The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talisia13
can anyone give me any tips on the QR section? I cannot seem to get them done in the time given :frown:

Hi Talisia13

Firstly, make sure that you are familiar with the on screen calculator and use the calculator with the keyboard for speed. Practice this lots!

Make sure that you look for hard questions and skip them straight away, no point in wasting precious time! If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, then that would qualify it as a hard question... so move on.

Always have a go at guessing the answer before you move on as there are no negative marks and you never know you might get it right. Flag it for review in case you find you have time left at the end to go back to it.

Hope that is useful.

Good luck with your test!

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Talisia13

Firstly, make sure that you are familiar with the on screen calculator and use the calculator with the keyboard for speed. Practice this lots!

Make sure that you look for hard questions and skip them straight away, no point in wasting precious time! If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, then that would qualify it as a hard question... so move on.

Always have a go at guessing the answer before you move on as there are no negative marks and you never know you might get it right. Flag it for review in case you find you have time left at the end to go back to it.

Hope that is useful.

Good luck with your test!

UniAdmissions

Thank you. I am practising with the calculator but finding it difficult! are there any keys on the keyboard for plus, minus, divide and multiply? Rather than having to click them with a mouse?
Hi guys, my ukcat is in 2 weeks and i was wondering when to start the mocks on medify, so far ive just been doing practice and a few timed practice, thanks.
Original post by Not_a_horse
Hi guys, my ukcat is in 2 weeks and i was wondering when to start the mocks on medify, so far ive just been doing practice and a few timed practice, thanks.
Space the mocks out prior to the week(s) of the exam.

Mine is on Thursday and I am doing 1 mock a day so far, and trying to practice questions from the individual sections as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
The table below shows the exchange rates between GBP and various other currencies in a large department store. Exchange rates are prone to constant change due to many different factors.A store offers exclusive exchange rates for their cardholders. Since this is a Credit Card, the store offers a 1.5% bonus which is added to the value of the foreign currency for the same amount of GBP. The only way to exchange from foreign currency to GBP is by cash to cash conversion.The table shows both the standard conversion rates from GBP to the foreign currency, and also back again. For example £1 would equate to €1.189 (EUR), and for $1 (USD) you would get 66.66p back.
How much does it cost, in GBP, to buy E£3000 (EGP) using cash?
£357.96
£364.30
£24711.70
£25142.40

can someone explain why you wouldnt do 3000 x 0.1214 to get the answer?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Uni12345678
The table below shows the exchange rates between GBP and various other currencies in a large department store. Exchange rates are prone to constant change due to many different factors.A store offers exclusive exchange rates for their cardholders. Since this is a Credit Card, the store offers a 1.5% bonus which is added to the value of the foreign currency for the same amount of GBP. The only way to exchange from foreign currency to GBP is by cash to cash conversion.The table shows both the standard conversion rates from GBP to the foreign currency, and also back again. For example £1 would equate to €1.189 (EUR), and for $1 (USD) you would get 66.66p back.
How much does it cost, in GBP, to buy E£3000 (EGP) using cash?
£357.96
£364.30
£24711.70
£25142.40

can someone explain why you wouldnt do 3000 x 0.1214 to get the answer?

8.3808 EGP = £1

Therefore you have to do 3000/8.3808 to find the amount of £

Which is 357.96

image.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Harpal10
8.3808 EGP = £1

Therefore you have to do 3000/8.3808 to find the amount of £

Which is 357.96

yes but 1 EGP = £0.1214, so why not do 3000 EGP x 0.1214?
Anyone got any tips for the comprehension questions on verbal reasoning? I find, for the true/false/cant tell questions, that i can normally complete each question within 20 seconds. However, for the comprehension questions this slows down to about 40-50 seconds per question as i find i simply do not have enough time to analyse each possible answer. Has anyone got any tips for speeding up?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Anyone got any tips for the comprehension questions on verbal reasoning? I find, for the true/false/cant tell questions, that i can normally complete each question within 20 seconds. However, for the comprehension questions this slows down to about 40-50 seconds per question as i find i simply do not have enough time to analyse each possible answer. Has anyone got any tips for speeding up?

find the key word in each answer choice and skim the text for that word, if you dont find it check the next answer choice, if you take longer than 30 seconds or in your case 40 seconds since you only spend 20 seconds on the shorter qs guess C and move on lol :smile:
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Imarrable

With the QR make sure you are familiar with the on screen calculator and that you use the calculator with the keyboard for speed. It is really important to practise this a lot.

Also look for hard questions and skip them straight away there is little point in wasting your time.
I would say that if the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, then that is a hard question and worth skipping.

Guess the answer when you move on as there is no negative marking. Then make sure that you flag for review in case you get extra time later.

Hope that helps!

UniAdmissions

Thank you so much for the tips! When I took this timed mock, it was my first practice, so I had no technique or awareness of timing. I'm hoping to now use this technique and do a lot better! Thanks again
Original post by clairebear101
Its a hard mock so dont worry, whens your test? :smile:

Thanks for the much needed reassurance. 16th August (3 days time omg!). Have you had yours yet?
find the key word in each answer choice and skim the text for that word, if you dont find it check the next answer choice, if you take longer than 30 seconds or in your case 40 seconds since you only spend 20 seconds on the shorter qs guess C and move on lol :smile:

why C?
Reply 1972
Just almost completed Mock C and exited the page by accident :angry: SO ANNOYED
yes but 1 EGP = £0.1214, so why not do 3000 EGP x 0.1214?
You're right but the figures in the table don't go hand in hand for some reason - even though they are supposed to - and I don't know why. If you do 1/0.1214 you are supposed to get the conversion in units/GBP which is 8.2372 however this value isn't on the table... Is this medify or Kaplan?
Hi everyone
Just did my first Mock today on medify and I got
VR:600
QR:630
AR:650
SJ:Band 2
AVG:627

Exam is on the 18th August , should I be worried or is this is a decent result?
Thanks
Original post by lmarrable
Thanks for the much needed reassurance. 16th August (3 days time omg!). Have you had yours yet?

Ayy I am also writing on the 16th! How has your prep been going?
Thanks for that will have a look 😃

Original post by nomophobia
Just look up the requirements for each Scottish uni to see whether or not they require the BMAT. The BMAT is an entrance exam like the UKCAT but is taken on 2nd of November and some uni's require it instead of the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chikku_7
Ayy I am also writing on the 16th! How has your prep been going?

Ooh hello there. Umm not great aha what about yours?
Original post by lmarrable
Ooh hello there. Umm not great aha what about yours?

Same, sadly have not been very productive! Do you use medify? I have done 2 mocks, I am saving the last one for tomorrow.
IMO, the official UKCAT mock 1 has extensive amounts of data in QR, much more than medify - is this comparable to the real thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending