Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for the Software Development HND at Glasgow City College after I complete my A-Levels this year however they don't specify what A-Levels they require for entry as they have Highers only.

The Higher entry grade requirements are:
    Two Highers and three Standard Grades at Credit Level

Could someone please tell me what the equivalent of this would be at A-Level?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Dont know if you're allowed to bump your own theads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freddie.erg)
    I'm looking to apply for the Software Development HND at Glasgow City College after I complete my A-Levels this year however they don't specify what A-Levels they require for entry as they have Highers only.

The Higher entry grade requirements are:
    Two Highers and three Standard Grades at Credit Level

Could someone please tell me what the equivalent of this would be at A-Level?

Thanks.
    I believe that's roughly equivalent to 3 Bs at GCSE and 2 Cs at AS. However, you'd probably be better phoning/emailing them for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topo15)
    I believe that's roughly equivalent to 3 Bs at GCSE and 2 Cs at AS. However, you'd probably be better phoning/emailing them for clarification.
    Oh right, so if I'm doing my A2's now does that mean I'm going to be seriously over qualified for the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freddie.erg)
    Oh right, so if I'm doing my A2's now does that mean I'm going to be seriously over qualified for the course?
    If you're predicted at least BCC for A2 then I would say so. I'm unsure if the HND system exists in the rUK, but it is worth more than an A2 but less than a degree if I remember correctly. You might be better off checking the requirements for some universities for Computer Science. If you don't meet the requirements, I would recommend a foundation year at a university you want to go to, or resitting/taking an extra year to boost your predicted grades. However, HNDs will allow you accelerated entry into a Scottish university in most instances (usually entry into 2nd or 3rd year of a 4 year course) if that's the path you want to follow or can act as good qualifications on their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topo15)
    If you're predicted at least BCC for A2 then I would say so. I'm unsure if the HND system exists in the rUK, but it is worth more than an A2 but less than a degree if I remember correctly. You might be better off checking the requirements for some universities for Computer Science. If you don't meet the requirements, I would recommend a foundation year at a university you want to go to, or resitting/taking an extra year to boost your predicted grades. However, HNDs will allow you accelerated entry into a Scottish university in most instances (usually entry into 2nd or 3rd year of a 4 year course) if that's the path you want to follow or can act as good qualifications on their own.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm predicted BCD but realistically I'm looking at CCD and regardless my current A-Levels have little to do with Software Design (what I want to do)

I think gaining an HND/C will be my best option.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.