The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaela__
Me too but in the back of mind I know that if I don't put 100% into it now I'll only regret it. Just think if you get in this year no more UKCAT ever again! What time is yours on Thursday just so I can make sure to message you or whatever since ours is on the same day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sure you will both be great!!
Original post by ASTK98
Good point haha but I just feel like at this point we're not going to improve *much* more tbh. It's at 11:30am I believe, and yea let me know how you did!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also want to do it now but feel the same and know I could have done more. Just go ALL OUT until Thursday and hopefully you will do amazing. If you finish Medify maybe get Kaplan because I am hoping to finish medify by Tuesday, then do Kaplan and then do UKCAT Ninja and then do Kaplan Book. I have heard Kaplan is pretty good.

Lastly: My friends keep telling me so just to let you know, make sure you are doing timed practices on Medify. It really helps.
Original post by .......Jeff458
I'm sure you will be great.

Definitely! I will make Dua for you tonight :smile: Pls make for me too but I will make dua that you smash your target score!!! :smile: :smile:

I actually am thinking about Oxford but really don't know as I haven't touched my Advanced Higher stuff at all due to UKCAT. Oxford would mean less than a month to prepare for BMAT, and catching up, and projects :'(

All the best

Thank you! I remember ages ago I said i wanted >800 in each section - clearly I wasn't in touch with reality. And omg same... I don't even know why I'm doing 3 AH I only need 2 and 1 H but trust me I haven't done anything for school except suggest a vague topic for my chemistry project. As for me, I think I'm going to stick to Scottish unis - if I somehow get in it'll be by scraping it. lmao

All the best to you too. :smile:
Original post by Archie2004
What have you done to revamp your AR? I've been getting anywhere between 570-670 on mocks! So not amazing but it could be worse. Sometimes I can't work out the pattern but I can just sort of tell if it looks right or not, probably not the best way to be going about it haha!
I've actually found AR the 'easiest' (not that any part of this process is easy) to improve on since I can follow a mental formula for working out the answer e.g. starting with number, colour then the next parameter and so on. I've also found it least worthwhile to do practise questions for AR compared to other sections due to following a formula. I'd recommend the 1000q book and completemedguide.com's guide I got a couple days ago since they have a comprehensive guide to making your own formula and I find I've massively sped up i this section since sticking to this strategy.
Bruhhhh the average was 640! I'm gonna have to become a biologist :'( #rip
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ikram99
Which heartless idiot came up with the UKCAT?! 😒

I got 580 average and Band 4 thanks to whoever came up with such a stupid exam!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a bit of an unfair assessment. You can't say that because you did badly, the UKCAT is a bad exam.

Unfortunately, it works well for the majority, and so this was due to either your lack of preparation, lack of aptitude, or more likely a bit of both.

The UKCAT is great for doing what it does: assessing one's skills, not their academic knowledge. You don't need to know anything going into it, it's all about learning the techniques to do well. Also, it gives those who may not have the best overall profile a chance to prove themselves in another way.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I do not mean to offend but only to inform you without sugar coating anything, but I would seriously think long and hard about whether you are suitable for medicine/dentistry/vets, as although I have not learnt anything about your overall profile, your UKCAT is perhaps not indicative of your application being successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5045
Original post by Nuba123
Thank you! I remember ages ago I said i wanted >800 in each section - clearly I wasn't in touch with reality. And omg same... I don't even know why I'm doing 3 AH I only need 2 and 1 H but trust me I haven't done anything for school except suggest a vague topic for my chemistry project. As for me, I think I'm going to stick to Scottish unis - if I somehow get in it'll be by scraping it. lmao

All the best to you too. :smile:

I'm doing 4 AH, and one is crash AH Computing Science didn't do Nat 5 :/ it hurts...

But AH chemistry is probably worse, not taking anything in hahaha, hopefully I'll have some sort of miracle exponential growth of understanding but I wouldn't count on it!! Hahaha
Reply 5046
Original post by GetOverHere
That's a bit of an unfair assessment. You can't say that because you did badly, the UKCAT is a bad exam.

Unfortunately, it works well for the majority, and so this was due to either your lack of preparation, lack of aptitude, or more likely a bit of both.

The UKCAT is great for doing what it does: assessing one's skills, not their academic knowledge. You don't need to know anything going into it, it's all about learning the techniques to do well. Also, it gives those who may not have the best overall profile a chance to prove themselves in another way.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I do not mean to offend but only to inform you without sugar coating anything, but I would seriously think long and hard about whether you are suitable for medicine/dentistry/vets, as although I have not learnt anything about your overall profile, your UKCAT is perhaps not indicative of your application being successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn bro, u savage af hahahaha
Is their any way if resetting medify to having the questions unanswered?
Reply 5048
Original post by Zeed.
Yes please I need to know if medify mock exams are harder and the scores that people got compared to the actual exam is lower, because I'm only averaging about 620 when I need about 700.

Hold on I'll just check!!

In Mock 1 I got:

770 VR
770 QR
650 AR
Band 2 SJ

In Mock 2 I got:

800 VR
650 QR
730 AR
Band 2 SJ

(my Medify is weirdly broken and says I got 900 AR which is not true, luckily I already noted it as 730 elsewhere)

In Mock 3 I got:

650 VR
650 QR
630 AR
Band 2 SJ

(Yeah not great here...)

and then on the day I got:

650 VR
750 QR
860 AR
Band 1 SJ

And also in Medify Mini-Mocks I got:

650 VR
700 QR
600 AR
Band 1 SJ

Shows how different it is on the day I guess. Still shouldn't disregard Medify as too hard as it really does prepare you for anything!!

Hope this helps!!
Reply 5049
Original post by abzz11
Is their any way if resetting medify to having the questions unanswered?

Do you mean to redo the mocks? If so, not really... I suppose you could contact them and chance your luck but I'd not count on them resetting it for you...
Original post by ASTK98
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474227045.282454.jpg This pattern finished me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I remember seeing this one it was ridiculous
Original post by BFCBP
Do you mean to redo the mocks? If so, not really... I suppose you could contact them and chance your luck but I'd not count on them resetting it for you...

Yes thats what i meant because i borrowed someones and it wouldve been useful to do as many as possible because most of theirs is done
Reply 5052
Original post by abzz11
Yes thats what i meant because i borrowed someones and it wouldve been useful to do as many as possible because most of theirs is done

You could just contact Medify and make up a story but it might not work worth a go tho?
Original post by BFCBP
Damn bro, u savage af hahahaha

I'm not savage at all. I'm trying to be realistic. At the end of the day, I want everyone to be where they wanna be, that much is true. But that can't necessarily happen.

I'm not telling him he has no hope or should give up, I'm advising him to think about alternatives because the hard truth is that schools will turn down weak applications, and to waste your UCAS on an application that won't work will mean you've wasted a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5054
I'm not savage at all. I'm trying to be realistic. At the end of the day, I want everyone to be where they wanna be, that much is true. But that can't necessarily happen.

I'm not telling him he has no hope or should give up, I'm advising him to think about alternatives because the hard truth is that schools will turn down weak applications, and to waste your UCAS on an application that won't work will mean you've wasted a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only joking anyway. Possibly a better option with that UKCAT score would be to follow the postgrad route if medicine truly is the career for them? A long way round though...

Probably not worth recommending the BMAT unis as is it any easier?
Original post by BFCBP
I'm doing 4 AH, and one is crash AH Computing Science didn't do Nat 5 :/ it hurts...

But AH chemistry is probably worse, not taking anything in hahaha, hopefully I'll have some sort of miracle exponential growth of understanding but I wouldn't count on it!! Hahaha

OMG! Well done! I would not be able to do 4 AH but I'm sure you're fully capable - it's really hard trying to stay on top of evrything - i know how you feel. lol
the new section is called the situational judgement test . u can find it in the new UKCAT practice books

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily a lack of preparation or aptitude, he could've had a bad batch of questions or a bad day.
Ukcat is merely a way to cut down the amount of applicants suitable for the course as it's so competitive. They needed another requirement as the majority are applying with great grades.
They don't need to think 'long and hard' about whether they're suitable for medicine or dentistry and the like as the ukcat doesn't define what a good/capable doctor would be; hence why it's not the only criteria used in selection. If they know they have the capability and desire to do medicine then they should go for it.

I'm pretty sure if they're able to get good grades then they don't need to rely on a ukcat to define their ability and whether they should pursue a passion of theirs.

Some universities have different requirements so you can't assume that their ukcat is indicative of them not being successful. They can always do the BMAT and score better on that as well as that isn't the same as the ukcat and loads of people do bad in the one but great in the other . So this doesn't define whether they're suitable for medicine at all, it just simply suggests that they shouldn't apply to ukcat heavy universities. That's it.
Original post by L.Khan
Hi, I got 733, Band 2 in the UKCAT and am hoping to apply to Newcastle. Which other uni would be worth a look at?
Thanks

Hey there,

Are you thinking of apply to UKCAT heavy universities? If so, you could consider Sheffield and Southampton, which last year had UKCAT cut off scores of 675 and 705 respectively. To be honest, with a score like yours (which is great by the way!) you could apply to most UKCAT universities and have a good chance, as long as you've got good GCSE and A level grades to back it up.

It's really up to you! Good luck with it all,
The Medic Portal
Original post by aspiringmedic178
Thank you so much!! I am trying to choose between Bristol and Exeter. I heart that Exeter wants above 650? Do you think I could apply to Exeter or Bristol is a better idea. I also have 7A*s and 3 As.

Ahhh that's a tough one!

We would love to help you with your decision, but ultimately it's really up to you! There is so much luck and chance involved, we couldn't possibly say!

Good luck with it all :smile:

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending