Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in my 2nd year of uni. It's one of the top universities in the UK and I really feel like I just shouldn't be here. Last year I did really badly and got 64% in my first year yet everyone I know is always getting firsts and are really good at grasping the material yet it takes me ages.

I do really badly in other tests like numerical tests for internships, memory tests etc. I'm really bad at cooking, sport, you name it, I'm really really bad and under average.

I only managed to get into the uni because I just memorised a load of stuff for my exams. Has anyone been through/is going through this and can give me some advice for how to deal with this?

ReputationRep:
    64% is not 'doing badly!' It is a 2.1 (if this is what you get overall) which is a respected degree! And from a top university! Sometimes the tortoise beats the hare and those people that you say memorise the material quickly may crash and burn later on!

Cooking - most people will not exactly be Jamie Oliver at your age! And not everyone is sporty!

Maybe you are just lacking in self esteem! If you have friends that put you down, even if it is 'banter,' don't stand for it! Same with any boyfriend, although maybe if you are single you need a partner to bug you up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em2014)
    Last year I did really badly and got 64% in my first year
    You won't get much sympathy for comments like this.

ReputationRep:
    I will NOT have you feeling sorry for yourself!

Have confidence in yourself, dear, as befits someone with their own cash and credit card.

ReputationRep:
    Let me summarise:

1/ Poster got good grades. Poster goes to a good uni

2/ Poster wants to gloat and tell the world

3/ Poster isnt sure how

4/ Poster realises he/she can make a thread about it to show off

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're there is great. Stick with it, and try and always improve.
    And as stated above, tortoise can beat the hare - its not what you do now, but what you do consistently throughout life. That is not to say that life is a competition.
    64% is really good. The fact that you don't think so suggests that its nothing to do with your performance, but rather a negative bias, lack of confidence, or perfectionism.

ReputationRep:
    64 would surely be around the average mark anyway?

So if you're at a good uni, then you shouldn't be ashamed of being around the average in your cohort.

In terms of dealing with it, I guess if you're bad at cooking, then try to do some practice slowly? Same for numerical tests etc; I'm sure if you tried to practice consistently, you'd see some improvement over time?

Also, it's worth remembering that there's always going to be people better than you at stuff. That's just life unfortunately - it's the same for everyone though, so try not to let it get you down. :p:

ReputationRep:
    64% is 2:1. That is not bad going!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    64% isnt bad!!! study hard, play hard and get the best grade you can, if that is a 2:1 then be damn proud of that 2:1

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.