lolap971
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I am from Italy and i am applying to a BA course in UK.
Can someone please tell me if universities are really that strict about final grades, once they make the conditional offer? For example, if at the end of high school i reach a final 80 %, and they were asking for 83%, will three points make them deny my application in any case?
I am very worried about this, thanks to whoever will answer.
NathanDYEL
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If there's 1 place left and you get 80% and someone else gets the target of 83%, then they will get in and you won't. Otherwise i think if the mark is marginally off i dont think they will reject you just for that.
c_98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi. It depends on the university and the course. I'm applying for Finance and Accounting and Bath said if I didn't get AAA at A-Level then they would not accept me and Warwick said that I had to get an A in Maths. The other universities I applied to (Bristol, Leeds and Birmingham) all implied that if you missed your offer by a grade then they would look at my personal statement and make a judgement call (for my course they only really look at predicted grades of those applying and don't tend to bother with your personal statement unless you miss the grades). It might be worth emailing the universities' admission offices for the unis you are thinking of applying to and asking them that question so you can get a definitive answer.

Hope this helps
lolap971
Rep:
?
Thank you so Much!
I am going to apply for a BA in Politics And Internaional Relations to Kent, Leicester, Queen Mary and Nottingham Trent. I have good predicted grades, what worries me is that the Italian system is way more complicated than the british one, as well as our final exam is going to get changed this year, leaving us students completely confused. This is why I might be missing some points, even though we are talking about 2-4 points.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lolap971)
Thank you so Much!
I am going to apply for a BA in Politics And Internaional Relations to Kent, Leicester, Queen Mary and Nottingham Trent. I have good predicted grades, what worries me is that the Italian system is way more complicated than the british one, as well as our final exam is going to get changed this year, leaving us students completely confused. This is why I might be missing some points, even though we are talking about 2-4 points.
You are only guaranteed to get in if you meet ALL your conditions. If not, the university will decide whether they wish to accept you. In practice, most unis accept one dropped grade other than the very top ones. What happens is they look and see if they have any spaces left at results time after taking into account all the people who have met their offers. If more people have met their offers than they have places they would reject you. If not enough people have met their conditions they then have to decide whether to accept people who have just missed their offers or try to replace them through clearing. No one can give you anything more specific than this until the results are out.
Based on previous years most accept 1 dropped grade but that is NOT guaranteed but as far as your query is concerned I am not able to answer that.
lolap971
Rep:
?
you have been very helpful anyway, thank you a lot.
Wish you good luck for your future!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed