The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I am not sure if this has been asked already.

In regards to the decision making section not counting this year, I know it says to take it seriously, however, what are people's strategies? I am considering whipping through it so I can continue onto the other sections?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Nehal:)

In regards to the decision making section not counting this year, I know it says to take it seriously, however, what are people's strategies? I am considering whipping through it so I can continue onto the other sections?

Thanks in advance.

You can't whop through it.... u have to wait till the time is up. I am just going to do it
Original post by Nehal:)

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that just because you should want to maintain a good level of concentration throughout the whole exam.
[QUOTE=Ienjoylife;65589693]I am not sure who you mean by 'their'. Many people who run course also have books and the courses tend to repeat what is in the book. In my humble opinion, going to a course for UKCAT is pointless because most of the technique you need to acquire is efficient use of time and you can only do that either by learning a few tricks (which you will find in books) or by sheer practice (in which case books or online resources) are the best.

Okay then, I think I'll just do loads of practice for the test and forget about the course. Thank you!
Hey guys, i did the ukcat last year and i'm selling my books and resources last year. If you are interested please PM me. I had 2 unconditional offers for dentistry, i have attended the ukcat kaplan course and interview courses and i can give you honest advice on what to avoid.
Reply 125
Original post by alisa728727
How do you prepare for this? Like what courses are suitable and where can I get good study material that will be enough to take the test? For 2017 entry into medical school.

Hi Alisa, I took the UKCAT last year and scored in the top 10%, I would recommend starting with the official website, there practice questions and tests a that'll help you prepare. Once you are comfortable then Purchase a book. Goodluck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by clairebear101
You can't whop through it.... u have to wait till the time is up. I am just going to do it

Thank you, I completely forgot about that :smile:
Hi guys, Im a 2nd, soon 3rd year dental student.

Im happy to help anyone (as far as I can!) if anyone has any questions and I might have half an idea as to an answer!

Are any of you guys applying for dentistry? At Birmingham/live in Birmingham! (An amazing city BTW)

Pete.
Hi guys, Im doing the UKCAT in August hoping to get into Foundation Medicine or Dentistry.. Im also doing voluntary work at my local hospital and I would like to do some other things to help me with my Personal Statement.

Im a mature student and have just taken my GCSE's this summer. I wanted to start a post on what others are doing, what advice you can give and tips and tricks for UKCAT we can all share on here to get into Med/Den ??
I feel like there's not much you can do for ukcat other than do lots of practice. There's a book called something like 500 ukcat practice questions which you can buy and it has some tips on how to approach certain questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I've got the Kaplan book it think it's called which is helpful plus I'm going to do the online practices. I think there are some events you can attend but not sure if I will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karishma9156
I feel like there's not much you can do for ukcat other than do lots of practice. There's a book called something like 500 ukcat practice questions which you can buy and it has some tips on how to approach certain questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are referring to the ISC Medical 600 ukcat practice questions book. But this book has now been replaced by its newer version 1000 ukcat practice questions: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-School-UKCAT-Practice-Questions/dp/1905812183
Reply 132
the kaplan book is helpful however i prepared months in advance and even sat a practice UKCAT at the centre the year before and didn't do as well as I'd hoped. Although i was still invited to interview so it shows a low score doesn't eliminate your chances of entry
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Hi

I've got the Kaplan book it think it's called which is helpful plus I'm going to do the online practices. I think there are some events you can attend but not sure if I will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally found the Kaplan book very helpful and in terms of online, I would recommend Medify and of course looking at the mock tests online. In terms of events, I wouldn't say they were necessary (especially with the cost of some of them) I didn't end up going and still achieved above average so it shows that you can do it without the events!
Reply 135

The top one is pretty much considered the gold standard - nearly everyone uses it. :smile:
Original post by Beska
The top one is pretty much considered the gold standard - nearly everyone uses it. :smile:

Yes, I agree, go for the ISC Medical one. Especially now it has all the updates in it.
If you have Amazon prime you can get it really fast: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-School-UKCAT-Practice-Questions/dp/1905812183/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank toy will be looking in to medify start my revision tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you will look into it . Have you heard of the medical ethics book too on Amazon I've heard that's pretty useful for the whole interview Etc ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending