Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I chose biochemistry as a backup to medicine but am worried I won't be able to anything with a BSc in biochemistry. I don't want to work in a lab or anything to do with science. Could I still get other jobs such as finance, investment banking etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Year11guy)
    I chose biochemistry as a backup to medicine but am worried I won't be able to anything with a BSc in biochemistry. I don't want to work in a lab or anything to do with science. Could I still get other jobs such as finance, investment banking etc. ?
    You can go into any field, even banking and finance.

But I suggest you go into something that is related to your degree such as teaching, or working in a lab.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to get a target uni for IB / finance. Biochem is not a conventional degree route to this industry however.

ReputationRep:
    You can still do a postgrad in Medicine after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecconomist)
    You need to get a target uni for IB / finance. Biochem is not a conventional degree route to this industry however.
    I picked UCL and Imperial. What are more common routes (except for economics related degrees).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    You can still do a postgrad in Medicine after.
    I don't have the money and I'd ideally not like to spend another 4-5 years in study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    You can go into any field, even banking and finance.

But I suggest you go into something that is related to your degree such as teaching, or working in a lab.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really want to work in a lab and I don't want to sound shallow but I'm aspiring for something higher paid.

ReputationRep:
    Which degrees are better for keeping job options open? I might take a year out if I'm rejected to re evaluate. I'm also interested in physics maths and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the money and I'd ideally not like to spend another 4-5 years in study.
    Take a look at this thread-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=647852&page=2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science can be used for different IT jobs such as working at Google, internet security (MI5), programming, engineering, working for games company's such as Sony and Rockstar. Business Studies is pretty vague and can be applied to a lot of jobs including banking. Research your top 5 ideal jobs on real job postings and see what degree's they require.

ReputationRep:
    Which degrees are better for keeping job options open? I might take a year out if I'm rejected to re evaluate. I'm also interested in physics maths and chemistry.
    Then engineering sounds great for you which you should definitely consider.
    If you do take a year out, I suggest you sign up now to the gap year programmes available which are amazing!
    You can explore different fields in that whole year and at the same time, doing research projects and things.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Do something that will interest you. From pretty much any science degree you can make the jump into investment or banking because of the transferable skills you've gained. Definitely don't go into science for the money.

ReputationRep:

I did biochemistry at Kings, and now I currently work for business development in an international pharmaceutical company. Negotiating and selling the sames medicines I learned about in my degree.

Everyone also told me that all I could do was teaching, labs or go into medicine...but there's soooo much more out there.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? Do some research before you post. I'm a Biochemist graduate from a top uni and have had job offers from big consultancy firms. It's a well-rounded, analytical degree and as long as you go to a top uni and get a First (pref) the possibilities are endless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Are you serious? Do some research before you post. I'm a Biochemist graduate from a top uni and have had job offers from big consultancy firms. It's a well-rounded, analytical degree and as long as you go to a top uni and get a First (pref) the possibilities are endless
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    I did biochemistry at Kings, and now I currently work for business development in an international pharmaceutical company. Negotiating and selling the sames medicines I learned about in my degree.

Everyone also told me that all I could do was teaching, labs or go into medicine...but there's soooo much more out there.
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Do something that will interest you. From pretty much any science degree you can make the jump into investment or banking because of the transferable skills you've gained. Definitely don't go into science for the money.
    Thank you all, you've given me some hope. Alleycat, I'm not going into science for the money, I find it interesting. That said, the interest is not enough to compensate for the relatively low pay.

So by taking biochemistry, I can still go into other jobs like investment banking, banking etc. Will a biochemistry degree allow me to get potentially jobs paying 100K+?

Thecdon, what university did you go to out of interest? Are UCL and Imperial ok? Does biochemistry have a lot of mathematical content? If not, I may consider doing something like chemistry or maths or physics.

Do most graduates pursue a job related to their degree? I mean what do the people with arts degrees do?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all, you've given me some hope. Alleycat, I'm not going into science for the money, I find it interesting. That said, the interest is not enough to compensate for the relatively low pay.

So by taking biochemistry, I can still go into other jobs like investment banking, banking etc. Will a biochemistry degree allow me to get potentially jobs paying 100K+?

Thecdon, what university did you go to out of interest? Are UCL and Imperial ok? Does biochemistry have a lot of mathematical content? If not, I may consider doing something like chemistry or maths or physics.

Do most graduates pursue a job related to their degree? I mean what do the people with arts degrees do?
    I studied at Bath. The uni's you've mentioned are OK yes, I received an offer from Imperial but declined as I'd heard the department was falling downhill in standard - I have no idea what the situation is now as this was 5 years ago.

Biochemistry has some maths content of course when working out concentrations and statistical analyses - nothing too taxing.

Don't worry about salary just yet... you're not even at uni! If you work hard and are determined with clear goals; you can achieve anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    What sort of job offers?
    (I am also willing to apply for biochemistry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine98)
    What sort of job offers?
    (I am also willing to apply for biochemistry)
    Consultant roles...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.