Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Black box insurance and business use? watch

ReputationRep:
    So my job involves going to different clients for parts of the year but it's more expensive. I've decided to go with the social, domestic pleasure and commuting to a single place of work.

This would be fine but are black box's gps linked so they can see what roads I'm using and where I'm stopping for how long etc.?

Will business use crop up and they'll ask for me to buy business coverage?

ReputationRep:
    If you are using it for work you need business insurance - end of. If they catch you out you'll invalidate your insurance and that really won't be worth it, regardless of what savings you may make now.

ReputationRep:
    Get business coverage or you are wasting your money on insurance.

If you have an accident its the first thing the Police will check that your insurance is valid and when the insurance company say No, its 6 points and a hefty fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    So my job involves going to different clients for parts of the year but it's more expensive. I've decided to go with the social, domestic pleasure and commuting to a single place of work.

This would be fine but are black box's gps linked so they can see what roads I'm using and where I'm stopping for how long etc.?

Will business use crop up and they'll ask for me to buy business coverage?
    Will they do anything about it? Almost certainly not.

Will the police do something about it if they stop you and check your insurance details? Yes they will.

Will your insurance refuse to pay out if you have an accident when you've been using your car for business without declaring it on your insurance? Yes they will.

For the sake of a few extra quid don't be an ass, pay for business insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a guy on a TV Cops programme who was stopped because his tail light was out.
    While chatting to the cop he mentioned that he was delivering a box of tea that his company sold and the cop immediately decided that he needed business insurance, and checked the policy.
    the guy wasn't covered and was fined, had points added and had his car impounded.

let alone the penalties if you actually hurt someone.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if your work insures your vehicle or not. When I delivered pizzas, Pizza Hut insured my vehicle when I was at work. My personal insurance covered me to drive to a single place of work. The moment I clocked on, my personal insurance stopped covering me and my work insurance started to. The reverse when I clocked out.

If your work doesn't cover you with their own insurance, then you definitely need to get business insurance. I'd definitely speak to them about it though, they should be covering the extra cost IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Depends if your work insures your vehicle or not. When I delivered pizzas, Pizza Hut insured my vehicle when I was at work. My personal insurance covered me to drive to a single place of work. The moment I clocked on, my personal insurance stopped covering me and my work insurance started to. The reverse when I clocked out.

If your work doesn't cover you with their own insurance, then you definitely need to get business insurance. I'd definitely speak to them about it though, they should be covering the extra cost IMO.
    Well they pay 45p per mile for mileage and the cost of extra insurance is included in that claim.

Either way posters, I phoned direct line and it turns out I chose business use when getting a quote anyway, so I'm pretty chuffed.

And in my line of work, if caught lying over insurance, it could get me kicked out of my institute, so yeah, I'm going to get covered. Although I do know many don't bother with it as it is extra expense whatever angle you look at it from.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.