The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MCMXCVIII
Where are the questions for quantitative reasoning? Is it at the bottom of the page or on the side?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pardon?
Original post by TheMaskedLady
Soooooo i had my UKCAT today and I think it went pretty well. Alot better than i expected coz my mocks were trash.

My results are:
VR- 520
QR- 850
AR- 720
SJ- Band 2

So tell me if thats good or bad coz I'm not entirely sure what kind of score is considered 'good'. Im hoping to apply to barts and kings college.

Hey what's your predicted/obtained ucas tarrif?
Original post by Squishy•
Pardon?

Are the questions in QR at the bottom or right side of the screen? Just wondering. On medify, they're at the bottom of the screen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MCMXCVIII
Are the questions in QR at the bottom or right side of the screen? Just wondering. On medify, they're at the bottom of the screen

Posted from TSR Mobile

It drives me insane constantly scrolling ugh, also with this question, on medify/ukcat if the data is more than a page long and has the scroll option it won't let me move to the next page unless I've viewed it all aka scrolled down? Is that the same in the exam? because it makes me waste so many valuable seconds lmao😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jayeshforce1
Yh thanks Looks like Southampton, UEA and Nottingham will consider the score if my overall application is decent which i hope it is. I don't know about KCL they said they will consider but " chances are reduced" since i believe they are quite UKCAT heavy even for foundation year. Do you think i should pull out KCL and insert Bristol as they appear less aggressive on UKCAT scores or risk KCL in your opinion?

Personally I'd apply for Bristol instead, as they put less emphasis on your UKCAT score. But if your heart is set on Kings then it's worth a shot IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just sat the UKCAT there, I got

VR - 650
QR - 800
AR - 690
SJT - Band 2
Total Score - 2140
Average Score - 713

Do I stand a chance of getting an interview at Dundee, and an offer from Edinburgh?
Original post by michaela__
It drives me insane constantly scrolling ugh, also with this question, on medify/ukcat if the data is more than a page long and has the scroll option it won't let me move to the next page unless I've viewed it all aka scrolled down? Is that the same in the exam? because it makes me waste so many valuable seconds lmao😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG same! We're already pushed for time as it is and then it says I need to view all the data before moving on... really hope it's not like this in the real thing lol
Original post by jayeshforce1
Guys i need help. I got 600 Average and Band 1 STJ. I only had 20 or so days to revise for the UKCAT cause of research placement this summer etc
I am planning applying to foundation year course. At Nottingham, Bristol, UEA and Southampton since i do qualify for those. Pretty disappointed at the 600 average. Is this the end of the road for me? My predicted grades are ABC my GCSEs are not the worst ( in my opinion) 4 A*-A 7Bs and i have taken lots of hospital work experience, done nuffield research placement,crest award, volunteer at children charity and have written a scientific report for GSK this summer.
I really do not wish to take the graduate entry and i dont believe there are any bmat foundation year courses available.

Any help from those experienced would be appreciated.

Yep you and me are in the same position but my UKCAT was worse than yours. I am was hoping to do Foundation Medicine at Bristol, UEA, Leeds and Lancaster. I got 580 average and Band 4 :frown: . My GCSes were 2A*s 5As and 4 Bs. My AS were AABB and A levels predicted ABB in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

With your stats, its definately NOT the end of the road for you! Foundation Medicine is for students like us who want to do Medicine but dint really meet or have a competitive set of grades or academics.
Right now, I would advice you continue with your application (and maybe take the bmat if you want). You're good to apply to unis like: UEA, Southampton, Cardiff.... I wouldnt say Southampton because I heard they want 650 minimum for their BM5 and BM6 programme.

(And i just realised were applying to two of the same unis :smile: )
Original post by ASTK98
It's subjective but IMO if you're in the 7th decile then your score is 'good', 8th and 9th decile and your score is 'amazing.' It's more than good enough for Barts and KCL for sure though.

What were you scoring in mocks btw?

What decile does 704 fall under? I got VR: 600, QR: 740, AR: 770, SJT Band 2 o.o I really wanted to apply for kings but im not soo sure now
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Exeter want above 650? Where did you read this?

In the student room. So that's not true? Do you think with a 610 UKCAT average (1890 overall), 7A*s and 3As at GCSE I might have a chance?
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Omg I would be so happy with those results!! Would you mind giving a breakdown of how you found each section? :smile:

Lets see,

For VR... Being my worst section I got pretty much the same i did in the Medify mocks and I still struggled with the timing I should've asked to move somewhere else cause someone else was takign their GMAT right beside me and he kept reading out the questions which kinda didnt let me focus. But somehow guessed the last 2 scenarios and got 600. I'd definitely advice scanning cause under the time pressure skimming and keeping the whole idea in your head can be hard unless you've practised that way from the start.

For QR.. A lot of people said it was easier and I would say it is but it also depends on luck cause the questions are selected from a huuuuge question bank. My questions were simple but MOST of them were time consuming I couldn't get back to the flagged ones and so those pretty much had a random answer. Got around 650-750 in mocks and got a 740 in the real thing.

AR was always my best section and I always enjoyed it I was pretty good with medify and never got below 780 in the mocks. You jsut have to be calm and there is no shortcut to AR than a lot of practice. I ended up with a 770 even though i was hoping for a 850. A few were pretty confusing with a lot of lines that just counting them would use a lot of time.

Since im an international applicant who is retaking as well they are pretty harsh about giving an interview/offer thats why I wanted a 740 avg xD 703 is good but now i guess its just fingers crossed xD

Good luck to you :')
Hello!I was wondering if someone may please help me!I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical science and am looking to study GEM.I took my UKCAT last week and quite disappointingly got a score of 620 :'( I found the exam so much harder than medify?!!I was wondering if somebody could help tell me realistically what my options are now. I am thinking of also doing the BMAT in November. Which unis do you think I should consider/avoid. I would also not oppose going for the undergrad course too :smile:I also have good GCSE's all A*'s and A's with 2 B's but my A-Levels were quite poor: BBD (Biology, Psychology and Chemistry).Please help me! I really want to do medicine :frown:(Thank you :smile:
Original post by kerrym11
Hello!I was wondering if someone may please help me!I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical science and am looking to study GEM.I took my UKCAT last week and quite disappointingly got a score of 620 :'( I found the exam so much harder than medify?!!I was wondering if somebody could help tell me realistically what my options are now. I am thinking of also doing the BMAT in November. Which unis do you think I should consider/avoid. I would also not oppose going for the undergrad course too :smile:I also have good GCSE's all A*'s and A's with 2 B's but my A-Levels were quite poor: BBD (Biology, Psychology and Chemistry).Please help me! I really want to do medicine :frown:(Thank you :smile:

I dont think you'd have a problem applying anywhere with the UKCAT score you have. I am aware that a minimum of a 2:1 in your degree is needed. You're UKCAT score is good and should get you atleast 1 offer. But it's totally up to you!
If you want to widen your options, then I would recommend the BMAT. I know not many Graduate Medicine courses require the GAMSAT.
Original post by Ikram99
Yep you and me are in the same position but my UKCAT was worse than yours. I am was hoping to do Foundation Medicine at Bristol, UEA, Leeds and Lancaster. I got 580 average and Band 4 :frown: . My GCSes were 2A*s 5As and 4 Bs. My AS were AABB and A levels predicted ABB in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

With your stats, its definately NOT the end of the road for you! Foundation Medicine is for students like us who want to do Medicine but dint really meet or have a competitive set of grades or academics.
Right now, I would advice you continue with your application (and maybe take the bmat if you want). You're good to apply to unis like: UEA, Southampton, Cardiff.... I wouldnt say Southampton because I heard they want 650 minimum for their BM5 and BM6 programme.

(And i just realized were applying to two of the same unis :smile: )

That cool bro. I balled my eyes out just to get rid of the emotions. I read your message and will be ok with updating my status. Southampton doesn't specify 650 as far as i am aware 650 may be the cutoff for last years normal 5 year course.
Original post by zara123786
GCSE's-9 A*'s 2A's and a B
AS levels-4 A's in maths, physics, biology and chemistry
Predicted probably somewhere around 2A*s and an A (having dropped physics)
UKCAT- averaged 633 band 2

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should apply because I know my UKCAT isn't too great? I'm thinking of Keele, Cardiff, Birmingham and Newcastle.

Sheffield set a minimum UKCAT score each year for applicants and this year its 1850 (works out at an average 617) so you would be fine for them.
They use your band at the interview stage but they put a lot on your personal statement. They'll give it a grade and only those with an A grade go through to the interview stage.
I did my UKCAT today and got an average of 710
VR: 610
QR: 850
AR: 670
Band 2

I want to apply to Sheffield, Manchester and then its between Newcastle, York and Nottingham.
Does anyone know what Newcastle, Nottingham and York want for the UKCAT and what the requirements for the UKCAT were for them last year?
Original post by Ikram99
I dont think you'd have a problem applying anywhere with the UKCAT score you have. I am aware that a minimum of a 2:1 in your degree is needed. You're UKCAT score is good and should get you atleast 1 offer. But it's totally up to you!
If you want to widen your options, then I would recommend the BMAT. I know not many Graduate Medicine courses require the GAMSAT.

Thank you! With a score of 620 where do you think would be realistic for me to apply ?? :smile:
Original post by The Medic Portal
Oh sorry! That was a typo on our part. The minimum thresholds are listed here on the official UKCAT website. That hyperlink states that last year you had to meet the following thresholds:
Verbal Reasoning - 530
Quantitative Reasoning - 650
Abstract Reasoning - 610
Decision Analysis - 600
Total with standard deviation applied: 2610.

Hope that clears up any confusion, and thanks for pointing it out :smile:
The Medic Portal

Hello! I was wondering if it was possible to get the table for dentistry entry requirements :biggrin: Many thanks!
Original post by Niraxas
Lets see,

For VR... Being my worst section I got pretty much the same i did in the Medify mocks and I still struggled with the timing I should've asked to move somewhere else cause someone else was takign their GMAT right beside me and he kept reading out the questions which kinda didnt let me focus. But somehow guessed the last 2 scenarios and got 600. I'd definitely advice scanning cause under the time pressure skimming and keeping the whole idea in your head can be hard unless you've practised that way from the start.

For QR.. A lot of people said it was easier and I would say it is but it also depends on luck cause the questions are selected from a huuuuge question bank. My questions were simple but MOST of them were time consuming I couldn't get back to the flagged ones and so those pretty much had a random answer. Got around 650-750 in mocks and got a 740 in the real thing.

AR was always my best section and I always enjoyed it I was pretty good with medify and never got below 780 in the mocks. You jsut have to be calm and there is no shortcut to AR than a lot of practice. I ended up with a 770 even though i was hoping for a 850. A few were pretty confusing with a lot of lines that just counting them would use a lot of time.

Since im an international applicant who is retaking as well they are pretty harsh about giving an interview/offer thats why I wanted a 740 avg xD 703 is good but now i guess its just fingers crossed xD

Good luck to you :':wink:

Thanks a lot that's really helpful :smile: Yeah I think AR is definitely my strongest, followed by VR and then QR... I hope I get lucky with QR because the mocks haven't been going too well :frown: IMO anything above 700 is very good but ofc it's down to personal preference and what unis you're looking to apply to. I think your score puts you in a very good postion though. Good luck with everything!

Thanks, I've got it tomorrow at half 12 ahhh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123chem
Hello! I was wondering if it was possible to get the table for dentistry entry requirements :biggrin: Many thanks!

Aha! No problem :biggrin:

It's attached as an excel doc.

Hope you find it useful!

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply