Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry or Chemical Engineering? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know I want to study one of the two at uni, and currently have 6 courses I am interested in, 4 to chemistry and 2 to chemical engineering. I'm doing national 5 (SG) physics this year as well as AH maths and chemistry, the nat 5 physics is because I couldn't take higher this year. But now I'm starting to have doubts as to whether chemical engineering is right for me, and whether I should only apply to one chemical engineering and the rest chemistry? Has anyone done either course and have any advice, especially about what studying chemical engineering is like and whether I would enjoy it, or whether I should go for something I know better ie chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweatpea_98)
    I know I want to study one of the two at uni, and currently have 6 courses I am interested in, 4 to chemistry and 2 to chemical engineering. I'm doing national 5 (SG) physics this year as well as AH maths and chemistry, the nat 5 physics is because I couldn't take higher this year. But now I'm starting to have doubts as to whether chemical engineering is right for me, and whether I should only apply to one chemical engineering and the rest chemistry? Has anyone done either course and have any advice, especially about what studying chemical engineering is like and whether I would enjoy it, or whether I should go for something I know better ie chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First thing to note, although they both sound quite similar, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering are very different subjects. I found that there was a surprisingly little amount of chemistry within my course, and even then it was mostly physical chemistry (dealing with rates of reaction, rate constants, thermodynamics).

Chem Eng is very much maths based, so be prepared for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny360)
    First thing to note, although they both sound quite similar, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering are very different subjects. I found that there was a surprisingly little amount of chemistry within my course, and even then it was mostly physical chemistry (dealing with rates of reaction, rate constants, thermodynamics).

Chem Eng is very much maths based, so be prepared for that.
    Thank you, I would say maths is my strongest subject with chemistry just behind that, but I'm more interested in the career prospects for chemistry than maths. How much physics is in your course? And how difficult would you say the course is? I just feel like I shouldn't be applying for an engineering course without physics...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I would say maths is my strongest subject with chemistry just behind that, but I'm more interested in the career prospects for chemistry than maths. How much physics is in your course? And how difficult would you say the course is? I just feel like I shouldn't be applying for an engineering course without physics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did Physics up to A2. Besides a part of one module dealing with SI units that I remember doing at AS Physics, I don't recognise any of my course as having anything to do with Physics. Really just seems to be maths and chemistry, so I really wouldn't worry about not having Physics.

The course is not easy, it is a difficult subject with a fairly large expected workload, however if you keep on top of it you'll be fine. If you let it pile up you could find yourself in bother though; we had a design project to do at the end of year that relied on much of the theory of our previous modules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny360)
    I did Physics up to A2. Besides a part of one module dealing with SI units that I remember doing at AS Physics, I don't recognise any of my course as having anything to do with Physics. Really just seems to be maths and chemistry, so I really wouldn't worry about not having Physics.

The course is not easy, it is a difficult subject with a fairly large expected workload, however if you keep on top of it you'll be fine. If you let it pile up you could find yourself in bother though; we had a design project to do at the end of year that relied on much of the theory of our previous modules
    That's good to hear thank you, where is it you are studying? I guess most courses are almost identical so it should be okay. When writing your personal statement did you talk about work experience etc? I've not been able to get any just I wasn't sure how important it was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's good to hear thank you, where is it you are studying? I guess most courses are almost identical so it should be okay. When writing your personal statement did you talk about work experience etc? I've not been able to get any just I wasn't sure how important it was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm studying Queen's University Belfast. Not sure about the courses in other Uni's, because since QUB is accredited with IChemE, is a Russell Group Uni and my fees would only be ~£3000 a year I never planned on going to anywhere else in the UK. QUB don't look at my PS at all, they rely only on grades. Initially I planned on doing Maths/Physics courses and only after I'd written my statement did I decide I wanted to do Chem Eng and I never bothered changing it. On the open days both the heads of Physics and Chemistry/Chem Eng told me that they don't read them at all.

No idea what other Uni's think of statements

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.