The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I'm really struggling with the UKCAT. I've been using Medify for nearly a month and just not seeing that much improvement. On Mock 1 I got avg 710 which I was really pleased about but when I done Mock 2 I went down to 645. My test is a week on Wednesday and I don't know if I'm ready. Has anyone done better on the real test than on Medify?? Any help really appreciated.

Also, is medic portal question bank worth investing in for the next week? Even though I've not finished Medify questions but only have SJ and mock 3 to go.
Original post by MoshBosh
Nope, you don't even get a score at the end! But, you can use those 30 minutes to write down formulas for QR and familiarise yourself with the calculator :smile:

Wow! That sounds like a good idea, I'm sitting the test on Tuesday, have you sat yours already?
Original post by Matcha123
Wow! That sounds like a good idea, I'm sitting the test on Tuesday, have you sat yours already?

Not yet, 10 days to go for me!
Original post by AliceLewis
Hi there, sorry this is not a UKCAT related question but I saw you are an adviser and thought if you could help me with a query. I am starting an MPhil in Genomics this October in Cambridge but I am applying also for graduate entry for Medicine. I just realised that my course is one year long but grad medical courses start in September so I am now totally confused because it seems like I cannot start it? I am entirely sudden shocked right now, do you know any info on that matter? Thanks!

So if I'm understanding you correctly, your course at Cambridge will finish in October of next year?
Original post by Matcha123
Wait, so it isn't compulsory to do the decision making section?

You could say it isn't compulsory to do any of the sections...
But,i understand what you mean, and no it isn't. You don't get a score for it, the universities you apply to don't get a score for it. It is a bit irrelevant to us this year. But next year it's likely to be an actual section which you will get a score on.
Original post by usycool1
So if I'm understanding you correctly, your course at Cambridge will finish in October of next year?

Hi I think it will finish in September but does not specify dates on the website, I need to contact them I guess... It starts this October (1st) and says it lasts 3 semesters ie one year so probably until next September I imagine... It got me a bit worried and thought I might ask someone here...
Original post by raniafern
Meow? :confused:
Is this on Medify? Perhaps you'll have to go to the previous Q and return to this one. Or just reload the whole thing, you know cancel and restart.

Haha it was on the ukcat website, mock B to be precise, it was so weird and I couldn't do the questions which was annoying, it's probably just my laptop then :colondollar:
Original post by TianaEsther
Haha it was on the ukcat website, mock B to be precise, it was so weird and I couldn't do the questions which was annoying, it's probably just my laptop then :colondollar:

Yup, probably.
Original post by Gogregg
You could say it isn't compulsory to do any of the sections...
But,i understand what you mean, and no it isn't. You don't get a score for it, the universities you apply to don't get a score for it. It is a bit irrelevant to us this year. But next year it's likely to be an actual section which you will get a score on.

:colonhash: Aw, come on now :lol:
Original post by AliceLewis
Hi I think it will finish in September but does not specify dates on the website, I need to contact them I guess... It starts this October (1st) and says it lasts 3 semesters ie one year so probably until next September I imagine... It got me a bit worried and thought I might ask someone here...

Hey, yeah I think you'd do best to email up and ask. :smile:
Original post by TianaEsther
Starting to become increasingly worried because my exam is on Monday and I can't seem to get out of my 600-630 range on mocks :frown:

good luck I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: mines tuesday!
Original post by raniafern
:colonhash: Aw, come on now :lol:

Well, I'm not wrong, am I? :colondollar:
I'm seeing a lot of similar questions around so I thought I'd repost this thing that I wrote after I did my UKCAT. Hopefully it answers some questions that people have!

Original post by Lewishier
Hi guys! I did my UKCAT today and I'm overjoyed with my result so I thought I'd share some tips.

Verbal:
Harder than I was expecting (I'm not sure if I doubted myself more than usual or what but I was very time pressured) and I ended up flagging about 5 questions when I usually flag 1 or 2. The passages were about the size of the regular box in practice tests. I had to scroll down for one passage and it only had about a sentence below that. For me, it was about 70% inference, 30% true-false. Difficulty wise, I'd say it was on par with the official tests.

Quantitative:
I was massively time pressured here in comparison to practice tests. I guessed 3 questions because I just didn't have the time. (although the time pressure was my own fault - I stubbornly kept trying to answer a difficult question). This meant that I didn't have time to go back and check my flagged questions because I just wanted to finish the section. The calculator is stable (unlike the official ones) but does disappear if you click off it (but it saves the value for when you next open it). The keyboard keypad was invaluable. It saved so much time but make sure the Num Lock is on! Main issues here were my own stubbornness and one set of about 4 multi-step questions. Difficulty was about Kaplan and Medify standard (I thought it was harder than the official tests though).

Abstract:
Medify, Kaplan and 1000Q seriously over-prepared me. I sat there for a few of them thinking the rule couldn't be so easy. Honestly, it was so much easier than any mock I did. Difficulty, I'd say it was easier than any practice questions I did.

Situational Judgement:
I didn't see how it could be any different to normal and it really wasn't. It was very similar to all the practice tests available. One thing that I noticed was that I didn't get many of the obvious ones (eg: patient asks med student about their diagnosis. how appropriate is diagnosing the patient and telling them the treatments available). They were the slightly ethical ones where you feel a little unsure of yourself.

Other Notes:
My exam centre gave me three laminated sheets with a thin permanent marker. I also had headphones and ear plugs. They put me in a separate room (with a ticky clock I might add) but I had very few distractions.
I used Decision Making as a complete rest. I answered no questions and went to the bathroom and calmed down. It was my second section (after verbal) so I also used it to test out the keypad and calculator (I practiced on a laptop so I wasn't very good with the keypad).

Good luck everyone!
Also, feel free to ask any questions about the UKCAT or preparing for it.
For anyone wanting to know what the VR will look like in the exam, please check out the UKCAT app, the practice questions are very similar to what people have been saying.
For anyone wanting to know what the VR will look like in the exam, please check out the UKCAT app, the practice questions are very similar to what people have been saying (ie long statements, hard to inference questions and VERY long passages)
Original post by Gogregg
Well, I'm not wrong, am I? :colondollar:

But you aren't right either. :colondollar:
Original post by jasminegreenn
Hey, I was averaging 650-670 in my medify mocks and surprisingly got 750 avg in my real thing! So I wouldn't worry about it as most people seem to improve during the actual test x

How did u do in the offical mocks, i avg 650 on medify but did horrivle in mock A!
My test is scheduled for Thursday the 18th, but I've just done my second medify mock (2+3) and again scored around 600 average, which really isn't good enough. I'm thinking to reschedule to a slot for the 7th of September (earliest available) as I don't start back at uni until the 23rd.

Is this the right choice? or will pushing hard until the 18th mean I could improve enough? I want 685 minimum.

Any advice would be great!
can someone please let me know what the exam room is like for taking the ukcat and if there are any disturbances
Original post by joshehbrown94
My test is scheduled for Thursday the 18th, but I've just done my second medify mock (2+3) and again scored around 600 average, which really isn't good enough. I'm thinking to reschedule to a slot for the 7th of September (earliest available) as I don't start back at uni until the 23rd.

Is this the right choice? or will pushing hard until the 18th mean I could improve enough? I want 685 minimum.

Any advice would be great!

Hi joshehbrown94

Ultimately this has to be your decision. However, the bottom line is that the UCKAT requires a lot of practice and the more you can do before your test, the better you will get.

If by rescheduling the date of your test you are certain that you can dedicate a few hours per day to practising, then it is certainly worth considering.

You might be interested in reading this blog, which is all about the amount of preparation required to do well in your UKCAT.

Is there any particular area that you are struggling with? Have you done a lot of preparation already?

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending