how long for lungs to go back to normal after cigarette Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi
So I am essentially a non smoker. I am 19 and did try smoking for the very first time this summer on holiday with friends. For the whole week I had about 15. The whole time, not per day.

I was really good and didn't smoke since then, apart from yesterday i had one with my really close friend who is a smoker. I hadn't been drinking last night. As soon as I inhaled for the first time I felt instantly dizzy. It literally hit me like a tonne of bricks. I finished the fag and regretted ever taking it to be honest. i felt sick for about 2 minutes after that then things were normal. That night I felt nauseous and eventually decided to force myself to throw up because I couldn't stand the feeling. i am not saying the cigarette was definitely linked to the nausea but it could have been?

Anyway, my main point is that this morning i woke up feeling quite breathless. i am asthmatic anyway so I know it is extra bad. I was wondering how long it takes for this breathlessness to go away.

please don't give me lectures about nonsmoking, I am the kind of person who has to go through a bad experience to learn a lesson and stop things. On holiday when i smoked, I did have a few a night but they seemed to have zero effect on my breathing. i think this is why i felt so sure about having one yesterday because I thought I would feel fine. So I can say I won't be touching a cigarette again but how long before I feel normal. If I can be reassured that my lungs are not permanently damaged then I will feel better.
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You smoked 15 ****, of course your lungs aren't permanently damaged, don't worry about it. In fact I doubt there's any sort of "damage" at all, just the asthma causing your breathing struggles.
John55
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I often make myself sick from things simply by imagining that they made me sick when in fact I'm generally fine, for example, imagine the side of your face drooping, I thought I was having a stroke for two weeks...
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am like you - a hypochondriac. it's hard being one i will admit.
member1753327
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No significant damage has been done. If you smoke for more than a year then you still start to go down hill. Make sure this is your last time playing with ciggies, this wont lead to any harm but anything else just contributes to a bigger problem.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol
Truleesincere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You'll do more long-term damage to yourself with your anxiety and emotional routine than what you've done with cigarettes. If you are concerned, consult with a doctor. You'll be able to have your fears resolved.
Be mindful about letting yourself become anxious enough to "wonder" and dwell on your health. You're contributing to your emotional pattern and letting them root themselves into who you are. In the end, it will affect everything from your daily performances to relationships and to how you think of yourself. There are studies completed to show the use of placebos and CBT in even heavy hypochondriacs help improve their daily lives. But that takes a lot of work.
So basically - see your doctor for your asthma concerns. Acknowledge you've not permanently damaged your lungs from a curious bout of life. Stay mindful of your thoughts and be kind to yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (12)
8.39%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (16)
11.19%
No, but maybe I will look into it (39)
27.27%
No and I wouldn't consider it (76)
53.15%

Watched Threads