Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does depression last forever watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been depressed for almost 4 years it seems like it's gonna last forever
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LD1000)
    No, it doesn't. Life changes, individuals change, opportunities turn up, little by little, things change and depression usually goes. It goes faster if you gently but firmly push against it and make yourself take the little steps though.

ReputationRep:
    I had depression for about a year, which was 3 years ago, I'm much better now and have been for a while. Hope it gets better for you too OP

ReputationRep:
    Know the feeling :hugs:

Have you had any treatment for it at all, therapy or medication?

ReputationRep:
    I could've sworn it is a lifelong battle...it's also been called a disease...it's not a cold, it's a state of mind/chemical imbalance...it doesn't go away overnight for sure.

ReputationRep:
    hey mate,

I don't know if there's an easy answer for this. Some people get depression once, and never again; other people have to deal with it repeatedly. I've had depression since my mid-teens, but was only diagnosed five years ago, when I was 17. Since then it's been very on and off: six good months, four bad, eight good, six bad, etc. Every time I hope it'll be the last, and so far I've been disappointed every time. At present I'm struggling really badly with an anxiety disorder, but my depression seems okay, so I've been clear about seven months.

it's not the answer I'd like to give, but as depression can last, I've had to learn to manage my depression. I know my triggers and symptoms, and before things get bad I go to the doctors (while I'm still at the 'able to get out of bed/feed self etc stage!) and go back on anti-depressants, which helps. I'm meant to do mindfullness stuff too, but have never got round to it. Some of my friends have told me it helps, though. Every time I finish a course of medication, I keep the last pill in the packet as a reminder that I've beaten it, and I can do it again. I recommend that if you have good patches, you speak to doctors and get references to counselling/CBT/other help during that patch, so that if you start to struggle, you have some tools to fight back!

Above all, remember that you are not your depression: it is a condition that you live with and you are not a failure for having it. If you are able, ask people for help; since talking to my close family and friends about it I have found it so much easier to manage, as when I am struggling to look after myself I have people who know how to help me and can look out for me. I still have the beast but with help he stays in his corner a great deal more of the time than he usually does! You are mroe powerful than your depression and you can get through this <3

ReputationRep:
    Ive been smoking and drinking

ReputationRep:
    Ive been smoking and drinking
    What do you think is the cause of your depression? Have you sought professional help?

And your point is LD100

Drinking and smoking isn't the answer(get a hobby,exercise join fellow sufferers groups).Its not an instant fix(baby steps)are you worse when the dark nights come in if you are it could be S.A.D. Syndrome

ReputationRep:
    Lots of things

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.