering suing the university for negligence, as you can imagine this has caused me a lot of stress.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just phone them to find out what is happening? Have you graduated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david_94)
    Hi. I finished my course in May 2015.

I launched an appeal, because in one of my modules the lecturer had changed the coursework specification less than 2 weeks before the deadline (where we had several other deadlines and did not notify anyone), and this appeal was successful.

My University then suggested after this successful appeal, that I return there to complete the module again, at which point I argued that this would make me unable to work a full time job, would cost me in accommodation costs etc, and that it would not be a fair solution.

At this point, it was agreed that the person in-charge of appeals and my course director, would then attempt to use a module grade from my 2nd year instead of my 3rd year module grade, to avoid the extra costs etc, and at that point I could be considered for a 2:1.

Although after 2 months, I have had no correspondence from either member of staff, and I am considering suing the university for negligence, as you can imagine this has caused me a lot of stress.
    Have you persistently tried to meet up with them during this 2 months? And they ignored/refused/denied...Or did you sort of back down and then you looked up 2 mths later and realised...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Animagus)
    Have you persistently tried to meet up with them during this 2 months? And they ignored/refused/denied...Or did you sort of back down and then you looked up 2 mths later and realised...
    They said they would let me know when they have received a response from the relevant departments, I emailed the person in charge of appeals last Monday, and have yet to receive a reponse

ReputationRep:
    They said they would let me know when they have received a response from the relevant departments, I emailed the person in charge of appeals last Monday, and have yet to receive a reponse
    Sorry but you're gonna have to keep on them, and if you said last Monday when it's been two months, I can assume you haven't. Speaking from experience with these people, they will dawdle about you know. There are thousands of other people with their own issues at the University as well, and also, if it's negligence, you need to hammer them. I guess now you must play the dreadful waiting game and merry-go-round with these people. Or stomp in and demand an answer, not that I completely understand your issue, but this seems to be a standard approach.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but you're gonna have to keep on them, and if you said last Monday when it's been two months, I can assume you haven't. Speaking from experience with these people, they will dawdle about you know. There are thousands of other people with their own issues at the University as well, and also, if it's negligence, you need to hammer them. I guess now you must play the dreadful waiting game and merry-go-round with these people. Or stomp in and demand an answer, not that I completely understand your issue, but this seems to be a standard approach.
    My issue is it has been about 5 months now since I launched the appeal, I'm still waiting for my degree classification to be changed from a 2:2 to a 2:1, and their negligence is meaning that I can't apply to a large amount of graduate schemes and other jobs..

ReputationRep:
    My issue is it has been about 5 months now since I launched the appeal, I'm still waiting for my degree classification to be changed from a 2:2 to a 2:1, and their negligence is meaning that I can't apply to a large amount of graduate schemes and other jobs..
    Oh so you're waiting for news on whether or not you have to repeat the module? And if you don't get anything back, you are preparing to sue for...the added costs upon repeating, though you already finished? So they are trying to make you retake a class due to a professor's mistake?

Is that it?

And I presume you currently are not attending/haven't enrolled?

ReputationRep:
    If it were me, and if everything you've said in this thread is accurate, I'd be on the phone to them daily. It does not take months to sort an issue like this out, but you haven't been proactive in pushing for a resolution.

You didn't answer my earlier question - have you actually graduated?

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you're waiting for news on whether or not you have to repeat the module? And if you don't get anything back, you are preparing to sue for...the added costs upon repeating, though you already finished? So they are trying to make you retake a class due to a professor's mistake?

Is that it?

And I presume you currently are not attending/haven't enrolled?
    Exactly yes, and it's been frustrating because I should be able to rely on people in those positions doing their jobs, without having to constantly remind them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    If it were me, and if everything you've said in this thread is accurate, I'd be on the phone to them daily. It does not take months to sort an issue like this out, but you haven't been proactive in pushing for a resolution.

You didn't answer my earlier question - have you actually graduated?
    Sorry, didn't catch it for some reason. I called again today, but I have gotten quite far with job interviews that have only required a 2:2, and because I have been progressing with those applications it had slipped to the back of my mind, though I had been thinking when are they going to get back to me.

The reason I might sue, is because of the emotional stress of it all, after 4/5 months of waiting, and looking for jobs that nearly all say 2:1 as an entry requirement, it has been very frustrating that a lecturers mistake which they have admitted liability for, has had such a profound impact on my life.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly yes, and it's been frustrating because I should be able to rely on people in those positions doing their jobs, without having to constantly remind them.
    That is true but let's say they're doing their jobs, then there is probably a sort of waiting list to get to your issue. However, they should get on this right away if you are not at fault =\ I guess you can sue but if you're not attending then you're not paying...so what would you sue for? Are you attending currently? If so, then yes sue them for having to spend money when you weren't at fault, yet you still have to pay. Also get the proof/hard copy that they agreed to the appeal that you do not have to retake the module. I had a similar issue and contemplated suing if I owed the money but it got cleared up. I did however have to sit out a whole term because of it. If it affects me in the long run I will sue.

ReputationRep:
    That is true but let's say they're doing their jobs, then there is probably a sort of waiting list to get to your issue. However, they should get on this right away if you are not at fault =\ I guess you can sue but if you're not attending then you're not paying...so what would you sue for? Are you attending currently? If so, then yes sue them for having to spend money when you weren't at fault, yet you still have to pay. Also get the proof/hard copy that they agreed to the appeal that you do not have to retake the module. I had a similar issue and contemplated suing if I owed the money but it got cleared up. I did however have to sit out a whole term because of it. If it affects me in the long run I will sue.
    For the fact that such a reckless mistake was made, which was negligent, and significantly impacted my performance in my final exams, hindered my job search process by restricting the jobs in which I can apply for, and for having a severe physiological impact on myself, which has had a profound impact on my life for the last 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    For the fact that such a reckless mistake was made, which was negligent, and significantly impacted my performance in my final exams, hindered my job search process by restricting the jobs in which I can apply for, and for having a severe physiological impact on myself, which has had a profound impact on my life for the last 6 months.
    Go for it. Just get your paper trail.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.