Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Having second thoughts about 24k job starting next week watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

So I'm due to start a job in London next Monday starting at 24k per year. The job would be a Tuesday to Saturday shift and would be for a household name corporation.

My problem is that I'm beginning to doubt whether I should do this job. I'm a graduate in French and Italian (first) and this would be my first job (graduated July). I cannot find anywhere to live for less than 750 a month for tiny London/around London flatshares and it looks like after bills, rent and food I'd only be putting aside 250-350 a month for myself.

Is that enough? Am I being pathetic or are my concerns about my way of life down there understandable? It's really keeping me up at night and I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. Thanks for anyone that can help.

ReputationRep:
    Can you stick it out for a while and then ask for a transfer?

ReputationRep:
    Well what is the salary progression and what are the exit opportunities? People generally give up with London after a few years and use it mainly as a way to be around other young people and bid up their salary.

In any case you may as well take it, work at it and see what it's like. I for one would scarcely know how to spend £2-350 a month completely disposable income.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but there are places for less than £750 a month in London. I pay £550 a month all bills included and I live in Streatham (South London, Zone 3). I also earn less than you and have managed. I'm actually looking forward to the day I earn 23-24k so I have more money to play around with!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a sizeable salary for a graduate job and on paper it sounds good.

However if the reality of the set up overall does not appeal to you then you have every right to turn it down. It's your destiny and you have to walk in the shoes everyday so if something feels overbearingly heavy now then it is ok to walk away.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As mentioned, it's definitely possible to live off a salary of £24k in London, especially if you budget well. I know someone who is currently paying £450 per month on rent for a place in the Docklands.

That aside, you should also consider this job a foot in the door. You won't be on this salary forever. You might get a rise if you're performing well or you can start looking for another job that pays better in the same role/sector after a year or so.

So, in essence, I would take the job. You can definitely live in London on that salary.

ReputationRep:
    I was living in London for my placement year and was on 16k and had no help other than a £1000 student loan every 4 months. It was tough especially with tax but I had fun and survived - 24k would have meant I relaxed a lot more! I lived in zone 2 and my rent was £645 (wanted a bigger room so we split the room rentals).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.