Turn on thread page Beta

how long for lungs to go back to normal after cigarette watch

Hi
    So I am essentially a non smoker. I am 19 and did try smoking for the very first time this summer on holiday with friends. For the whole week I had about 15. The whole time, not per day.

I was really good and didn't smoke since then, apart from yesterday i had one with my really close friend who is a smoker. I hadn't been drinking last night. As soon as I inhaled for the first time I felt instantly dizzy. It literally hit me like a tonne of bricks. I finished the fag and regretted ever taking it to be honest. i felt sick for about 2 minutes after that then things were normal. That night I felt nauseous and eventually decided to force myself to throw up because I couldn't stand the feeling. i am not saying the cigarette was definitely linked to the nausea but it could have been?

Anyway, my main point is that this morning i woke up feeling quite breathless. i am asthmatic anyway so I know it is extra bad. I was wondering how long it takes for this breathlessness to go away.

please don't give me lectures about nonsmoking, I am the kind of person who has to go through a bad experience to learn a lesson and stop things. On holiday when i smoked, I did have a few a night but they seemed to have zero effect on my breathing. i think this is why i felt so sure about having one yesterday because I thought I would feel fine. So I can say I won't be touching a cigarette again but how long before I feel normal. If I can be reassured that my lungs are not permanently damaged then I will feel better.

ReputationRep:
    You smoked 15 ****, of course your lungs aren't permanently damaged, don't worry about it. In fact I doubt there's any sort of "damage" at all, just the asthma causing your breathing struggles.

ReputationRep:
    I often make myself sick from things simply by imagining that they made me sick when in fact I'm generally fine, for example, imagine the side of your face drooping, I thought I was having a stroke for two weeks...

I am like you - a hypochondriac. it's hard being one i will admit.

ReputationRep:
    No significant damage has been done. If you smoke for more than a year then you still start to go down hill. Make sure this is your last time playing with ciggies, this wont lead to any harm but anything else just contributes to a bigger problem.

ReputationRep:
    lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.