The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what the hotkey is to clear the calculator when doing the ukcat?

For the practice test it's the escape key, and the backspace key does nothing.
However, according to the following, it's the backspace key: https://twitter.com/ukcatest/status/502466449055576064
Original post by studentsixth
In the actual exam I'd say a total score of like 45, much lower than Medify and Kaplan's 51. I think they're much more lenient in the actual test.

Thanks, just to clarify, is it around 45 completely correct answers or does it include partially correct answers too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fred5134
Does anyone know what the hotkey is to clear the calculator when doing the ukcat?

For the practice test it's the escape key, and the backspace key does nothing.
However, according to the following, it's the backspace key: https://twitter.com/ukcatest/status/502466449055576064

The backspace will clear the screen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
Thanks, just to clarify, is it around 45 completely correct answers or does it include partially correct answers too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Including partial
Original post by Squishy•
sorry hot shot would u like me to kiss your ass while i'm at it?

Don't come asking a stranger for help without giving them a bit of courtesy. I have no obligation to help you.

In fact I really do wish you well on the test (you'll need it) and remember politeness is key for the situational judgement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3125
is it only me that finds the isc 1000 ukcat really hard :/. does anyone know if the book is a fair representation of the actual test??
Original post by PND98
is it only me that finds the isc 1000 ukcat really hard :/. does anyone know if the book is a fair representation of the actual test??

I wouldn't use the book, it is way harder than the actual test. Medify/ Kaplan are the most accurate representation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoshBosh
I wouldn't use the book, it is way harder than the actual test. Medify/ Kaplan are the most accurate representation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you go through the mastery kaplan book?
Reply 3128
Has anybody got any advice on how to tackle quantitive reasoning and abstract reasoning? I am struggling with time management for both these sections and am not sure what would be the best way to approach these sections to achieve as many marks as I possibly could.
For VR comprehension questions is it better to skim the text once and then mostly guess the hard ones and do the easy ones. Because I've just started doing this style (I finished true false can't tell) and it takes me like 3-4 minutes per passage because I'm trying to fully check every single statement like 😬 help me pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3130
Original post by MoshBosh

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow that was a waste of time haha. Thank you for your reply. The book was really really hard. I was properly panicking cause I was struggling to do a lot of the questions and only 6 more days until my test. i'm just gonna stick to medify haha
Original post by michaela__
For VR comprehension questions is it better to skim the text once and then mostly guess the hard ones and do the easy ones. Because I've just started doing this style (I finished true false can't tell) and it takes me like 3-4 minutes per passage because I'm trying to fully check every single statement like 😬 help me pls

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I did was I just looked for key words/ phrases from the questions. This isn't quite as effective when it's a really open ended question but it worked for 90% of them.

Whatever works best for you is most important though 🙂
Original post by Jitesh

Nope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my UKCAT exam a few days ago, and got the following*
VR: 600 - lol what
QR: 850
AR:700
Band 1
Average of 716.7

The resources I used were the Medify online bank for about a month (very relaxed - 20 min to an hour a day) and the 1000q book for a few days.

I found Medify to be an excellent resource, and probably the best out there at the moment. The VR in the exam was harder than any practise i had done, mostly because the questions and options were very long and there weren't many key words etc. The QR was a lot easier than any practice, and my advice for AR is to revise the different types of questions, not just the main stream type 1 questions. I used Medify as my main resource, and I think this was one of the only down falls of the resource, as most of the questions were based on type 1.

Any questions, please ask :smile:

Please suggest any universities that you think I would be a good candidate for. I obtained AAB at a level, both the As in chemistry and biology, and have a first class degree. Primarily looking for graduate courses, but also open to undergrad courses if my UKCAT isn't high enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NAP1029
What I did was I just looked for key words/ phrases from the questions. This isn't quite as effective when it's a really open ended question but it worked for 90% of them.

Whatever works best for you is most important though 🙂

Thank you so much I'll try it tomorrow ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
My exam is in a month and I've already started revising for it. I'm focusing on verbal reasoning more this year as it was significantly weaker than my QR and AR scores (thank God they scrapped DA as well). I was just wondering though, I have Kaplan's UKCAT book (2015 edition) and I've been using their methods and I've done the questions in their book, and I did pretty well in them. I recently bought the 600Q and 1000Q isc book and I've been doing their VR questions, and I've been scoring 4/8 mainly, sometimes 5/8. It's a bit annoying because I've actually had quite a lot of practice with VR now and I'm not seeing SIGNIFICANT improvements, you know? So I was just wondering how your scores in the books compared to your actual score in the exam? Is 4/8 very bad, or is it just that the isc book questions are harder?
Original post by NAP1029
I found some were, some weren't but then there are three variations of the exam that everyone gets so could be different for other people

ahhh okay, thanks a lot :-) :-)
Original post by weemac
Has anybody got any advice on how to tackle quantitive reasoning and abstract reasoning? I am struggling with time management for both these sections and am not sure what would be the best way to approach these sections to achieve as many marks as I possibly could.

hey,
For abstract reasoning, I know it doesn't help much but you have to practice noticing the patterns, and the only way to do that is to try as many questions as you can. I found it really hard to focus on the questions as well as the time at the same time at first, so maybe try to get better at noticing patterns before you try timed questions. The patterns usually include mirroring, odd and even number of shapes, sometimes shading, links between shapes, position of shapes etc, so if you try untimed questions you could go through a list and try to see which pattern fits... it will get much easier as you practice :-)
As for quantitative reasoning, you'll notice certain topics keep coming up - you could go to bitesize (as the qs are meant to be GCSE level) and practice them (e.g. percentage changes, decrease increase reverse, times, charts etc.) so that you spend as little time as possible on figuring out the method you have to use.
also, I know this has been said loads of times on here, but if there's a long question, make a good guess, flag and move on because you might find easier questions ahead.

hope that helps and good luck!! :-)

p.s for AR, one thing you can try is to look at the two boxes in a set with the least number of shapes in it and try to see something that links them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Squishy•
sorry hot shot would u like me to kiss your ass while i'm at it?

In all fairness, rather than asking him, a quick search on google for 'Kaplan' would've probably been a better option (saves you having to wait a good half hour for a response too) + give you more information .
Original post by Jitesh

VR and QR are really similar to the Kaplan books. AR is far easier and So was SJT (although I certainly didn't think this during the exam!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending