The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentsixth
How did people fare with the mini-mocks? I failed my QR with 550 :frown: the questions were too long XD

Hey dont worry about it, i failed a lot of my mocks like this as i didnt have technques as good. Now i have the techniques i wish i still had the resources you could repeat but hey ho! apparently the real thing is easier
Original post by Kings_queens
Did mine today for 710 average
VR: 630
QR: 710
AR: 790
SJT: 2
So happy:smile:
I used Kaplan and medify - they really do work!

Hey I have been using Kaplan and Medify, I have heard that th VR this year is awful and nothing can compare you. but surely if i go in with the same techniques of scanning for a key word and stay calm its okay even if passages are longer do they still have key words to find? well done btw :smile:
Original post by clairebear101
Hey I have been using Kaplan and Medify, I have heard that th VR this year is awful and nothing can compare you. but surely if i go in with the same techniques of scanning for a key word and stay calm its okay even if passages are longer do they still have key words to find? well done btw :smile:

Heya thanks I didn't find the VR too bad really but this is the second time doing my ukcat so I already was used to it. Improved my score from 540 so just keep going with scanning techniques and you'll be fine!!!!
Reply 1883
Heya thanks I didn't find the VR too bad really but this is the second time doing my ukcat so I already was used to it. Improved my score from 540 so just keep going with scanning techniques and you'll be fine!!!!

Would you say the QR is about the same as medify or easier/harder?

well done! I'm guessing you found AR easier than the medify mocks?

so there is enough key words to scan for then? like its quite straight forward? sorry for all the questions but i cant get over 700 in QR in Kaplan mocks or medify - is the real thing easier? also with AR i find medify have some easy sets and some extreme hard sets?!
can someone tell me how close the kaplan mock 6 is to the real exam? thanks x :smile:

What score did you get in mock 1?
Original post by AMC98
Would you say the QR is about the same as medify or easier/harder?

QR is easier and it was last year too. The more practice you do the easier
Original post by ronnydandam
well done! I'm guessing you found AR easier than the medify mocks?

Dunno really about the same I guess but it's my strongest area and just practice loads and it'll be easier to spot patterns
so there is enough key words to scan for then? like its quite straight forward? sorry for all the questions but i cant get over 700 in QR in Kaplan mocks or medify - is the real thing easier? also with AR i find medify have some easy sets and some extreme hard sets?!

I wouldn't get too dragged down by it TBH I knew this was always my weak spot and it generally is the lowest everyone scores on on average. i felt it was the same as any other VR I'd done before just lots of comprehension. Honestly you'll be fine don't stress. More inferences and conclusions than on medify
Original post by Manexopi
Most difficult section practicing was QR for me but on the actual day, VR went from being my best to my worst.

QR is the worst for me too! It's the timing that I just can't get the hang of
Reply 1891
QR is easier and it was last year too. The more practice you do the easier

In terms of timing for QR how many question have you done properly with only say 2 minutes left?
Sorry it's such a specific question but I struggle with timing for this :/
Has anyone done the Kaplan test 1?
Can anyone share good resources for QR that they used? I am frustrated by the timing with medify and need to practice a great deal. I have tried some gcse materials which didn't prove to be very helpful as they weren't to the same difficulty level
Original post by studentsixth
How did people fare with the mini-mocks? I failed my QR with 550 :frown: the questions were too long XD

Didn't fo that great (630 in abstract) but did waaaay better in the medify mocks so try those and see! Saw someone say the mini movks are made of the more difficult questions but the full mocks are a mixture meant to mimic the real things! :smile:
Original post by Talisia13
QR is the worst for me too! It's the timing that I just can't get the hang of

Hi Talisa13

Hoping I can offer some advice...

For the QR section, get familiar with the on screen calculator and use the calculator with the keyboard for speed it's really important to practice this.
Look for hard questions and skip them straight away as there is no point in wasting valuable time. If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation then I would consider that to be a hard question.

When you move on from a question, guess the answer and flag it for review in case you find you have extra time at the end. There is no harm in guessing as there is no negative marking.

I hope that is useful.

Let me know if we can help with anything else and good luck with your test!

UniAdmissions
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
Did my actual UKCAT yesterday.

VR: 520/900 (I hate this ugh. A combination of being bad at this and being nervous bcoz its the first section)
QR: 890/900
AR: 700/900
SJT: Band 2
Total: 2110
Avg: 703
If you have any questions let me know. I think I can help with QR at least :s

Busy right now, will post proof later.

how did u revise fo qr and get such a high score????? my ukcat is on mondau and im getting in the 600's in QR, eally want to improve this to atleast 700 by the exam. do you think thats possible?

well done on your sick score!
Original post by Pra99
Has anyone done the Kaplan test 1?

yes didnt go great :frown:
Anyone who was subscribed to Medify how did you do in the online mock tests? How dd the mock tests compare to the actual UKCAT exam? I have been studying for 4 weeks but my marks don't seem to improve, the range is more or less the same, average around 1900 (VR, QR & AR). I'm worried! My exam date is next week. I don't expect to do magically better unless someone tells me that the actual exam is marked liniently or that you tend to score better in the actual exam. To those who got over 700, were you getting the same result during your practice sessions?
Any guidance? Should I postpone my exam date? Please help!
does anyone know what percentage of correct answers corresponds to what score on the converted scale? (i know that 80% of correct answers on any section is approximately 800 but does anyone know what percentage for 700/600 etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending