Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive always wanted to go to uni however its already half term and im in yr13 and STILL don't know what i want to study so I'm contemplating a gap year. I have no particular career direction in mind (hence not knoeing what degree) and i feel like im missing something from my life at the moment and im not sure how to fix that and a structured gap year seems like a viable option. My biggest con for this is that im already a drifter, will a gap year just lead to me drifting even more?? What's your opinion om gap years? When should you take one and when should you just take a leap and go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadnight258)
    Ive always wanted to go to uni however its already half term and im in yr13 and STILL don't know what i want to study so I'm contemplating a gap year. I have no particular career direction in mind (hence not knoeing what degree) and i feel like im missing something from my life at the moment and im not sure how to fix that and a structured gap year seems like a viable option. My biggest con for this is that im already a drifter, will a gap year just lead to me drifting even more?? What's your opinion om gap years? When should you take one and when should you just take a leap and go to uni?
    Make sure you spend time working, if a uni interviews you asking how you spent it and you said you went "travelling" to Thailand or Magaluf they really won't be impressed, because they'll know you spent a year partying. Maybe try different jobs and hobbies out. I'm the biggest drifter going at 19 and I'm still confused about what job I want so I know how you feel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadnight258)
    I'm the same, I'm confused but I know I want to go to university. I am taking a year out to give me some direction, it seems like a better plan rather then applying to quickly and hating it, or wasting money by dropping out.

ReputationRep:
    There's no point applying to a course just because you feel obliged to. University doesn't require you to enter at 18. Take a year out, if you need to take more. You may find that you realise what you want to do, but equally you may settle into a career and not need uni after all.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.