The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by future_doctor_
honestly I think I just got unlucky on the day tbh:frown:
my timing was right on the dot but medify AR was A LOT EASIER. Honestly for everyone doing AR try and find harder versions or use UKCAT website because medify will put you in a false sense of security

Personally i found the Medify AR harder by far :colonhash:

Original post by future_doctor_
loooool thank you :smile:
do you think I should bother applying to QMUL or not?

Look at their scoring and decide for yourself :smile:
from what I've heard, QMUL aren't particularly UKCAT heavy, so your UKCAT should definitely be good enough :h:

Original post by saharahasnolife
Hi,

I did my UKCAT and I got a 733 average which I am quite pleased with. However, I did get 590 on the verbal reasoning section. Does this cause me any disadvantage when applying to medicine at any universities? Do any universities look at the section scores separately?

I want to apply to King's College London, do you think an average of 733 (with a 590 in VR) is okay for me to do that?

First of all, congratulations on your score! It's amazing! Most universities don't really care about the individual scores, but only really about the total score, and even for the universities that do care (Plymouth, can't think of any others right now), your VR will still be good enough
Someone please help. Just did the mini mocks from Medify and across all of them I got an average of 600. My test is on the 19th and I feel like I don't know nothing even though I have been practising for the UKCAT pretty much for 2 months now. The only other choice I have is to reschedule for the 24th but I don't feel like that will make a difference plus I have so much school work to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UKCATrocks
Mine was actually harder than the 1000Q book!

Omg dunno what to do :frown:
Original post by UKCATrocks
Mine was actually harder than the 1000Q book!

can i ask the reason why its harder? the only issue i have is with the passages that require a full understanding and alot of inference where u cant just scan, is there a lot of this?
Original post by alanaro
Firstly, thank you ever so much for reading this. I sat the UKCAT earlier today and got the following:

VR: 680
QR: 850
AR: 670
SJ: Band 1
Average: 733

How competitive a score is this in relation to others and what universities would most favour it? Also how much do universities look at the situational judgement?

Thanks again...

Hey i have been trying to preapre for the worst for VR as everyone is saying but can i ask WHY people are finding it hard? your score is very good in it so was wondering if you thought it was ridiculous and why people are finding it so hard as its already my weak spot so worries me
Original post by natalia.medicine
Someone please help. Just did the mini mocks from Medify and across all of them I got an average of 600. My test is on the 19th and I feel like I don't know nothing even though I have been practising for the UKCAT pretty much for 2 months now. The only other choice I have is to reschedule for the 24th but I don't feel like that will make a difference plus I have so much school work to do.

First off relax don't let the stress get to you. If you think the extra time will help you collect yourself and remain composed then I'd recommend for you to reschedule. Just for reference a friend of mine got into Bart's and the London with a UKCAT of 2430, but bear in mind these practice tests are often harder than the actual test so do cut yourself some slack.

Remember this whole thing is still in your hands, so it's better to take it when you're ready than to do it and kick yourself afterwards.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Hazard82
First off relax don't let the stress get to you. If you think the extra time will help you collect yourself and remain composed then I'd recommend for you to reschedule. Just for reference a friend of mine got into Bart's and the London with a UKCAT of 2430, but bear in mind these practice tests are often harder than the actual test so do cut yourself some slack.

Remember this whole thing is still in your hands, so it's better to take it when you're ready than to do it and kick yourself afterwards.

Thank you very much. :smile: Have you taken the UKCAT. If you did, how did you do in the mocks compared to the real thing? (You don't have to answer if you don't want to though).

I got 600 on the mini-mocks too and felt quite upset and disappointed by it. But three days later and I just got 706.7 in the first full Medify Mock. Honestly, just highlight the things that brought it so low and then work on them. Just stay calm and perevere and I promise you'll be fine!
Good luck everyone for tomorrow:biggrin:
Reply 2529
Hi, has anyone written the UKCAT this year? I am writing mine in a few weeks and still don't know what to expect though I have read the information on the UKCAT website.
Title ^

Also do you get a handheld calculator or do you only have the online calculator as I saw some threads form years ago where they got handheld calculators as well.
Original post by Hazard82

That's amazing! Barts is one of my main choices... Do you know how many a level/ ib subjects your friend took?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone!!!!:smile:

Hope all the hard work pays off.
Is it true that medify is easier than the real thing for AR?
How does the UKCAT compare to official online practice tests?

Also do you get a handheld calculator or do you only have the online calculator as I saw some threads form years ago where they got handheld calculators as well.
I havent sat it yet btu you definitely NEED to use medify.com. That's a really good website that people on here keep talking about. It's set up really similarlry to the real exam so you can get a good feel for it. There is also the 1000Q book that people say is good and I thought it was decent but a bit difficult tbh. And also consider checking out completemedguide.com which has good tips in general and talks about how to revise. The official ukcat stuff I personally thought was good (since its official lol...) but the more stuff the better.

I'm trying to do 1 practice test every few days and I feel i know enough about what to expect now. Butas it gets closer to the exam I'll prob start stressing more :redface:
Original post by Chutiya
That's amazing! Barts is one of my main choices... Do you know how many a level/ ib subjects your friend took?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit unrelated but do you know what your username means?
Reply 2537
Original post by emmaK98
I havent sat it yet btu you definitely NEED to use medify.com. That's a really good website that people on here keep talking about. It's set up really similarlry to the real exam so you can get a good feel for it. There is also the 1000Q book that people say is good and I thought it was decent but a bit difficult tbh. And also consider checking out completemedguide.com which has good tips in general and talks about how to revise. The official ukcat stuff I personally thought was good (since its official lol...) but the more stuff the better.

I'm trying to do 1 practice test every few days and I feel i know enough about what to expect now. Butas it gets closer to the exam I'll prob start stressing more :redface:

thanks, I would look into it:smile:

Personally I found Medify to be somewhat harder than the actual thing, since it tended to have a lot more relationships.
That may just be me though :redface:
Thank you very much. :smile: Have you taken the UKCAT. If you did, how did you do in the mocks compared to the real thing? (You don't have to answer if you don't want to though).

I remember in my mocks I was getting lowish scores in VR and AR can't remember exactly but it was around 2750 total (687.5 average) and a high Band 2. In the real thing I got a 700 average Band 2. I was really nervous about the UKCAT just like most people, but I found if I kept a cool head I made better decisions on which questions to flag and which questions to leave behind for the end. A few nerves is ok but if you're all over the place that won't help - same principle applies for interviews especially MMIs.

I would say the AR is the exam is slightly harder than the Medify questions but don't that phase you. Stick to a system you know and if that doesn't work flag it then move on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending