Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I realistically send back this huge and fragile item I ordered? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I ordered a massive, expensive and fragile item the other day (a follow up from this thread in which I asked what should I do if I'm out the house http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3681203 ). However, I'm unfortunately extremely disappointed with it and want to send it back. They allow you to return the product within a month for a full refund.

There is one problem: the box is huge and the contents are fragile. To give you some idea, the box is 16 inches by 24 inches by 20 inches, and weighs about 25kg.

The post office is about 2 miles away so I can't walk (I would look stupid carrying a massive box and I could easily drop it). I would look really stupid if I took the bus and, again, I could possibly drop it and break it. I don't have a car to take it in. I don't have any family or friends who could help me out.

What is the best way of returning the item?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    I ordered a massive, expensive and fragile item the other day (a follow up from this thread in which I asked what should I do if I'm out the house http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3681203 ). However, I'm unfortunately extremely disappointed with it and want to send it back. They allow you to return the product within a month for a full refund.

There is one problem: the box is huge and the contents are fragile. To give you some idea, the box is 16 inches by 24 inches by 20 inches, and weighs about 25kg.

The post office is about 2 miles away so I can't walk (I would look stupid carrying a massive box and I could easily drop it). I would look really stupid if I took the bus and, again, I could possibly drop it and break it. I don't have a car to take it in. I don't have any family or friends who could help me out.

Suck it up and get on the bus. Then follow the procedures at the postal service branch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Animagus)
    Suck it up and get on the bus. Then follow the procedures at the postal service branch.
    No, the box is too big and too heavy. The contents are fragile. I could easily drop it, plus I would look like an idiot carrying a massive box through a crowded town centre to the post office.

Call up parcelforce?

ReputationRep:
    No, the box is too big and too heavy. The contents are fragile. I could easily drop it, plus I would look like an idiot carrying a massive box through a crowded town centre to the post office.
    Ok. Who seriously cares what you look like if you need to get something done? 2 miles is short as hell. Maybe there's a company you can bell up to take it, idk.

ReputationRep:
    Some delivery firms will collect at a cost.

Otherwise grow a pair and just carry it to the post office. Its not that big a box. Just take a break and put it down if its too heavy. If you're so worried about looking like an idiot you will just have to keep it and not have the money won't you...

ReputationRep:

Taxi.

ReputationRep:
    Yea. Is there a cab service where you are.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.