Turn on thread page Beta

Tell me everything about Plymouth watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

So, I have an interview for a job at Plymouth University in the next few weeks.
    I have never been there, and I would like to hear from you all how it really is to live there.

I currently work in central London and live in zone 6. That's a good 1h20m commute, and no money left at the end of the month. I hate this city by now and I applied to a few jobs across UK.
    Obviously I don't want to end up in a much worse place though...

My girlfriend is currently in Germany finishing her BA studies. She wants to join me in the UK after that, for a Master degree. She would apply to Plymouth Uni, or at worst commute to Exeter.

Anyway... Throw your knowledge at me

ReputationRep:
    What would you like to know?

ReputationRep:
    Hi navarre.
    Well, I heard very mixed reviews of the city.
    I am interested in finding out whether some of the negative rumours are true or not.
    Examples: great poverty and deprivation well visible, numerous no-go neighbourhoods, hard drugs usage widespread, weekend nights out blighted by continuous drunken fights, xenophobia and homophobia, no outlets for alternative or just contemporary culture (as in Chav dominated).
    Please don't assume I share these views. I am here to gather info.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Well, it's in the arse end of nowhere.

There are certain areas which are dodgy. But you get that in every city I guess. I live right on the edge of the city centre and used to go for a run in the early hours of Sunday morning. (when it was light enough) It wasn't that usual to run past police cars. Oh, and then there was the time when if I'd gone out an hour earlier, I'd have witnessed a fatal stabbing...

As for the drugs stuff - there have been reports on and off over the years of drugs. Because it's a port city, (you can easily reach France, etc) it's really easy to import drugs from overseas and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WanderingDude)
    Hi navarre.
    Well, I heard very mixed reviews of the city.
    I am interested in finding out whether some of the negative rumours are true or not.
    Examples: great poverty and deprivation well visible, numerous no-go neighbourhoods, hard drugs usage widespread, weekend nights out blighted by continuous drunken fights, xenophobia and homophobia, no outlets for alternative or just contemporary culture (as in Chav dominated).
    Please don't assume I share these views. I am here to gather info.
    All what you have said it partly true, but not in the city center. The west of Plymouth towards Cornwall is what you have just described. On campus and in the city center, none of the negatives you have stated are true.

For example, London, great city. However, south east London not so much.

ReputationRep:
    It is a hole. I moved here in 2009 and it has been BY FAR the worst decision I have ever made. I find the rumours you mentioned to be true, and I don't think Plymothians are very nice people overall.

Rent is cheap though. I don't live in the best neighbourhood although it's not as rough as you'd expect it to be - it used to have a bit of a reputation, I think it must have changed.. I pay £400 a month rent for a 1 bed apartment with the best sea view, a good 20 min walk to the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alba2013)
    It is a hole. I moved here in 2009 and it has been BY FAR the worst decision I have ever made. I find the rumours you mentioned to be true, and I don't think Plymothians are very nice people overall.

Rent is cheap though. I don't live in the best neighbourhood although it's not as rough as you'd expect it to be - it used to have a bit of a reputation, I think it must have changed.. I pay £400 a month rent for a 1 bed apartment with the best sea view, a good 20 min walk to the city centre.
    You live near devonport. That's why you find it an a hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    You live near devonport. That's why you find it an a hole.
    Hmm, no. I live in Stonehouse next to the new glass flats.

ReputationRep:
    Went to plymouth for a rugby match. The other team looked like they were on drugs and after the match when we shook hands one of them swore at me Definitely didn't have a good first impression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Went to plymouth for a rugby match. The other team looked like they were on drugs and after the match when we shook hands one of them swore at me Definitely didn't have a good first impression
    That is the same area to be honest. I feel like areas west of city center has all the negative traits whereas everywhere else it's mostly fine.

City center is definitely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    That is the same area to be honest. I feel like areas west of city center has all the negative traits whereas everywhere else it's mostly fine.

City center is definitely fine.
    Yeah, everywhere has its ditches and mansions. I know that parts of it will be nice but I have to say it was a massive turn off, one of the reasons I didn't apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Yeah, everywhere has its ditches and mansions. I know that parts of it will be nice but I have to say it was a massive turn off, one of the reasons I didn't apply there.
    To be honest, like I said the city center is where it's all good. So being a student in Plymouth is perfectly fine. Everything you need is in city center anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you're coming from London and still looking for city life, then Plymouth may be a bit disappointing. If, however, you're interested in wide open spaces, walks in the countryside or on some of Britain's most beautiful beaches etc. then Plymouth serves as a fantastic launch pad into the rest of Devon and Cornwall.
    Plymouth itself was battered by the Luftwaffe during the 40s and the place never really got the (proper) regeneration it deserved. As a result, much of the centre of town is a bit bland (that 60s town-planning-on-the-cheap vibe) and, due to the economic state of the region, it is also dotted with empty shops.
    The high street and new(ish)ly built shopping centre will serve you well though, you can get whatever you need there, but it's the Barbican that has most of the independent shops and restaurants (this part of town didn't get bombed so it still has some character).

As far as poverty is concerned, yeah, sure, there are a good number of visibly less fortunate people; a lot of them work hard to make ends meet while some of them are a bit 'Benefits Street' (there is no disrespect intended in this comment, btw). It's the same as anywhere really.
    No-go neighbourhoods: pfft, dunno really. As a Londoner did you ever have cause to go to Lewisham or Hackney? There may well be (very watered down) versions in Plymouth, but my experience is of the centre and immediate surrounds. I certainly have never, ever seen gangs of thugs walking about.
    Hard drugs: yes. It goes on. I have personally witness drug deals. Widespread though? No way (imo)
    Night life etc. You have to remember there is a huge amount of students in Plymouth, so many, in fact, that the sensibilities they bring with them influences the places they frequent. Yes, absolutely there are places (Union Street) where people are known to fight. Just don't go there.

I know Plymouth fairly well so if you want to know anything more, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Far rougher than anywhere up north. Would not recommend at all.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Alba2013)
    Hmm, no. I live in Stonehouse next to the new glass flats.
    Yeah, Stonehouse is a tad dodgy, according to my parents. I live between there and the city centre. However, one thing I do love, is that most places are within walking distance for me.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.